sranissen_47

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
asrock 870 extream 3
x4 965 be

Why is my ram running so slow and what do i need to do to fix it?

cpuz shows

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is a common issue. Double the DRAM freq and that is the speed you are actually operating at. Part of this is how Cool and Quiet works to reduce speeds (translates to heat and power) when max performance isn't needed. Is your BIOS memory settings set to AUTO or manually set?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Actually, I would recommend you stay at AUTO and let your system manage itself. This provides greater stability and any performance gains you would get are truly negligible.

Yes, your CPU and memory speeds will increase when put under load (like during gaming). In fact, your GPU (video card) will perform much in the same way as you are observing now.

Have fun!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1 to jaquith if you choose the manual config route. He knows more about memory configs than just about anyone else on Tom's.

sranissen_47

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Thanks for the help

I went into my bios and when i went to set the option:

memory clock = 800Mhz DDR3_1600

The only options it had higher then the one i had selected where:

memory clock = 716Mhz DDR3_1433
memory clock = 860Mhz DDR3_1720

How do I get my MB to allow me to select "memory clock = 800Mhz DDR3_1600"

I could still go in under oc tweaker in the bios and set:

CAS lat 9
TRCD 9
TRP 9
MA Timing 2T

but cpuz looks like this now:

Do I need to set :

TRAS to 24
TRC to 41

Cpuz said something about that under the SPC tab. What does SPC mean anyways?

If you are overclocking the CPU using the BCLK/FSB, it would mess with the RAM speeds like that. From what I can tell, you are using a BCLK/FSB of 215MHz to overclock your CPU.

The DDR3_1433 setting would be much closer to your rated RAM speed. I'd choose that if you didn't want to mess with RAM voltage. The DDR3_1720 setting would be overclocking the RAM. You could probably use that setting, but you might need to increase the RAM voltage.

Cool N Quiet would under-clock the CPU when it's not loaded, so that's not the cause.

The two options that show up in your BIOS:
memory clock = 716Mhz DDR3_1433 (should be 667MHz DDR3_1333)
memory clock = 860Mhz DDR3_1720 (should be 800MHz DDR3_1600)

The option that it's on right now:
memory clock = 573MHz DDR3_1146 (should be 533MHz DDR3_1066)

1146 is 7.5% higher than 1066.
1433 is 7.5% higher than 1333.
1720 is 7.5% higher than 1600.
200 + 7.5% = 215

This all indicates that the BCLK/FSB is running at 215MHz instead of the default 200MHz. Take a screenshot of the CPU tab of CPU-Z with Prime95 running. That should back up what I'm saying.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What ever settings you go with, make sure you test for stability afterward. Also, keep in mind that the performance benefits of OCing memory are very minor compared to OCing results for CPUs/GPUs and can lead to unstable systems. Slow and easy, taking baby steps, to verify stability are the way to go.

Good luck!

The OP isn't actually overclocking the RAM -- it's DDR3-1600 that would be running at DDR3-1433 speed. Right now it's running at DDR3-1146 speed. It should have no problems at all running at DDR3-1433 at stock voltage.

Of course, Prime95 and other tests should have been run when it was first overclocked, but the OP didn't even know that it was overclocked. So yeah, it would be a good idea to run 24 hours of Prime95 Torture Test with "In-place large FFTs" setting enabled.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Actually, running any RAM (regardless of the rating of the memory itself) beyond the industry standard is considered overclocking. Not a big deal either way as long as stability is verified and maintained.

sranissen_47

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Thank you so much for the help. I just one last set of questions...

1. When i set my ram to 716MHz DDR3_1433 can i still keep the:

CAS lat 9
TRCD 9
TRP 9
MA Timing 2T

2. Do I need to set :

TRAS to 24
TRC to 41

3. Cpuz said something about TRAS/TRC under the SPC tab.

4. What does SPC mean anyways?

1. Yes, you can keep those timings.
2 & 3. If you can find them in the BIOS, you should set them based on the 800MHz listing in the SPD tab.
4. It's actually SPD. Serial Presence Detect. It's an extra chip on each RAM stick that tells the BIOS what timings the memory can do. CPU-Z can read that chip also.

Despite that, with modern processors the difference between 9-9-9-24 and 7-7-7-20 would only make a difference in synthetic benchmarks like SiSoft Sandra. Real-world game performance increase would be a frame or two here and there in a game. You definitely would not notice the difference.

You are better off saving a bit on CL9 RAM and putting it towards something that will actually make a real difference, like a better video card or an SSD.