Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power supply or motherboard or ???

Last response: in Components
July 25, 2010 11:15:18 AM

Specs:

Vigor gaming build from Nov. '09, with dual video cards (GE Force 275's, if I remember correctly), Asus P6T motherboard and an intel i7 cpu. Running win7 64x.

Build used the generic Vigor case + their 850W power supply.

Background:

~May of this year, the power supply completely stopped working. Using this forum, it was (correctly) identified that my psu was dead and that I should replace it with a brand name psu. The Corsair TX850W was recommended, and was likewise highly regarded on newegg. I bought and installed that in June of this year.

Current situation:

Machine worked fine from June through mid-July. Absolutely no problems. However, now when I try to boot up, the machine starts, gets about 10-15 seconds into boot up (to the point where it shows me the window of "boot Windows normally" or the 'you_were_screwed_last_time_so_boot_here' (paraphrasing) options. Doesn't matter what I do, either select one or wait a couple seconds, and the machine will power off. About 3 seconds will pass and the machine will automatically start itself back up again, unless I unplug the cord or throw the psu power switch in the back. This will apparently cycle indefinitely (though I'm not about to test that theory :-> ).

My thoughts:

First, I have little to no experience in computers...I did build one about 12 years ago, but that might as well have been built using sticks and rubberbands compared to the components today. I know enough to replace a psu successfullly (I hope?!?), but little else beyond what I can read about, etc.

My plan is to test the psu via the paper-clip method from Corsair's website to see if the psu is bad. I suspect it is not (<2 months old, but who knows). If it /is/ bad, I have the following question...

Q1) Could there be an underlying problem in the motherboard or another component that would have killed the first PSU and damaged the second one? Or did I just get unlucky and draw two bad PSU's in a row?

If the PSU is fine, then my question is:

Q2) What would be your suspicion on the cause of something making the psu power up partway, then shut down...only to repower up in 3-4 seconds? Would have to be the motherboard, right? Would it be something that could be solved by flashing the bias (guess I'd have to read up on doing that!)? I know the Asus board has a reset button, would that potentially be a solution? If not the motherboard, would it likely be something shorting out?

Ok, thanks in advance. By the time I read your answers, hopefully I will have had the opportunity to test the psu and be able to act on your suggestions (though being a home-alone dad of a 2 and 5 year old does not often give time for delicate electronic work!).

-Kevin Bernatz

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 12:04:26 PM

I would start by reinserting the 24 pin atx connector and 12v ps connector; you may have a bad connection somewhere. I had a problem with a connector that barely reached and finally untangled the power supply wire cluster which solved my problem allowing the lead to reach without any pressure on the wires. Flashing the board bios won't fix your problem. You can try reinstalling the whole motherboard, but you will have to draw a diagram as you go, or you may forget how to reassemble the system. It may be touching something underneath or against the backplate (i/o shield). I have to bend one or two of the tangs on the backplate up when sliding the board against it to prevent metal contact inside the ports.
July 26, 2010 12:53:35 AM

[SOLVED]

I Luv you man :-). Everything is working fine now after unplugging the two connectors that you mentioned and replugging them in - making sure they were good and snug. I also took some air and blew out the system (definitely had some dust in there...wonder if that might have been part of the problem, too?). But been several boots now and all is well. THANKS!!!

-K

o1die said:
I would start by reinserting the 24 pin atx connector and 12v ps connector; you may have a bad connection somewhere. I had a problem with a connector that barely reached and finally untangled the power supply wire cluster which solved my problem allowing the lead to reach without any pressure on the wires. Flashing the board bios won't fix your problem. You can try reinstalling the whole motherboard, but you will have to draw a diagram as you go, or you may forget how to reassemble the system. It may be touching something underneath or against the backplate (i/o shield). I have to bend one or two of the tangs on the backplate up when sliding the board against it to prevent metal contact inside the ports.

m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2010 12:53:54 AM

Best answer selected by kbernatz.
m
l
July 26, 2010 11:19:38 AM

Update: Ok, I have to take back my love ;-). System worked fine for maybe 2-3 hours, but then the same symptoms hit. Bleh.

Did some digging around on the Asus website (P6T motherboard) and found ALOT of similar issues with this board. Sadly, there are at least three theories of what is wrong, with the only answer that appears to be guarenteed of "throw in trash and buy something else".

1) There is a short somewhere on the mb, which is causing the auto-reset feature/"bug". Some have reported success disconnecting the feature's connector on the mb. Others have had to do it on the case (short to case?)

2) Flashing the bios, but then following the steps of clearing CMOS, restoring default BIOS settings, shutting down, restoring defaults a second time. But seems odd that this would work, but one person apparently experienced success with this....but for how long?

3) Similar to 1 above, but remove all components and re-install to insure no short. However, at least one person reported the exact behavior observed with the mb removed and on a non-conductive surface....

I believe my board is under warrantee (system built in 10/09), so I'm wondering if I don't see about getting a replacement board....but that means having to install the CPU myself on the new board, which makes me nervous. #sigh#

-K

kbernatz said:
[SOLVED]

I Luv you man :-). Everything is working fine now after unplugging the two connectors that you mentioned and replugging them in - making sure they were good and snug. I also took some air and blew out the system (definitely had some dust in there...wonder if that might have been part of the problem, too?). But been several boots now and all is well. THANKS!!!

-K

m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 1:41:22 PM

If you want to flash the bios, give it a go. You must disable any "boot block" settings in the bios, then the same for any firewalls in windows and your virus protection software firewall. I've never used asus flash software, so I can't advise you there. If you have a bad flash, just tell asus your board won't post for any rma requests. You don't have to go into any details.
m
l
!