Sign in with
Your question

Toshiba Laptop HD dead???

Last response: in Storage
July 6, 2012 10:56:34 PM

I offered to reformat my friends computer a few days ago. It was infested with spyware and trojans and loaded extremley slow. Browsing various sites caused the browser to crash. I did not run check disk because I the computer was booting fine it was just slow.

I go to reformat and it froze at 57%. I left it for over an hour but it was frozen for sure. I thought maybe it overheated, so I proped it up, but then...

HD was not detected in bios. I got to Windows XP setup and HD was not detected. No option to repair or try setup, it told me no HD was detected.

I took the HD out and tried it again, still no detection.

It's a SATA drive so I connected it to my PC. Couldn't find it in disk managment at all.

Is it dead? I need to know if it's garbage and my friend has to buy a new one.

When booting up the computer you have 3 choices.

F2 - bios (you have to spam it, sometimes it doesn't work)
E12 - boot menu (doesn't work - it did the first time when I tried to reformat)
ESC - shows ram, cpu, system bios and video shadowed, etc. If I hit f2 then SOMETIMES I can get into bios.

If there are any tests I can do that would be great.

More about : toshiba laptop dead

a b G Storage
July 7, 2012 4:18:06 AM

Thats all you need to know. Its time to replace the drive.

zyzz said:
I go to reformat and it froze at 57%. I left it for over an hour but it was frozen for sure. I thought maybe it overheated, so I proped it up, but then...

m
l
July 7, 2012 7:39:16 PM

nhasian said:
Thats all you need to know. Its time to replace the drive.

My last laptop that I sold crashed multiple times during Windows XP Installation. Reason was it was getting to hot. So I propped it up on bowls.

Any tests I can run?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 8, 2012 1:37:14 AM

yes you can remove the hard disk from the computer and try formatting it in another computer. most likely you will get the same result as I suspect the hard disk has failed.
m
l
July 8, 2012 1:46:00 AM

yeah I said I did that I plugged it into mine. Failed to show in disk management or as a new hardware device.

I have never had a hard drive before so I want to make sure it is trash before my friend spends $70 on a new HD.
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
July 8, 2012 1:54:32 AM

Like nhasian told you,the drive is dead.
m
l
July 8, 2012 3:33:58 AM

too bad. never had one die on me before.

thanks.
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
July 8, 2012 3:35:14 AM

Your welcome glad to help!!!!!!!!
m
l
!