HELP - DUPLICATE COM & LPT PORTS

If I check the properties of any printer (START/Settings/Printers and
Faxes) and click on PORTS I see 2 each of all the following ports: COM1,
COM2 COM3, COM4, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3 and FILE. FILE may or may not be related
to the problem. Under Device Manager, everything looks normal (no dups).

This is causing a problem with my "Intuit Internal Printer" (a PDF printer)
so that it will no longer work. It uses a COM1 setting. I believe the
problem started when I installed the ZAN Image Printer (comverts an html
file to a tiff file).

I have uninstalled the ZAN Image Printer and Adobe Acrobat and deleted the
Intuit Internal Printer followed by running both Symantec's WinDoctor and
Advanced System Optimizer's Registry Cleaner. I also deleted the COM and
LPT ports with Device Manager and rebooted.

The duplicate ports reappeared. Other than reinstalling Windows (Gee - I
hope not), I don't have any clue as to a resolution. I suspect a registry
issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fred
2 answers Last reply
More about help duplicate ports

    Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, delete ALL instances of the LPT
    and COM ports you find, reboot and Windows will find them and install the
    drivers.

    "Fred Goldberg" <ackcomm@JUNKcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > If I check the properties of any printer (START/Settings/Printers and
    > Faxes) and click on PORTS I see 2 each of all the following ports: COM1,
    > COM2 COM3, COM4, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3 and FILE. FILE may or may not be related
    > to the problem. Under Device Manager, everything looks normal (no dups).
    >
    > This is causing a problem with my "Intuit Internal Printer" (a PDF
    > printer)
    > so that it will no longer work. It uses a COM1 setting. I believe the
    > problem started when I installed the ZAN Image Printer (comverts an html
    > file to a tiff file).
    >
    > I have uninstalled the ZAN Image Printer and Adobe Acrobat and deleted the
    > Intuit Internal Printer followed by running both Symantec's WinDoctor and
    > Advanced System Optimizer's Registry Cleaner. I also deleted the COM and
    > LPT ports with Device Manager and rebooted.
    >
    > The duplicate ports reappeared. Other than reinstalling Windows (Gee - I
    > hope not), I don't have any clue as to a resolution. I suspect a registry
    > issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Fred

    Thanks Jerry. But, as I said below, I already did that. Under device
    manager, both before and after deleting and re-booting, everything looks
    fine. The only thing that does not look fine, and is indicative of this
    problem, is the duplicate ports listed on the Properties/Ports tab of all
    printers. I assume this is being derived from somewhere in the registry.

    Fred

    "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in

    > Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, delete ALL instances of the
    > LPT and COM ports you find, reboot and Windows will find them and
    > install the drivers.
    >
    > "Fred Goldberg" <ackcomm@JUNKcomcast.net> wrote in message
    >> If I check the properties of any printer (START/Settings/Printers and
    >> Faxes) and click on PORTS I see 2 each of all the following ports:
    >> COM1, COM2 COM3, COM4, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3 and FILE. FILE may or may not
    >> be related to the problem. Under Device Manager, everything looks
    >> normal (no dups).
    >>
    >> This is causing a problem with my "Intuit Internal Printer" (a PDF
    >> printer)
    >> so that it will no longer work. It uses a COM1 setting. I believe the
    >> problem started when I installed the ZAN Image Printer (comverts an
    >> html file to a tiff file).
    >>
    >> I have uninstalled the ZAN Image Printer and Adobe Acrobat and
    >> deleted the Intuit Internal Printer followed by running both
    >> Symantec's WinDoctor and Advanced System Optimizer's Registry
    >> Cleaner. I also deleted the COM and LPT ports with Device Manager and
    >> rebooted.
    >>
    >> The duplicate ports reappeared. Other than reinstalling Windows (Gee
    >> - I hope not), I don't have any clue as to a resolution. I suspect a
    >> registry issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Fred

Configuration Device Manager Printers Windows XP