Sign in with
Your question

Only 10 of 12 GB RAM recognized by Windows/BIOS Asus P6T Deluxe v2

Last response: in Memory
February 9, 2011 9:09:03 PM

I just added 3 2GB sticks to my PC. I noticed BIOS only listed over 10,000MB, and Windows shows the same. Running CPU-Z shows all 12GB, and the correct 2 triple channel sets. Could there be a reason one of my sticks isn't being recognized outside of that? I'm using an i7 920.

I ran Windows memory diagnostic, but no errors were detected. I figured nothing would be, since one of the sticks isn't showing up in BIOS. Is it possible my BIOS is simply misreporting one of the slots? I don't know why else that one stick would show up in CPU-Z and nothing else.

Screenshot to illustrate:

More about : ram recognized windows bios asus p6t deluxe

a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2011 12:12:56 AM

Make sure all your sticks are fully seated. Also, what version of Windows are you using?
m
l
February 10, 2011 4:17:43 AM

Windows 7.

All RAM should be seated correctly. It's all showing up in CPU-Z, as I said. But it's not detected in BIOS. Possibly a BIOS issue? I mean, I don't mind "only" having 10GB, but it's strange that one of the sticks isn't being detected by the system (and yet displays as installed in software).
m
l
February 10, 2011 2:18:59 PM

Huh, weird update:

After the fourth reboot of my PC (through regular use), all RAM has finally showed up in BIOS and W7. Not sure what happened to cause that, since I haven't changed a thing. Not going to complain, though! Hopefully it stays like this next time I restart the PC.
m
l
!