Bios incorrect cpu temperature?

maziar321

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I recently bought a new cpu cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019&cm_re=zalman_cnps9700-_-35-118-019-_-Product

I bought the fan to replace my stock fan which gave me very high readings. Installed the fan and it only gave me a 2 degree celcius diffrence...(41C)
Before I installed the fan, speed fan and the bios temps were both synchronized (for the most part). Now its giving me a huge diffrence.

Speed fan
cpu: 29C

Bios:
cpu: 39C

My guess is that the bios is wrong. I know that this RARELY happens, but it's the only thing that makes sense. Why would the temps drop 2 degrees after getting a much better fan and buying better thermal grease (arctic silver)? What do you think...

Solution
The stock fan isn't bad; it may have different rpm specs from the new fan. I would leave it alone for awhile or check the smartfan settings in the bios. IF this is your only problem, I wouldn't change boards or flash the bios. Both temp readings are within spec of the cpu. The cpu can run up to 70c for brief periods and 50c continuously. If you start fooling around with the cpu, you're liable to create a real problem.
The stock fan isn't bad; it may have different rpm specs from the new fan. I would leave it alone for awhile or check the smartfan settings in the bios. IF this is your only problem, I wouldn't change boards or flash the bios. Both temp readings are within spec of the cpu. The cpu can run up to 70c for brief periods and 50c continuously. If you start fooling around with the cpu, you're liable to create a real problem.

Solution