Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, Can It Support DDR5

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 9, 2011 9:02:20 PM

I have an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 mother board and have been wondering if it can support DDR5's and if not how long should i wait till they make DDR6's?

My PC:
•CPU: Intel® Core i7 920
•CPU Cooler: CoollT Domino ALC Water-Cooling
•Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2 (Intel X58 chipset, SLI/Crossfire)
•Memory: 12.0GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz XMS CL9 (6x 2GB)
•Hard Drives: 3TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
•Optical Drive: 22x DVD=RW DL S-ATA Lightscribe
•Second Optical Drive: 6x Blu-Ray ROM S-ATA
•Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 1792MB
•Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E 7.1
•Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 64 Bit
•Accessories: DVI to HDMI cable
• Firewire Card
•PSU: 1250W Coolemaster Real Power Pro
•Case: Coolemaster Cosmos Type-S
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 194 V Motherboard
February 9, 2011 9:25:18 PM

you are confusing graphics memory ( written as DDR5 or GDDR5 ) with system memory ( DDR3). There is nothing higher than DDR3 for the computer. Video cards use DDR5. There is no DDR6 yet for anything.
February 9, 2011 9:54:58 PM

anort3 said:
you are confusing graphics memory ( written as DDR5 or GDDR5 ) with system memory ( DDR3). There is nothing higher than DDR3 for the computer. Video cards use DDR5. There is no DDR6 yet for anything.



Thank you and yes that does not surprise me that i could mix that up as sadly i do not know a huge amount about computers, so with RAM it doesnt actually matter what ram i have because it wont effect the card as such, is this what you are saying. Plus with that knowledge would i be able to get any DDR5 graphics card but im still stuck on which graphics card to get because at the moment i have a NVidia 295 GTX but it heats up quite a lot nowadays and was thinking of upgrading (ive already looked for GPU coolers but sadly they dont sell them for 295 anymore only installed ones)?
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 9, 2011 10:12:03 PM
Share

The P6T needs DDR3 ram, in matched sets of 3 or 6, so you need 6 gigabytes of DDR3 in a kit of 3 sticks of 2gb ram.

The DDR your graphics card is doesn't matter, you can have a system with DDR2 ram and a DDR5 graphics card with no problems.
February 9, 2011 10:14:43 PM

duk3 said:
The P6T needs DDR3 ram, in matched sets of 3 or 6, so you need 6 gigabytes of DDR3 in a kit of 3 sticks of 2gb ram.

The DDR your graphics card is doesn't matter, you can have a system with DDR2 ram and a DDR5 graphics card with no problems.



Well with this info then what would be the best card for my system??? and if possible is there a cooler i can buy or a version with an already pre-installed cooler (water cooling preferable)???
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 194 V Motherboard
February 9, 2011 10:15:57 PM

I_M_L_A_M_B_O said:
Thank you and yes that does not surprise me that i could mix that up as sadly i do not know a huge amount about computers, so with RAM it doesnt actually matter what ram i have because it wont effect the card as such, is this what you are saying. Plus with that knowledge would i be able to get any DDR5 graphics card but im still stuck on which graphics card to get because at the moment i have a NVidia 295 GTX but it heats up quite a lot nowadays and was thinking of upgrading (ive already looked for GPU coolers but sadly they dont sell them for 295 anymore only installed ones)?



The GTX295 is still quite powerful. From Nvidia only the GTX580 is faster. Maybe this will help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
February 10, 2011 8:31:15 AM

Best answer selected by I_M_L_A_M_B_O.
February 10, 2011 7:30:49 PM

Samsung actually has a white paper and are close to producing ddr4 memory for system boards (testing not production) but as stated above no system yet can support that.
The best Graphics card I would suggest is they Nvidia GTX580 as stated above.
It runs pretty cool and quiet. As you already have an Nvidia card.
You could also go with an AMD solution but thats personal preference.
Sorry if I confused the issue any I was just reading up on memory the other day.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2012 6:59:38 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!