What would be a good SSD to buy?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • SSD
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 21, 2010 2:11:26 AM

I am building a new computer and was planning on moving to an ssd for the hard drive. Ill be buying the parts in about 1-2 weeks. Ill use the computer mostly for internet, word, some video watching, no gaming.
Mainly I want a reliable drive that is fairly quick for small things, not necessarily the fastest one out there. My storage range is from 100-150 GB.

This is what I currently have for other components:

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 955
MB:ASUS M4A89GTD PRO
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB)
PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W

Any suggestions would be great

More about : good ssd buy

Best solution

May 21, 2010 2:21:18 AM

Wait just as long as you can ... for the SSD ... because, things are REALLY shakin', just right this moment, in the SSD arena.

Right now, (especially) and, for the rest of this year, ... it is a MAD race to get the next-gen/scaling out.

INTEL just started shipping ~24nm (20nm class) MLC parts and INTEL and various InDILInX integrators will be releasing newer and cheaper (per GB) MLC drives in coming weeks.

... Don't go as far as to install Win7 on a mechanical drive, tho ...

Currently ... By order of preference/performance, here are my (only) recommendations.

INTEL 80GB X25/G2

Corsair "P"-series ... i.e.: "P128"

OCZ: Any VERTEX drive (Vertex LE Prefered)

Kingston 64GB SSDNow $140 (not super-fast but snappy and reliable ... cheapest).

= Alvin = Full TRIM support is a mandatory prerequisite.

May 21, 2010 8:40:48 AM

I'm personally quite satisfied with my budget 60GB OCZ Solid V2s. In RAID0 they out perform any 120gb on the market and are cheaper to boot. They support TRIM (non-raid) they also support offline garbage collection so even in RAID they stay well maintained.
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2010 8:55:24 AM

a4mula said:
I'm personally quite satisfied with my budget 60GB OCZ Solid V2s. In RAID0 they out perform any 120gb on the market and are cheaper to boot. They support TRIM (non-raid) they also support offline garbage collection so even in RAID they stay well maintained.

So is there ANY way to avoid having to move win/browser swap/temp files to a non SSD ?

I keep hearing all this crap about needing to set up win7 all tweaked and geeked ... WHILE ... the schlub on the Corsair site says "Just use it".

wtfuwt?

m
l
May 21, 2010 9:03:55 AM

Win7 does a decent job of recognizing SSD's and making adjustments accordingly. That being said there are still a TON of tweaks you can do to optimize your drives. I personally turned off search and prefetch. I disabled virtual memory, I swapped my browser cache to a RAMDisk (Highly recommended, both from performance and security aspect). Oh, I also moved my users directory (by far the biggest pita of the bunch).

Is any of it necessary? <shrug> I honestly can't say. I was concerned about any unneeded writes to the drive as that's what slows them down and ultimately will shorten their lifespan (MLC anyways). I've yet to hear of anyone claiming failure due to not doing these things, but it was a better safe than sorry kind of deal, plus I enjoy tweaking.
m
l
May 21, 2010 9:44:30 AM

a4mula said:
Win7 does a decent job of recognizing SSD's and making adjustments accordingly. That being said there are still a TON of tweaks you can do to optimize your drives. I personally turned off search and prefetch. I disabled virtual memory, I swapped my browser cache to a RAMDisk (Highly recommended, both from performance and security aspect). Oh, I also moved my users directory (by far the biggest pita of the bunch).

Is any of it necessary? <shrug> I honestly can't say. I was concerned about any unneeded writes to the drive as that's what slows them down and ultimately will shorten their lifespan (MLC anyways). I've yet to hear of anyone claiming failure due to not doing these things, but it was a better safe than sorry kind of deal, plus I enjoy tweaking.

RAMDISK? Physical or virtual(sw)?

I have not seen that many "affordable" options.

Edit rigs have always used a dedicated (short) partition (on a dedicated drive) for the swap file, just so that the heads would always be hovering right there.

I really wish it were possible to a have a 16GB (RAmdrive) for render>>to and a 2GB for a swap drive.

Anyhow ... Guess another 6 months in cryo-stasis might advance the state of the art.

I love tweaking, too ... But I am now 50 years old ... I have stuff I need to get done and tweaking isn't that high on my list, at this late stage.

= Al =
m
l
May 21, 2010 2:55:19 PM

Quote:
I keep hearing all this crap about needing to set up win7 all tweaked and geeked ...

We have 3 new CAD workstations, all with overclocked i5 processors and 64-bit Win7. For the first one we specified a 60GB (64GB?) OCZ SSD. We were not impressed by the speed of the machine so for the next 2 we bought Velociraptors. We can't tell any difference in speed of the 3 machines.
m
l
May 21, 2010 3:37:53 PM

cadder said:
Quote:
I keep hearing all this crap about needing to set up win7 all tweaked and geeked ...

We have 3 new CAD workstations, all with overclocked i5 processors and 64-bit Win7. For the first one we specified a 60GB (64GB?) OCZ SSD. We were not impressed by the speed of the machine so for the next 2 we bought Velociraptors. We can't tell any difference in speed of the 3 machines.

Well the Raptor (SATA-I) that is my current boot drive has been great but I had 30GBx30GB RAID-0 and one of those Raptors "blew up" ... messy cause that was my system partition ... Lost the RAID-0 media volume of my backup system a week later and that completely wrecked my life (taxes, etc.).

I can't wait for the day that the last mechanical HDD on Planet Earth rolls off the line ...

... SSD does make sense for RELIABILITY ... especially in RAID configs.

I just wish (of course), they would hurry up and make their use at least as simple and transparent as HDDs and bring the price to the mainstream.

= duh =
m
l
May 21, 2010 4:11:24 PM

Alvin Smith said:
So is there ANY way to avoid having to move win/browser swap/temp files to a non SSD ?

wtfuwt?

There is, just set up Junction Points in all the folders where the temp stuff goes on the SSD, and the far end of the junction to w/e HD with lots of space on it you want.

m
l
May 21, 2010 7:28:22 PM

banthracis said:
There is, just set up Junction Points in all the folders where the temp stuff goes on the SSD, and the far end of the junction to w/e HD with lots of space on it you want.

That one ricocheted right off the top of my helmet ... Don't bother to expound or attempt to clarify.

up till today, the only junctions I knew about were "npn-pnp", Thermal and ....

... "Petticoat":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd9WJNy7B9s

Got my entire sex education from that show ... "tweat"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8__RatJ-P4Y&feature=rela...

= Alvin =

yup ... Daddy Floyd is also "GOOBER"
m
l
May 21, 2010 7:31:13 PM

I'll just wait till they *all* say "just hook it up and use it" ...

... Can't I just say, "SSD? ... REFRESH THY SELF ! " every night, before I crash out?

... What is the BFD that all this garbage collection and refreshing cannot happen when drive has been idle for over 20 min ?

= Al =
m
l
May 21, 2010 10:46:20 PM

Alvin Smith said:
That one ricocheted right off the top of my helmet ... Don't bother to expound or attempt to clarify.
= Alvin =

yup ... Daddy Floyd is also "GOOBER"

Here's a full explanation by someone else =P
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1336207282

I use it mainly for SOASE mods, because they HAVE to be on the c: drive for stupid reasons, and I've got a good 15 gb worth of those.
m
l
May 21, 2010 11:07:23 PM

Alvin Smith said:
Wait just as long as you can ... for the SSD ... because, things are REALLY shakin', just right this moment, in the SSD arena.

Right now, (especially) and, for the rest of this year, ... it is a MAD race to get the next-gen/scaling out.

INTEL just started shipping ~24nm (20nm class) MLC parts and INTEL and various InDILInX integrators will be releasing newer and cheaper (per GB) MLC drives in coming weeks.

... Don't go as far as to install Win7 on a mechanical drive, tho ...

Currently ... By order of preference/performance, here are my (only) recommendations.

INTEL 80GB X25/G2

Corsair "P"-series ... i.e.: "P128"

OCZ: Any VERTEX drive (Vertex LE Prefered)

Kingston 64GB SSDNow $140 (not super-fast but snappy and reliable ... cheapest).

= Alvin = Full TRIM support is a mandatory prerequisite.

About how long would i have to wait for these new drives to come out?
m
l
May 21, 2010 11:22:35 PM

Intel G3 SSD's are due for Q4 2010.

P series is already out
Vertex 2 and LE just came out, but both are very expensive and very high $/GB.
In fact, both are about $1 more per usable gigabyte than the Intel drives.

SSDnow is also out, but it's performance is really meh.
m
l
May 22, 2010 3:36:32 AM

Just a little side bet ... i'll bet the G3s will be out in 6 weeks or less ... the race is on to the next scaling and Intel started shiping to OEMs, like, yesterday.

Wouldn't bet more than $5(USD) tho.

= Al =
m
l
May 29, 2010 4:21:02 AM

Best answer selected by pdiffley.
m
l
!