Sign in with
Your question

Does cpu cache matter?

Last response: in CPUs
July 25, 2010 1:31:38 PM

Hi i am looking at building a new computer so far all is good but i just have one question and that is

the motherboard i have is a gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H and the cpu i have is a amd phenom 2 x4 965 BE and is the 140 watt version but on the cpu support list on the gigabyte website it has my type of cpu but says it can only support up to 6 mb of cpu cache however on my cpu box it says it has 8 mb total cache would it be fine to use this cpu on this motherboard or should i send the mtoherboard back and get a different motherboard?

More about : cpu cache matter

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 4:18:00 PM

oh jeez, run cpus if you can and see how much cache is showing up

my guess is that the board is saying 6MB of L3 cache where the processor box says 8MB since it is adding the L2 and L3 cache together (512KB*4+6MB=8MB)
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 5:22:33 PM

^Yup, returning the Mobo is stupid as theres NOTHING wrong.

AMD boxes combine the L2(2MB) and the L3(6MB) to get the 8MB, while Mobos count them seperately, hence you only see 6 MB.

You're perfectly fine and theres no incompatibilities whatsoever.
m
l
July 25, 2010 5:32:46 PM

This might sound a little weird...but what is cpu cache anyway? I have heard this term so many times...and yap i am a complete newbie in the hardware arena!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 5:35:48 PM

evan4244 said:
This might sound a little weird...but what is cpu cache anyway? I have heard this term so many times...and yap i am a complete newbie in the hardware arena!

Read here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

The cache, in simple words, is just an fast buffer for the CPU to store data and/or decoded instructions.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 7:27:20 PM

evan4244 said:

Don't hijack other people's threads. Create your own :p 

has my type of cpu but says it can only support up to 6 mb of cpu cache

It doesn't say that. They are just listing the specs of the CPUs that are supported and that CPU has 6mb L3 cache. A motherboard does not need to address cache, I don't think.
m
l
July 26, 2010 5:58:25 AM

Quote:
Don't hijack other people's threads. Create your own :p 

Opps...i did it again. How rude ob me. Sorry,abt dat!

m
l
!