Migration of XP Profiles

I invite you to submit your comments on this issue. When an XP user moves
from a workgroup to a domain, the operating system generates a new user
profile based on the Default User profile. Let's take a user "jonr" who has
logged on to his workstation for 3 years and has quite a sizable investment
of files, settings, Favorites, mailbox settings, etc. His computer is now
going to be joined to a Windows 2000 Active Directory domain. What is your
opinion of the Best Practice solution to change this machines' domain status,
minimize the disruption of the users' settings/configurations, and minimize
the amount of time IT staff will need to invest in manually copying data from
the user's old profile (localcomputer/jonr) to the user's new profile
(domain/jonr)?
Is there a simpler way I've missed?
Thanks for your input! Jon
jonr451 at hotmail dot com
2 answers Last reply
More about migration profiles

    JonR wrote:
    > I invite you to submit your comments on this issue. When an XP user
    > moves from a workgroup to a domain, the operating system generates a
    > new user profile based on the Default User profile. Let's take a
    > user "jonr" who has logged on to his workstation for 3 years and has
    > quite a sizable investment of files, settings, Favorites, mailbox
    > settings, etc. His computer is now going to be joined to a Windows
    > 2000 Active Directory domain. What is your opinion of the Best
    > Practice solution to change this machines' domain status, minimize
    > the disruption of the users' settings/configurations, and minimize
    > the amount of time IT staff will need to invest in manually copying
    > data from the user's old profile (localcomputer/jonr) to the user's
    > new profile (domain/jonr)?
    > Is there a simpler way I've missed?
    > Thanks for your input! Jon
    > jonr451 at hotmail dot com

    I know there is a tool for it - I believe.. However, it can also be
    accomplished with some permission adjustments to the old profile and one
    registry entry.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    Proper SID for the new user after they logon once..
    "ProfileImagePath" value.. Set it to point to the old profile.

    The Domain User must have full rights to the old profile directory.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    JonR wrote:
    > I invite you to submit your comments on this issue. When an XP user moves
    > from a workgroup to a domain, the operating system generates a new user
    > profile based on the Default User profile. Let's take a user "jonr" who has
    > logged on to his workstation for 3 years and has quite a sizable investment
    > of files, settings, Favorites, mailbox settings, etc. His computer is now
    > going to be joined to a Windows 2000 Active Directory domain. What is your
    > opinion of the Best Practice solution to change this machines' domain status,
    > minimize the disruption of the users' settings/configurations, and minimize
    > the amount of time IT staff will need to invest in manually copying data from
    > the user's old profile (localcomputer/jonr) to the user's new profile
    > (domain/jonr)?
    > Is there a simpler way I've missed?
    > Thanks for your input! Jon
    > jonr451 at hotmail dot com

    If you need a scripted approach to handle a large number of machines
    and users, the User State Migration Tool is your friend.

    Description of the User State Migration Tool for Windows XP Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321197

    If you've only couple profiles to transfer, the File And Settings
    Transfer (F.A.S.T.) Wizard should suffice.

    HOW TO Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard By Using the Windows
    XP CD-ROM
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306186

    HOW TO Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard with a Wizard Disk in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306187

    Or, there is the "old fashioned," manual way:

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH