Lense for Nikon D70

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 11, 2004 5:20:17 PM

Dear Forumvisitors,

I decided to buy the Nikon D-70 camera. I am however in doubt to make the
right choice for the lense.

The standard lense Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70/3.5G IF ED seems nice, because it
has a good wide-angle range but just a small tele-range.
But I also consider the Nikkor Nikkor AF-S VR 24-120/ 3.5-5.6 G ED.
This lens has a smaller wide-angle range, but a bigger tele-range, and is
also stabilised.

What are the (dis-)advantages of the above lenses?

Eric

More about : lense nikon d70

December 11, 2004 5:20:18 PM

You just mentioned the disadvantages to both lenses. Good luck with the
Nikon D70, it's a great camera

"Eric Zwartjes" <h.zwartjes@chello.nl> wrote in message
> Dear Forumvisitors,
>
> I decided to buy the Nikon D-70 camera. I am however in doubt to make the
> right choice for the lense.
>
> The standard lense Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70/3.5G IF ED seems nice, because it
> has a good wide-angle range but just a small tele-range.
> But I also consider the Nikkor Nikkor AF-S VR 24-120/ 3.5-5.6 G ED.
> This lens has a smaller wide-angle range, but a bigger tele-range, and is
> also stabilised.
>
> What are the (dis-)advantages of the above lenses?
>
> Eric

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 7:53:59 PM

Eric Zwartjes <h.zwartjes@chello.nl> wrote:

>The standard lense Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70/3.5G IF ED seems nice, because it
>has a good wide-angle range but just a small tele-range.

It's also not terribly fast in the 50+ range, so you might want
to consider something like the 50mm f1.8 lens for low-light
shooting, which makes the camera very versatile.

>But I also consider the Nikkor Nikkor AF-S VR 24-120/ 3.5-5.6 G ED.
>This lens has a smaller wide-angle range, but a bigger tele-range, and is
>also stabilised.

There are a lot of reports that this lens is a bit 'soft',
especially at the higher focal lengths. I think it also
tends to zoom out if you point it downwards (a minor issue).
The VR is good because of the f5.6 at the high end.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

kep in mind that although the digutal camera maps an 18mm lens into maybe a
28 mm lens - and a 28 into a 45mm focal length that you will see distortion
at the edges of the image unlike a 28 or 45 mm lens.
!