Sign in with
Your question

Where is my Bottleneck?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 9, 2011 5:03:48 PM

Every computer has one unless your chuck norris :)  Where's mine?

ASUS M4N75TD
Six Core Phenom II (Will overclock to 3.8GHZ)
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
12GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 470
Corsair 750w PSU 80% Certified

It's being built by me and I'm 50% the way though, which means I can always claim it was defect and buy something else lmao :) 

More about : bottleneck

a c 717 V Motherboard
February 9, 2011 6:51:57 PM

The nVidia nForce 750a chipset is your weakest link along with the x8 PCIe doesn't help though on a single HD monitor and your specs nothing is 'bottlenecking' the GTX 470. In some applications the AMD performs poorer than Intel, and a few like Maya the AMD performs better - architectural 'bottlenecking.'

Everything either adds or subtracts 'something' -- filling up DIMM slots does't help either. I assume you're running (2) Kits of DDR3 2X4GB + 2X2GB <OR> by MISTAKE you choose a 3X4GB effectively KILLING Dual Channel mode.

Ideally, if you want 'more RAM' than 4GB {2X2GB} then 2X4GB or for rendering 4X4GB Matched Dual Channel or 'Quad' Channel Kits.
February 9, 2011 6:57:39 PM

jaquith said:
The nVidia nForce 750a chipset is your weakest link along with the x8 PCIe doesn't help though on a single HD monitor and your specs nothing is 'bottlenecking' the GTX 470. In some applications the AMD performs poorer than Intel, and a few like Maya the AMD performs better - architectural 'bottlenecking.'

Everything either adds or subtracts 'something' -- filling up DIMM slots does't help either. I assume you're running (2) Kits of DDR3 2X4GB + 2X2GB <OR> by MISTAKE you choose a 3X4GB effectively KILLING Dual Channel mode.

Ideally, if you want 'more RAM' than 4GB {2X2GB} then 2X4GB or for rendering 4X4GB Matched Dual Channel or 'Quad' Channel Kits.

Im going to be running 3 monitors on that graphics card, is that going to be a problem now? New motherboard?
Related resources
February 9, 2011 7:12:12 PM

What does this mean;
PCI Express 2.0 x16 ( SLI: x8, x8 mode; single card: x16 mode )

The ASUS website and the Description say 2 different things. WTF. I'm getting annoyed now!
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 9, 2011 7:22:58 PM

My stuff:
I saw this "2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single @ x8; dual @ x8/x8 mode)" on Newegg, and "2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual at x8 mode)" on ASUS.
x8 - 1 GPU
x8/x8 - SLI
ASUS M4N75TD
Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=b6R5QXWNOAJzwcUx

Your stuff:
PCI Express 2.0 x16 ( SLI: x8, x8 mode; single card: x16 mode )
x16 - 1 GPU
x8/x8 - SLI

Questions:
Q1 - Where are you getting your info from? i.e. what link?

Running 3 Monitors under x8 with the GTX 480 will bottleneck somewhat.

Q2 - Are you Gaming? and if so what games?

Q3 - What about the DDR3? Please post link(s)
February 9, 2011 7:42:30 PM

PCI Express 2.0 x16 ( SLI: x8, x8 mode; single card: x16 mode ) Came from the order on amazon...And in the Manual for the motherboard it claims that they both are x16.

Im doing video editing, when I play game I will just disable the other screens.

a c 717 V Motherboard
February 9, 2011 7:51:38 PM

Look again, I'm reading your manual now: {pdf page 27; 1-15 item 1.8.5} "(run at x8 bandwidth).

Q3 - What about the DDR3? Please post link(s)
February 9, 2011 7:56:04 PM

You win, F**K! This sucks there's me thinking I have a decent computer and the motherboard is a load of crap DAMN.

Not bought the RAM I'm using yet, but I have one stick of 2GB in there. Might only get 8GB now since I'm going to need another mobo...FFS
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 9, 2011 8:06:10 PM

x8 vs x16 with GTX 470's -- might cost you 10 FPS, and then only with certain games. I am not trying to win, and I'm trying to help. In some games it doesn't matter {x8}, in my own gaming rig I too run the GTX 470's. In some games I have to tune-down the AA to get good frame rates with 3 HD monitors. In games with high FPS your monitor is stuck 9.9/10 at 60 Hz or 60 FPS on the screen.

Here's an excellent article on the subject -> http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_480_PCI-E...
February 9, 2011 8:08:58 PM

I know your not trying to win just messing :p 

So If I keep to the plan and I get the 470 would the performance with video playback be massive because if it's all jumpy I can't edit lmao.

Do I get a new board and claim it was defect? Any tips?
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 9, 2011 8:51:32 PM

Hmm...the GTX 470's even now are expensive, hot and power hungry. Have you looked into the new GTX 650 Ti. Here's another good article -> http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/NVID...

If you were ONLY running a single HD Monitor then I'd say keep what you have now, but cearly with 3 monitors then YES I would return it. Keep in mind most policies are to exchange for the SAME MOBO. Therefore, 9/10 you're going to wind up paying a 15% restocking fee.

Tips - If "PCI Express 2.0 x16 ( SLI: x8, x8 mode; single card: x16 mode ) Came from the order on amazon" is true then they shouldn't charge you a penny for reshipping or restocking.

I would look at the ASUS M4N98TD EVO or 3-WAY M4N82 Deluxe.
ASUS M4N98TD EVO - http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=1g8o5Sh3csqM5M8u&...
2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual @ x16 )
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe - http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=acJsiQGEWJ7Fdp0m&...
3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16 or triple x8)
February 9, 2011 9:11:46 PM

I wouldn't worry about the motherboard. x8 with PCIe 2.0 is not going to be any problem for you. We are talking about a 1% difference in fps while games. Also, if you want to run 3 monitors, I would recommend an AMD graphics card so you can take advantage of eyefinity and hook all three monitors up to one graphics card.
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 9, 2011 9:33:06 PM

If only that were true, as I clearly stated and provided a link, it totally depends on the game and resolutions. Next, adding into the equation Multiple Monitors only compounds the problems. Further adding SLI even more. As I stated (1)/single Monitor no big deal.

I prefer SLI + PhysX; ideally, I don't run nVidia on AMD MOBOs for architectural reasons and performance.

Randomly picked top right results; see full article.

etc.

Building {DRAFT}; yep I realize the P67/H67 issues. This is for illustration purposes.
February 10, 2011 3:27:05 AM

How do you intend to run three monitors on one GTX 470? You need two cards to do so.

My own experience with my AMD and GTX 470's has been overly positive. I run two 470's in SLI with an AMD 955 on a hacked AMD 790FX board. It's a bit of a Freakenstein, lol.

Compared to an Intel i7 920 at the same speed with the same setup (2 470's SLI), I was only a couple frames shy in Unigine's 'Heaven' benchmark. Of course, the 920 can go further which only ramps the scores up higher. From the looks of things, these cards scale with CPU overclocking, so at the end of the day, your bottleneck will be the CPU.

Not to say that's bad. In games it shouldn't be noticeable at all. It hasn't been for me, and remember, that's with two cards as opposed to just the single one. I also would not worry about 8x vs 16x speeds. The losses are minimal in the large scheme of things.

Unless you're looking for all out performance, hang with what you have and be happy. The 470 is a beast of a card, just waiting to be unleashed with a bit of overclocking.

However, if you want to run three monitors, you'll need a second card. Or you can pick up an AMD card, which will support three monitors out of the box.
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 10, 2011 12:14:19 PM

There are a few non-spec GTX 470's with Dual DVI,HDMI, & DisplayPort which truthfully I am not certain but 'may' allow the OP setup; hence my silence. Personally, I have a 3-WAY GTX 470, spec {2 DVI + mini HDMI}, and I must have one on the monitors running on the second GTX 470 via DVI. The Pro version can handle 4 monitors off a single GPU.

non-spec GTX 470's:
!