Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to switch my SSD to my secondary drive without installing windows.

Last response: in Storage
July 7, 2012 6:35:15 AM

Hey guys i'm pretty new to the computer world, i recently just built a gaming PC and need help trouble shooting. When i installed windows i unplugged my 1TB SATA HDD and only keep my 64 GIG SSD installed so i could make sure Windows and all my drivers where on my SSD. I didn't think about it until now, and realized that my primary drive is going to be this tiny 64 GIG drive, and i'm going to have to manually choose where to save everything.
So to get to the point, is there anyway i can change my HDD to my primary without having to reinstall windows, and still be able to boot off my SSD. Please help if you have the knowledge i'm not to computer savvy yet, but trying to learn.
July 7, 2012 7:00:20 AM

Sorry title should have read without RE-INSTALLING windows not installing it.
m
l
July 7, 2012 7:11:26 AM

No, your gonna have to re-install windows onto the other HDD. I always tell people and even my self. Buy the right capacity SSD for your need
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 7, 2012 7:12:26 AM

I've been running my rig on 64gig SSD for 7 months without any real hassle.. Still got 16 Gig spare, it's no real problem to save everything to your HDD, just use the 'save as' option for all downloads. Install only Windows and your favourite games on the SSD and check this for other good housekeeping tricks
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/270102-14-useful-ar...
m
l
July 7, 2012 7:15:35 AM

OK if i install windows on my hard-drive will i still be able to boot off of my SSD?
m
l
July 7, 2012 7:18:40 AM

dodger46 said:
I've been running my rig on 64gig SSD for 7 months without any real hassle.. Still got 16 Gig spare, it's no real problem to save everything to your HDD, just use the 'save as' option for all downloads. Install only Windows and your favourite games on the SSD and check this for other good housekeeping tricks
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/270102-14-useful-ar...

Yeah that sounds like a pretty good idea. I just put windows, my drivers, spyware and skyrim on my SSD. I would defiantly choose to manually save everything on HDD instead of re-installing windows again.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 7, 2012 7:31:08 AM

BR iZ NSAN3 said:
Yeah that sounds like a pretty good idea. I just put windows, my drivers, spyware and skyrim on my SSD. I would defiantly choose to manually save everything on HDD instead of re-installing windows again.

this is the correct way to do it, even with a larger SSD. you can change you download manager to point to the HDD and there are ways to change the default program install/profile folders, although I'd just use the advanced option when installing and select the HDD.

You can also use steammover to swap games/programs on and off the SSD
July 7, 2012 7:58:41 AM

Also thanks for that link dodger only did 2 steps so far and got 8 gigs back!
m
l
July 8, 2012 4:00:47 AM

Also guys how do i set it up where windows will ask me where to save stuff when i'm am about to download something. Most of the time it automatically goes to my SSD Please answer i cant figure it out.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 8, 2012 4:05:31 AM

what browser are you using? you must do "save target as" to select where to save it, but again, you should be able to change the default folder that the browser's download manager uses
m
l
July 8, 2012 4:27:40 AM

google chrome is my browser
m
l
July 8, 2012 4:28:53 AM

anyway you could explain how to do that bye chance?
m
l
July 8, 2012 5:03:55 AM

Never mind i figured it out. Thanks alot man you saved me alot of trouble.
m
l
July 8, 2012 5:09:35 AM

Best answer selected by BR iZ NSAN3.
m
l
!