starting place for Windows Explorer

Windows Explorer starts in:
%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
I want one to start in "My Computer".

You might want to take a look here:

http://tinyurl.com/6oj9b

This works in XP as well as Win2K.

What I did was the following:
Right click on your desktop and select New -> Shortcut.
In the location box copy and paste the following (as mentioned in
the MS article):

%systemroot%\explorer.exe
/e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

Click Next.
Enter a name for the shortcut (e.g. Explorer My Computer).
Right click the new shortcut and select Properties if you want to
change the Icon.
Copy or move the new shortcut to whatever location you want. I
moved it to the Quick Launch bar.

--
Nepatsfan
"Bob Lockie" <bob.lockie@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows Explorer starts in:
> %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
> I want one to start in "My Computer".

I forgot to add, if you really want to get creative, you might
want to take a look here:

http://forums.binarydreams.us/archive/index.php/t-914.html

--
Nepatsfan

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:51:09 -0500, Bob Lockie wrote:

> Windows Explorer starts in:
> %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
> I want one to start in "My Computer".

I have multiple partitions on 2 hard drives. Using an Explorer shortcut
with the following target line opens with focus on My Computer:

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,

and I leave the "start in" box blank.
Pressing Windows key +E will give the same results.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On 27/01/2005 4:51 PM Bob Lockie spoke:
> Windows Explorer starts in:
> %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
> I want one to start in "My Computer".

Why do I not have a MyComputer icon on the desktop?

It's not displayed by default. You have to go to Start -> Control
Panel -> Display. Select the Desktop page. Click on Customize
Desktop. On the General page put a check mark in the box next to
My Computer. Click OK twice.