Sign in with
Your question

Cooling for new Opteron 4180

Last response: in Components
July 25, 2010 2:31:23 PM

I am building server with Opteron 4180 and Supermicro H8SCM board ( new socket C32). The procesor is boxed but it said there is no fan or heatsink, nor the motherboard lists one. So how should it be cooled? Are there any coolers for these new procesors?

Thanks in advance

More about : cooling opteron 4180

August 19, 2010 3:22:15 PM

I need this also, any clue?
August 19, 2010 3:24:49 PM

If I remember correctly, the C32 socket is compatible with all Socket F coolers. Its basically Socket F2, like AM2+ and AM3 it simply added DDR3 support and a faster HT speed.
Related resources
September 29, 2010 3:06:22 AM

backslash47 said:
I am building server with Opteron 4180 and Supermicro H8SCM board ( new socket C32). The procesor is boxed but it said there is no fan or heatsink, nor the motherboard lists one. So how should it be cooled? Are there any coolers for these new procesors?

Thanks in advance

Any 3.5" pitch Socket F heatsink will work, and 3.5" units are the vast majority of Socket F coolers out there.
August 11, 2011 9:34:11 AM

well it depends on your motherboard if the pitch is 3.5" then you are lucky because there are plenty of them online but if the pitch is 4.1" then it is a trouble. All you need is online marketing. Am going through the same trouble here and I have done a lot of research. See the link for the clue
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 11, 2011 12:48:25 PM

bosslelo said:
well it depends on your motherboard if the pitch is 3.5" then you are lucky because there are plenty of them online but if the pitch is 4.1" then it is a trouble. All you need is online marketing. Am going through the same trouble here and I have done a lot of research. See the link for the clue
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

All of the C32 boards have a 3.5" pitch, it is part of the socket spec, from what I have been told. All G34 boards have a 4.1" pitch, it is part of the socket spec. Socket F is the one which can have either 3.5" or 4.1" pitch; the 4.1" pitch Socket F boards and heatsinks are uncommon compared to the 3.5" ones, but they do exist. The 4.1" pitch Socket F motherboards won't necessarily be marked as having a 4.1" pitch, but all of the 4.1" pitch Socket F heatsinks are marked as being 4.1" pitch. Another tipoff is if the same heatsink has a stated compatibility with both Socket F and G34, it's a 4.1" pitch unit. If it has compatibility with F, 940, and C32, it's guaranteed to be a 3.5" pitch unit.
August 15, 2011 7:37:49 AM

[ The 4.1" pitch Socket F motherboards won't necessarily be marked as having a 4.1" pitch, but all of the 4.1" pitch Socket F heatsinks are marked as being 4.1" pitch. Another tipoff is if the same heatsink has a stated compatibility with both Socket F and G34, it's a 4.1" pitch unit. If it has compatibility with F, 940, and C32, it's guaranteed to be a 3.5" pitch unit.[/quotemsg]

I feel better for your lines, these sockets has created so much trouble to users. Just checking one thing..my motherboard is Tyan S2912 the pitch is 4.1" in this case can I us G34 cooler on it ? eg. THERMALTAKE CLS0016 which I more affordable to me.
Thanks you very much for your sharing.
August 15, 2011 12:30:51 PM

bosslelo said:
[ The 4.1" pitch Socket F motherboards won't necessarily be marked as having a 4.1" pitch, but all of the 4.1" pitch Socket F heatsinks are marked as being 4.1" pitch. Another tipoff is if the same heatsink has a stated compatibility with both Socket F and G34, it's a 4.1" pitch unit. If it has compatibility with F, 940, and C32, it's guaranteed to be a 3.5" pitch unit.

I feel better for your lines, these sockets has created so much trouble to users. Just checking one thing..my motherboard is Tyan S2912 the pitch is 4.1" in this case can I us G34 cooler on it ? eg. THERMALTAKE CLS0016 which I more affordable to me.
Thanks you very much for your sharing.[/quotemsg]

Yes, that cooler should work.
!