KV8SE DELUXE SUPPORT CD DOWNLOAD

KORG121

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hi,
As I understand, whenever a bad Bios Flash occurs in this motherboard, it is possible to reflash it using the Asus support Cd. I have tried all the other methods for it with no luck including ALt + F2, Clearng tc, etc
Any help?.
Thanks,
Daniel
davenal@gmail.com

Recovering the BIOS

To recover the BIOS:
1. Turn on the system.
2. Insert the motherboard support DVD to the optical drive, or the USB flash drive containing the BIOS file to the USB port.
3. The utility automatically checks the devices for the BIOS file. When found, the utility reads the BIOS file and starts flashing the corrupted BIOS file.
4. Turn off the system after the utility completes the updating process and power on again.

***FLASHING***

5. The system requires you to enter BIOS Setup to recover BIOS setting. To ensure system compatibility and stability, we recommend that you press <F2> to load default BIOS values.

DO NOT shut down or reset the system while updating the BIOS! Doing so can cause system boot failure!

On the DVD there is a file name <MOBOMODEL>.ROM e.g. P6X58DE.ROM for my model. You don't press anything just let it boot. It may take more than 1 try. In addition, you can create a FAT32 bootable USB Drive if the DVD procedure fails.

Failure, refer to your manual and look-up the Clear CMOS procedure, in most cases it a jumper vs a Clear CMOS button. Do not do the unplug + remove the CMOS battery.

KORG121

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hi, jaquith

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I finally got it up and running again, with amazing speed considering it is an old motherboard. First of all, you don't really need the support cd, because all you need to do is burn a cd with the mobo bios but named specifically "KV8SEDX.ROM", OTHERWISE IT WON'T WORK. I suggest downloading the latest beta bios (1008.004) from Asus website, rename it to "K8VSEDX.ROM" and then burn it. After that, power on your computer while holding Alt + f2 keys, and the motherboard will start looking for this file either in a cd or in a floppy, and once it finds it, it will flash the bios all by itself, and will restart completely "alive" again. I must say that although I had a CD and a floppy with the file, It only read it from the cd.
I also discovered several issues with this motherboard, that may be useful to other people. Many complained that this motherboard had problems booting from a cd, and it does. Solution: Connect 2 cd roms to the motherboard, select one of them in Bios as your first CDROM ( THE "BOOTABLE" one ) and PUT YOUR BOOTABLE CD IN THE OTHER CD ROM. It will boot pèrfectly as many times as you like. Some other people complained that they could not boot from USB. As a matter of fact I installed Windows 7 directly from a 8 gb Kingston pendrive. Nevertheless, you need to keep the setting "plug and play aware operating system" in NO in Bios. If you set it to yes, USB function will dissapear in Windows once it is installed. ( The same issue happens if you install Windows XP ). If you cannot select your pendrive directly from Bios as your first boot device, pressing f8 repeteadly at boot, should pop up the BOOT menu, where you can select your pendrive. This mobo is suitable for Windows 7 x86 and 64 bits, but Asus drivers are not, so you have tu use alternative drivers ( Realtek Driver) for yourAC'87 sound codec and for the promise fastrack 378 Sata contrtoller. Via drivers work for everything else. Your video card should get the corresponding drivers from your vendor. If you manage to get a good Video card, you will even be able to play MKV files up to 720p with DTS audio track and Subtitles if you use Media Player Classic. At last, but not least, I had to unplug the Power supply , remove the battery and set the jumper to "clear CMOS", to get it done. Oh I forgot to mention my configuration: ASUS KV8SE DELUXE MOTHERBOARD, 2 IDE AND 1 SATA DRIVE ( the sata drive must be SATA 1 or a SAta 2 jumpered to reduce speed) AMD Athlon 64 3000+ SOCKET 754 1 GB RAM DDR 400 PC 3200 POWER SUPPLY 335 WATTS. The Video card is a Nvidia 6200 wih 256mb memory. This MOBO DOES NOT SUPPORT DUAL CHANNEL, BUT SUPPORTS UP TO 215 MHZ OVERCLOCKING IN BIOS. As you may guess, this Mobo's performance is a little bit better in Windows XP, mainly because it has better drivers for it. On the other hand, installing Xp, may be a little bit tricky, unless you have all your RAID drivers Sipstreamed in your Windows XP CDROM. That of course, if you must setup a RAID, otherwise USE EVERYTHING IN IDE MODE.
FINALLY, WHAT REALLY PISSED ME OFF, WAS FINDING THAT ASUS DID NOT GIVE A STRAIGHT ANSWER IN THEIR FORUMS, SUGGESTING THE METHOD FOR FLASHING THE BIOS WITHOUT THE NEED FOR THE K8VSE DELUXE SUPPORT CD. I understand this is a business, but this motherboard is truly cheap nowadays, as to spend US $ 30 in a new Support CD, that is not needed at all, to solve the problem.
I hope to save some people a lot of hassle and time, and If you need anything else, like links to the drivers I used, please feel free to post your request here.
KORG121