Sign in with
Your question

Ati Radeon HD 4890 overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2010 2:55:15 AM

i dont know if its the card or the pcie slot. im runing a asus M4A79XTD EVO with a SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X Radeon HD 4890 1GB cards in xfire and they just started overheating. saw some frames drop in fallout 3 and checked catalyst and the temp of the main card was 90c load. now only ay to play is with both fans going at 100% and thats loud. tryed swaping the cards but same thing the top card overheats. if i disable xfire it run at about 75c load. have teh coolermaster 932 case with lots of airflow. could it be with the motherboard.

asus M4A79XTD EVO
SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X Radeon HD 4890 1GB x2
Kingston ddr3 1333 (PC3 10600) 8gb
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700
April 20, 2010 4:35:38 AM

Try cranking up the fan in the Catalyst Control Center or in Riva Tuner and see if that helps to bring the temps down.
April 20, 2010 4:50:27 AM

Hey there,

90C is high but not excessive. Cards are usually rated for 100C.

Place a couple of 120mm case fans facing the cards to assist with airflow then lower fan profile to 50%.

By doing this, my rig runs at 52C idle and NEVER exceeds 85C under load.

Also, check fans/grills for dust buildup and clean monthly.

Good luck.
Related resources
April 20, 2010 5:07:36 AM

my single 4890 used to hit 80c all the time. its an excessively loud and hot card.

it is fine running at that temp though.

overheating wouldn't cause frames to drop anyway (not in a 4 series card at least), it would work fine until it shut itself down.

my advice, invest in decent set of headphones and crank fan speed to 100, or replace the cards with a 5 series.
April 20, 2010 7:06:06 PM

As hunuok suggested, adding an intake fan near the cards' fans should reduce their temps by allowing fresh, cool air to get into the cards.

If you cannot add side-fans to your case, try one of these Antec SpotCool fans inside the case. Mind you, you'll still need sufficient fresh air coming into the case already. So, if you don't already have a strong enough intake fan, then I suggest getting one (or two of supported) in addition to the SpotCool.

Lastly, here's a diagram of a positive air pressure system and an explanation of it's benefits. http://www.demcifilter.com/positive_pressure.htm
April 22, 2010 5:11:18 AM

i have the fans running at 75% and the temp came down to a usable temp. as for dust i clean the whole rig every month. anyone know of a pci slot exhaust fan? i have a spot above the top card and could vent the heat out from there.
April 22, 2010 7:08:41 AM

Don't vent more air out unless you can also bring more cool air in, otherwise you're forcing the card, the PSU, and all other exhaust fans or self-exhausting devices to compete with each other for fresh air.

And when you say "fans running at 75%" what fans are you talking about, your video card fans? If so, what you really need is to get more air to them, not try and suck more air out of the system.

I hate to use a car analogy, but think about drag racing a second. When they want more horsepower, do they put fans on the exhaust? No! They inject more air into the engine so it can breathe. And when they want the freshest, coolest air, what do they do? They cut the hood and let the blower breathe in all they can, or they add hood scoops. You need to do pretty much the same thing.
!