Sign in with
Your question

5.9 on WEI

Last response: in Storage
July 6, 2012 7:47:38 PM

I've seen this question a lot, but I still don't get why it only shows 5.9 on WEI. I am using Crucial M4 128GB. Should ACHI be enabled? Should I update the SSD?

More about : wei

a b G Storage
July 6, 2012 9:17:11 PM

is your 5.9 the overall WEI score or the HDD subscore?

the overall WEI score is just the lowest subscore.
m
l
July 6, 2012 9:31:36 PM

Just looked at it again, it is 5.9 for both.
m
l
Related resources
July 6, 2012 9:38:57 PM

ACHI should be enabled for an ssd, but even in IDE a crucial M4 should perform better than that. I hate to ask the obvious question, but is windows installed on the ssd?
m
l
a b G Storage
July 6, 2012 9:41:09 PM

Firelance said:
I've seen this question a lot, but I still don't get why it only shows 5.9 on WEI. I am using Crucial M4 128GB. Should ACHI be enabled? Should I update the SSD?

What version of Windows? and is it patched fully?
The cap used to be 5.9 is vista and is 7.9 in win 7....

See this article ---> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/what-is-the-windows-experience-index

Dont know if they upped this vista 5.9 base in a Service pack update to 7.9 or if 5.9 is still the cap ... but I guess your issue lies somewhere in that area.
hopefully someone can confirm

Cheers
m
l
July 6, 2012 10:34:16 PM

Yes I installed 7 on the ssd. I only have that ssd. I am running 7 and I checked an saw it was already in achi mode. I am not running sp1 though.
m
l
July 6, 2012 11:13:15 PM

My Samsung 830 was scoring 5.9 until I updated the ahci driver. My motherboard is amd & I was using msachi. When I upgraded to amdsata, from gigabyte motherboard website, the score went to 7.9 & the boot time is now supersonic.
m
l
July 7, 2012 12:26:32 AM

Firelance said:
Yes I installed 7 on the ssd. I only have that ssd. I am running 7 and I checked an saw it was already in achi mode. I am not running sp1 though.

ok, so you set ahci in the BIOS and then installed windows? Is that correct?
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 9, 2012 2:27:37 PM

Firelance said:

I had a higher wei score for my ssd on my previous installation of windows 7 as well. After reinstalling the same OS it was significantly lower. But then I activated windows and installed service pack 1 and all recommended updates and did a new WEI assessment and now my score is 7.6 for the ssd, wich is even higher than on my previous installation.
m
l
a c 199 G Storage
July 9, 2012 6:32:57 PM

Do a run with CrystalDiskMark and see what results you attain.
m
l
a c 199 G Storage
July 9, 2012 6:36:21 PM

Go to start, type regedit in the start search window, and then press enter.
If you get the UAC warning dialog box, click continue.
Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
reboot your computer for changes to take affect
m
l
a b G Storage
July 9, 2012 8:29:14 PM

Firelance said:

Why don't u update to SP1?
m
l
a c 199 G Storage
July 9, 2012 8:30:03 PM

That's what i was wondering ^
m
l
!