How to erase a hard drive from the command promt

cosmo kid

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
i have a hard drive with windows 7 on it and put it in a labtop that runs vista. how do i clear the hard drive so i can reinstall the operating system

Solution
well all you need to do is boot from the installation media and during the installation there is an option to format the drive. if you really want to do it from a command prompt you can do:

Code:
format c: /y

where c: is the drive letter of the drive you would like to format.

well all you need to do is boot from the installation media and during the installation there is an option to format the drive. if you really want to do it from a command prompt you can do:

Code:
format c: /y

where c: is the drive letter of the drive you would like to format.

Solution

cosmo kid

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

thanks. i got it formatted. i have another ?. can u make a hard drive boot-able like a boot cd

absolutely.

1) the bios has to be set to boot off the hard disk
2) the hard disk must have an active bootable partition
3) the hard disk must have an operating system on it like Windows or Linux

Ubuntu and Fedora are operating systems based on the Linux kernel. There are many operating systems that use the Linux kernel (sometimes these are called "Linux distros"). I recommend either Fedora 17 or Ubuntu 12.04.

footer_logo.png
How to install Ubuntu 12.04

705767843.png
How to install Fedora 17

cosmo kid

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

thank you for getting back to me. i think im going to have to get a windows disk. I had made a back up copy from it and of course my original was stolen. Now I have a reason to get windows 7..lol

chrisland

Honorable
May 20, 2013

Latest posts