Need help on BIOS entries for GA-X58A-UD3R

Bigdog45

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Would like some help from anyone familiar with the Gigabyte CMOS Setup Utility.

I just built my first computer and am confused with the entries in the BIOS..have done research but not quite getting it..Just don't want to make any mistakes.

I'll explain what and where I have things connected and what I would like to do..

I have one SSD connected to the SATA2_0,one HDD on SATA2_1 and the other HDD on SATA2_2

CD/DVD ROM is on GSATA2_8

I would like to get the SSD on the ICH and put in AHCI mode,the other two indentical HDD's in RAID 1 mode(my choice).The rear panel eSATA controller and the GSATA2_8_9 controller all in AHCI too.

In the advanced Bios features I have HD Boot Priority Set in the correct order - SSD,HDD & HDD.

What would be the first,second & third boot device.?
The delay for HDD is at 0 seconds-default
Init display is defaulted at (PCI)..I have a graphics card installed in 16x PCIE slot one.

Intergrated Peripherals screen

ICH SATA control mode - what do I indicate here?
eSATA Control mode - what do I enter here? ........

........My main concern is how do I know the SSD is in AHCI mode and the 2 HDD's are in RAID 1 mode?

Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated .....

bilbat

Splendid
I'll try to get going tomorrow AM to walk you through this - I do need to know what brand and model SSD you have, to determine where it's best taken advantage of. It's too bad you're a bit early here - HighPoint has released (but is not yet shipping) their RocketHybrid 122x Series controllers - combines an SSD with a hard disk to get the best of both!

If you're interested in a mild, but noticeable overclock in the same setup, will need CPU & RAM specs as well...

Bigdog45

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

I'll be utilizing a OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD Read up to 285MB/s..Write up to 275MB/s....4KB Random write:up to 50,000 IOPS

Intel i7 950 3.06 ghz LGA 1366 Bloomfield CPU

Taking advantage of the triple channel (3 x 2GB DDR3 1600Mhz PC3 12800 Corsair Dominator) Timing - 8-8-8-24 latency Intel XMP 1.65 Volts

Plan on installing Win7 Pro OEM System Builder on SSD,also would like to lower the page file,disable superfetch,disable Windows search/indexing and disable hibernate so space doesn't get sucked up so quickly.

Bigdog45 -

Bigdog45

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

PS - I think it would be better to go RAID O on the 2 Samsung 500GB Spinpoint 3's HDD

I now have the 2 HDD's connected to GSATA2 _8_9 and the SSD remains on the ICH CONNECTED to SATA2_0

DVD/CD ROM is connected to SATA2_4

Before doing anything, verify that you have the latest Firmware flashed to your SSD - http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_2,_Vertex_LE,_Agility_2/

Also, update your BIOS to that latest version - http://www.gigabyte.us/search/search.aspx?kw=GA-X58A-UD3R use the Q-Flash method with a formatted FAT32 USB.

Ports:
BIOS - [RAID(XHD)] ; the ICH10R is better for RAID
SATA2_0 {Blank}
SATA2_1 {Blank}
SATA2_2 {RAID HDD1}
SATA2_3 {RAID HDD2}

BIOS - [IDE]
SATA2_4 {Primary DVD/BR}
SATA2_5 {Blank DVD/BR (1 drive SATA) [or] Second DVD/BR}

BIOS - [AHCI] ; use the Marvell controller for you SSD *
GSATA3_6 {Primary SSD}
GSATA3_7 {Blank}

BIOS - [AHCI]
GSATA2_8 {Case eSATA or "dock"}
GSATA2_9 {Case eSATA or "dock"}

Boot in to BIOS 'Ctrl + I ' to set up the RAID for HDD refer to page 85-92 for full information.

@tecmo34 has a very good, won the award for best article, how to SSD guide - http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

* footnote: the GA-X58A-UD3R v1/2 have known issues with SSD + RAID, and the above ports is about your best option.

If these are your DATA drives i.e. 'important' data then NEVER use RAID 0, RAID 0 is fine for ONLY OS & Apps. RAID 0 is too volitlie, if you loose (1) 'either' HDD then 'poof' ALL of your data is bye-bye! :cry:

Bigdog45

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

There's a lot to take in here....when I go the OCZ link,would it explain step by step how to determine if the SSD has the latest firmware?

Basically I would like to install various software and games on the HDD.

What would be the best location to install security software?

The OCZ App reads the BIOS version -> http://www.ocztechnology.com/files/ssd_tools/OCZ%20Sandforce%20v128%20Guide.pdf you'll need, in OCZ case, a PC running Vista or Windows 7 to flash the SSD.

As far as the location, I tend to leave it on the Primary drive, in your case the SSD. You don't need to be overly worried about your SSD as you seem to be, regardless of the things you've read -- reaching the maximum Writes is nearly impossible. You'd need to have a setup that would constantly be rewriting your entire SSD for years before hitting its limit.

Bigdog45

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Here are my options:

Stay with what I have now.

Eliminate the SSD and go with only the 2 HDD's

Last-Sit on this build and wait for the latest technology drive to ship...and use that instead of the SSD I have now.

I've seen the Flash procedure not pooch the Windows once installed; no guarantees. Even if you use the 2 HDDs, don't RAID 0 them is used for your Data.

I would use the SSD and RAID 1 the HDDs as above. A 60GB SSD is really small, you could get a second and RAID 0 it to get 120GB which is minimum 'to me' for OS + Apps, but I then would be extremely cautious about running two RAIDs running off the MOBO.

In that case RAID the HDDs off a the MOBO from the ICH10R, and use a Dedicated/cheap RAID Controller {0, 1, 10} for the SSD.

Bigdog45

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

If this was your own build,what drive setup would you use for this particular MOBO?...How many HDD's and or what SSD..?

Bigdog45

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

My Bios version is FB

Went to the Gigabyte website and downloaded the files to a new flashdrive....inserted the flashdrive in BLACK rear panel USB.

I attempted 3 times to update the Bios in Q-Flash and the problem is that it's telling me no drive found .It's not recognizing the flash drive.

Why do you think this is happening?

Bigdog45

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

I would like your advice bilbat

I'm trying to flash the board and it's telling me no drive found when I'm in Q-Flash to update the Bios.
Flash Drive is FAT32 and the SATA3 Firmware selection is set to Auto

Bigdog45-