Transferring Programs

pcnut2001

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Ok, so I am going to install a windows 7 trial to test out, but I want to keep my programs because some of the programs I do not have disks to. Overall My question is is there a way to transfer programs from Windows Xp to Windows 7.

Solution
Unfortunately, I think that the answer is no. The "I think" part is because Microsoft may have a migration tool, but I don't think that it works between versions.

Specifically, the installation process does not just copy files to the installation directory. In almost all cases, it makes entries all over the Windows Registry, and the application will not run without these entries. Some installations even copy files into the /windows directory tree. So unless the app is specifically designed to be a "portable application," you can't copy it.

Microsoft does have a migration tool that will back up applications on one machine and set them up on the new system, but I think that it's only for replacing machines with the same version...
Unfortunately, I think that the answer is no. The "I think" part is because Microsoft may have a migration tool, but I don't think that it works between versions.

Specifically, the installation process does not just copy files to the installation directory. In almost all cases, it makes entries all over the Windows Registry, and the application will not run without these entries. Some installations even copy files into the /windows directory tree. So unless the app is specifically designed to be a "portable application," you can't copy it.

Microsoft does have a migration tool that will back up applications on one machine and set them up on the new system, but I think that it's only for replacing machines with the same version of the OS. Would someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong?

Finally, most manufacturers will provide replacement disks, if the purchase was fairly recent (like not ten years ago) and they are still in business. Good luck to you.

-----

A thought. Do you have a second disk onto which you are going to install your win7 trial? I strongly recommend it, so that you don't risk damage to your XP installation and all those irreplaceable programs.

Solution
As there is no direct upgrade path from XP to Windows 7 (requires a clean install) the answer is no, programs are not transferable and must be reinstalled. You may use the Easy Transfer Wizard to transfer data and program settings (for selected programs), but not the programs themselves.