Is my cpu temperature too high? - Phenom II 955 BE

technobot

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Hi, I have just finished my build and when I power it on I get a CPU temperature of 46 degrees celsius and I get a Motherboard (Asus m4a78l-m) temperature of 47 degree celsius. My room temperature is 27 degrees celsius.

I am using the Phenom stock cooler and I used arctic silver 5 thermal compound so I have no idea why the CPU temperature is 46 degrees celsius. Surely a CPU can't get to 46 degrees celsius in just 30 seconds.

The case I am using is a coolermaster elite 310 the one with the acrylic windows and it has one case fan that I am also using.

Please help, is this cpu temperature normal.

Thank you

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Are you doing any overclocking? This can cause much higher temperatures than a non-overclocked chip. Non-overclocked chips under load should be between 45 and 55 degrees Celsisus, and between 30 and 35 at idle.

When I bought my Athlon II, the heatsink came with thermal paste on it already. I don't know if this is the case for the Phenom II as well, but if it did and was not cleaned off, this can cause difficulty and higher temperatures than normal.

Make sure you applied the thermal compound correctly - improper application can cause issues with heat.

I'm no expert here, but it seems to me that the cooler would be just as important as the thermal compound - the best thermal compund with a stock cooler would not improve temps too much over the default compound.

The temperature celing for this chip seems to be ~62c, so you seem to be fine at the moment.

technobot

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010

Mine isn't overclocked, the heatsink didn't come with thermal pads or naything so I used arctic silver 5.

You know the rice grain method for thermal paste well I used half a grain of rice on my cpu, do you think that is a poblem?

Thanks all

technobot

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010

It is activated but people with no fans in there case have lower temperatures like 33 degrees celsius, I don't understand I haven't even overclocked this CPU.

theking2

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
What is wrong with a CPU temperature of 47 degrees? I'd say it's quit normal. If it stays there don't worry. If it, slowly, climbs up to 70-80 i'd start to worry.

Stock AMD heatsinks are quite good when mounted correctly.

By the way, yes, that stock heatsink DID have a thermal pad on it. You need to remove the heatsink, clean it, and reapply using the correct amount of thermal paste. Your temps are a little high for idle, but not terrible. Main thing is what does the CPU get up to under load? I like to see temps of about 58c max.