Ready to Install Graphics Card - GTX 275 onto Asus P6T

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Hi guys,
Well, I have successfully installed the Noctua heatsink and memory, (thanks to those who gave me help and advice) so I guess it's time for the graphics card. It's an EVGA GeForce GTX 275 1792 MB card and is going on an Asus P6T MB. I am putting it into the blue PCIe 2.0x16_1 slot closest to the rear ports of the MB. It will be the uppermost card when the MB is in the case. Is this one OK? It looks like it will cover over the short, white, PCI Express 1 slot next to it, and I had to remove two rear slot covers.
Also, there are several connecting adapters/wires that came with the card. I am assuming I need a power connection for the fan. If so, where do I connect it? (Power supply or MB.) Do I need to connect anything else? Thanks again. Tom

Solution
No... Your power supply should have two 6pin PCIe connectors (or one 6pin & one 6+2pin) coming directly out of the power supply. You plug those into your GPU. You only need to use what you are talking about when your power doesn't have enough of the PCIe connectors. In this case, you connect the black to the GPU and the white to a Molex plug on your power supply.

Can you list your power supply make & model and I can give further direction if needed??

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks for the help, Tecmo. I am assuming the power connectors are the black, six pin on one end and white connector on the other end ones. I got two of those. I bought a OEM card that was shipped in a plain box with cables and DVD but no instructions. Also, I wasn't sure if any cables that I may need would go to the MB directly or PSU. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Tom :hello:

tecmo34

Administrator
No... Your power supply should have two 6pin PCIe connectors (or one 6pin & one 6+2pin) coming directly out of the power supply. You plug those into your GPU. You only need to use what you are talking about when your power doesn't have enough of the PCIe connectors. In this case, you connect the black to the GPU and the white to a Molex plug on your power supply.

Can you list your power supply make & model and I can give further direction if needed??

Solution

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks again. It's a Corsair TX750W power supply. Good thing I mentioned the cables. Seems the hardest thing about doing a first build is what cables are needed and where to connect them. Tom

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

Hi Tecmo,
I am making some progress, video card is now in and I mounted the power supply. I also read both the links you gave me on steps and troubleshooting a new build, and you did a fine job with great pictures. :) My problem seems to be the specific locations to hook up all those wires and connectors. By the way, my case is a Lian Li -62B case.
As I thought when I started this build, the cables and wires would be my biggest worry. The P6T came with a little white adapter that allowed the connecting of some of the case wires (Power SW, Reset SW, HDD Led, Power Ground, etc.). I had no problem connecting and matching up those wires, but there are also two gray cables that seem to come from the bottom, front, middle of the case from what appear to be LEDs on the bottom front panel. Each cable has several thin wires with a single pin (female) black connector. The first cable has 4 wires labeled GND1, VCC1, DATA+2, and DATA-2. The second cable has 5 wires labeled VCC 1, GND1, DATA+1, DATA-1, and SHIELD. Unfortunaltely, no instructions with this case, and they even sent me the wrong screws with no standoffs. I had to get them on my own. (The receptionist was no help, and I couldn't even understand her.) Could you tell me where these go?
Lastly, the MB came with some accessories such as 4 Serial ATA signal cables, an Ultra DMA 133/100/66 cable, bridge connectors, etc. Do I need these? Thanks again for all your help. Regards, Tom

(P.S. Is "cable management" putting the power cables underneath the motherboard panel? Both sides of my case come off, and the motherboard mounting panel slides out the back of the case.)

tecmo34

Administrator
Those are the USB connectors... Here is what I found after doing some Google searching...

VCC goes to power, Gnd to DND, (doesn't really matter which) , Shield
to GND, and the Datas to Data. Here you must keep the + and -
straight, and the X and Y straight (which will translate to 1 and 2).

PWR= VCC1,2
GND= GND1,2,Shield
USBDx+ = DATA+1
USBDx- = DATA-1
USBDy+= DATA+2
USBDy- = DATA-2

(Hope that helps!!)

You use the SATA cables to connect your hard drive(s) and DVD drive(s) to your motherboard. The IDE cable isn't required (hopefully you aren't running an IDE :) ) and the bridge is for if you are running dual SLI cards!

Cable management is putting power cables underneath the motherboard panel or neatly behind the hard drive tray. It is bascially making the case appearance clean and organized to improve air flow. Here are two pics of my recent builds to give you a visual idea...

ComputerPic4.jpg

DSC_0580.jpg

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

Hi Tecmo,
I found the USB connectors on my MB as well as the page and diagram in my P6T manual. It shows 3 USB connectors, horizontal in shape, and each has 9 pins - 5 on the top row and 4 on the bottom row. The first connector is called USB910, and the top row of pins are named USB+5V, USB_P10-, USB_P10+, GND, and NC. The bottom row are named USB+5V,USB_P9-, USB_P9+, and GND. The second connector is called USB1112 and the top pins are named USB+5V, USB_P12-, USB_P12+, GND, and NC. The bottom row are USB+5V, USB_P11-, USB_P11+, and GND. The third connector is called USB78, and the top 5 pins are USB+5v, USB_P8-, USB_P8+, GND, and NC. the bottom row are USB+5V, USB_P7-, USB_P7+, and GND. Also, the first pins in each connector's bottom row has a small "pin 1" printed next to it. Which one do I use?

After reading your response above, I also found a small USB "Q Connector" that the directions say to connect those little plugs to I described above. Then the whole Q Connector can be attached to one of the above USB connectors, I assume. The Q Connector has 4 pins called +5V, P1-, P1+, and GND, and a 5 row of pins called NC, GND, P2+, P2-, and +5V. How do my plugs match up with these? Thanks again for all your advice and seeing me through this. Tom

tecmo34

Administrator
"Q Connector" - 4pins
+5V = VCC1
P1- = DATA-2
P1+ = DATA+2
GND = GND1

"Q Connector" - 5pins
NC = SHIELD
GND = GND1
P2+ = DATA+1
P2- = DATA-1
+5V = VCC 1

This should be how the "Q Connector" matches up with your case connectors. The order might not be the same but they should match up to each other.

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks Tecmo for clearing that up for me. I was worried that all the number "2" plugs had to match up with the "2" side of the connector and the "1" plugs with the "1" side. I guess the main concern is that the ones and twos are not mixed on each side. Does it matter what MB connector I use - USB910, USB1112, or USB78? Tom

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

Hi Tecmo,
Well, I think I am almost done! It's just power and data connectors now and I think I will be able to close the case. I have a SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM HD and an HP SATA DVD. I connected both red SATA cables to the drives and I think I picked the right connectors on the MB but just wanted to make sure.

There are six "ICH10R 7-pin" RED SATA connectors SATA1 through SATA6. Two pairs open to the side and 5 and 6 open upwards. The P6T MB discusses the ability to create a "RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 configuration with Intel Matrix Storage Technology", whatever that means, with these connectors. I am assuming I can use any of these to connect my drives?

What confused me is there are also two ORANGE "JMicron JMB322 Serial ATA" connectors that it says are also for serial ATA hard disk drives. It then discusses creating an "EZ Backup or Super Speed" configuration with "Drive Expert Technology" which again I know nothing about. Both Orange connectors point to the side and are called SATA_E12, - Port0 and Port1. Which connectors are correct? Thanks again for all your help. Tom

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Hi Tecmo,
Well thanks to you and Tom's Hardware I have completed my first build! I still haven't turned on the power, but when I do, what's next? I assume the BIOS is next, but I know nothing about setting it up, nor what the steps are after the BIOS. Is there any place I can get a step-by-step tutorial on the new PC build setup and settings? Again, thanks for all your help so far. Tom

tecmo34

Administrator
First thing you are going to want to do is install your OS, don't worry at this point making any required BIOS adjustments.

So when you hit the power button, the PC will fire up and you'll see the BIOS screen start to load. Hit the "DEL" key on your numbers pad to enter your BIOS. You'll want to adjust your biit sequence to boot from CD/DVD first (review your motherboard manual). Insert your OS disk, hit Save & Exit, which will restart your PC. Once it restarts, hit a key to boot from CD/DVD. Follow the OS instructions until it is completely installed.

After your OS is installed, you'll want to change the boot order in your BIOS to boot from your hard drive. PC will fire back up and you'll want to install your drivers. Start with your graphics card's first, followed by your motherboard's and finish up with installing your anti-virus software. Once complete, go through the nice process of running on the Windows updates until complete.

Next, you will want to install any games, programs & extra you want at this point. Typically, I would recommend stressing / testing your PC's stability at this point but since we haven't done BIOS setup, I recommend you play around with your PC and start enjoying it. After a few days or so, you can revisit your BIOS and make sure your RAM is at the correct settings or whatever else you want to do like overclock?

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks Tecmo. I'll see how it goes. Tom

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Hi Tecmo,
I wish I had good news. Figures, my ususal good luck :??: I did my first power up, and she started up no problem, blue power light on the case, all fans running except GTX 275 video card - two case fans front and back, PSU fan, two Noctua heatsink fans, but no Video card fan. A green reset light and red power light on the P6T MB so I know its getting power, but that seems to be it. Keyboard is plugged in the purple connector in the back but no keyboard lights, mouse plugged into front usb but little red light not on, and monitor turned on (and plugged in) but nothing but a black screen and no beeps after startup as mentioned in the mb manual. Main PSU connector is in the mb connector, disk drives are hooked to the sata power and data cables, there are two pci-e power cables into the video card. Also, I think I have the little wires into the Asus Q-Connector correct, as well as the front usb wires. I can't think of anything else. Can you help me troubleshoot this? Thanks. Tom

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

Tecmo,
Thanks to your troubleshooting guide, I'm hoping I found the problem. Funny thing is that it's the first thing mentioned in the Guide and it says its the most common error made by new builders. I know I connected the 24 pin ATX power cable, but I thought the EATX12V was only used if I didn't have the 24 pin. Hopefully I can find the cable from the PSU and that will do the trick. I'll let you know. Thanks. Tom