Sign in with
Your question

Adding a switch to current setup

Last response: in Networking
February 28, 2010 10:23:15 AM

Hi all i have come here to look for advice on setting up my network with a switch.

The current setup:

I currently have 5 computers that connect to the internet via a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router. The above router allows four wired connections and further wireless connections.

The intended setup:

Not being a fan of wireless i would like to add a fifth computer to my setup.
To do this i decided to buy myself a switch so i went onto ebay and purchased a Netgear JFS524 unmanaged switch.

The Problem:

Not being the most clued up on switches i decided to buy an unmanaged switch and thought it was going to be plug and play?
Currently i have one cat 5e cable leaving port 1 on the D-Link wireless router the other end goes into my new switch also at port 1. I then have cables connecting ports 3/5/7/9/11 on the switch leading to my other computers.

Once doing this however i an unable to obtain an internet connection.

I am not able to ping the router at all when the switch is in place.
Windows firewall has been turned off.
Windows 7 is showing the network connection as unidentified and cannot diagnose the issue.

Heres to hoping im just being thick! Hope you can help.

Regards,

Steve
Anonymous
February 28, 2010 10:56:36 AM

Sounds like you bought a bad switch.
February 28, 2010 11:15:18 AM

So my setup is correct? Thanks for the kind reply.
Related resources
Anonymous
February 28, 2010 11:18:40 AM

Yes, your setup is correct.
February 28, 2010 1:48:53 PM

It appears correctly configured to me as well.

What I'm about to say doesn't seem likely, but I thought I should mention it.

After checking the specs on both these devices, neither specifically states support for auto-mdix. If that feature is not present on one or the other, then the only way you could patch the switch to the router would either require a crossover cable/adapter, or if the switch has one, using the uplink port.

Again, this doesn't seem very likely since auto-mdix has been available w/ most every network device for years (making crossover cables/adapters and uplink ports obsolete in the process). But I have no idea how old these devices are either (the D-link website says the router was discontinued some time ago). And if it so happens you have such equipment, that would explain the problem.

February 28, 2010 5:15:56 PM

Quote:
Form the Installation Guide (http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/jfs524_install_guide.pd...) the JFS524 supports Auto Link.

Hmm...

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=843

Different model of Netgear switch, but one guys claims it would only work w/ crossover cable despite having auto link. Doesn't make sense, but unless the switch is just bad, I can't think of any other course of action (I assume the OP has tried all the other LAN ports on each device w/ the same results).
February 28, 2010 6:52:29 PM

Many thanks for the responces, i'm going to return the switch after trying all/ports and cross over cable still not joy.

Thanks again for the kind replys.
!