Sign in with
Your question

Memory compatibility, does different timings matter?

Last response: in Memory
February 10, 2011 11:32:41 AM

I bought the Corsair XMS3 2, 1GB modules:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Memory Speed: PC10666
Memory Timing: 9-9-9-24

This is the one I want

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

PC10666 Memory Speed
4GB Total Memory Size
CAS latency of 9-9-9-24

It's a 4GB module, and it's cheap! Which is why I only put in 2GB when I first built my computer.

**** Ok turns out that these have the same timings (when I decided to make the thread I thought they were different), 9-9-9-24, but I see some that are 9-9-9-27 that are a good deal too. So is it ok to put RAM with different timings in the other slots?
a c 347 } Memory
February 10, 2011 2:10:13 PM

If the 'goal' is to add another 4GB then don't break the Dual channel, get as set of TW3X4G1333C9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... they share the same IC and are compatible. matched, and will retain the dual channel.

edit: BTW a 64-bit OS is required to access >4GB or RAM.
m
l
February 11, 2011 4:04:44 AM

jaquith said:
If the 'goal' is to add another 4GB then don't break the Dual channel, get as set of TW3X4G1333C9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... they share the same IC and are compatible. matched, and will retain the dual channel.
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-145-218-S02?$S300W$

edit: BTW a 64-bit OS is required to access >4GB or RAM.

I'm not sure what you mean by "don't break the dual channel" (both of the products are DDR3 Dual-channel)

I have the two modules in the 2 slots, that leaves me two open slots, I want to put a 4GB Module in one of the slots and then leave the other one open for another 4GB module later on

I only have 2GB installed on a 64-bit system because I knew that I was going to get more RAM later on, I didn't want to have to uninstall and reinstall later, to be honest everything works great with the 2GB, just want a little more RAM for gaming. And even with gaming there is no trouble with the RAM except for crysis

m
l
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
February 11, 2011 12:09:23 PM

The CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 you linked is a SINGLE 4GB stick, so you'll have 3 sticks that won't work as a Dual Channel -- this kills the Dual Channel.

Also, the 3 may or may not work at all - I've seen it both ways, and the ones that do work are all the same i.e. from a Tri Channel matched kit.

Here's some good info, you didn't list your MOBO, but the 'idea' of Dual Channel is still the same - 2 <or> 4 sticks:
m
l
February 15, 2011 1:55:50 AM

In other words I should wait for prices to come down and get two matching 4GB sticks?

m
l
February 18, 2011 7:29:16 AM

Quote:
^
yes if wanting 8GB of RAM, 4-2GB sticks is not optimal but possible as well.
matching sets..

I'm sorry but what does matching sticks have to do with it

for example is it bad to have 2 matching 1GB sticks and then 2 matching 4GB sticks? If so why?

Basically, I paid $80 for those XMS3 Series Corsair sticks (the 1GB sticks) and I don't want them to go to waste (and wow did prices come down a lot). My intention was to fill the first two slots and wait for prices to come down so I could fill them all with 4GB sticks eventually.

But now I'm wondering if I should just wait another year or so (can get by with this system for now see specs below)

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
Asus M4A78T-E MOBO
Corsair DDR3 (dual-channel) RAM 2GB (2 x1024MB)
Sapphire HD5770 1GB graphics card

So more than enough power to hold out for a while, the only problem I have is with crysis (org and cyrsis 2), so if I can wait it out I can get something MANY times better... say a Radeon 5970 2GB GPU with a Intel core i7 6-core processor

So the question is why spend $80 upgrading the ram on this computer when it's already getting outdated, that $80 could be spent toward a new computer build that's many times better than this for the same price. The Asus MOBO I bought is only $99 now!! I paid over $150 for it!
m
l
February 19, 2011 3:10:21 AM

Quote:
so right now you only have 2GB of DDR3 RAM.?

That's correct. I went ahead and installed the 64-bit OS because I knew that I was going to upgrade the RAM later on. I'd like all the slots to be 4GB, which is why I bought the two 1GB RAM chips because they were cheap, I thought I'd wait for prices to come down and put 2 4GB chips in the remaining two slots, then at some point upgrade the 1GB's to 4GB leaving me with 16GB total
m
l
February 19, 2011 3:12:40 AM

I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't even worry about the RAM upgrades until sony and microsoft release another console, the gaming industry is held back because of them, so what' the point of having 6GB or 16GB or RAM when even the people at Crytek are making games around what the consoles can do.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
February 19, 2011 12:58:37 PM

The PC vs. Console argument has been going on for some period of time. In the few 'cross platform' games the Console people are easy pickins.

Then there's the ergonomics I guess I could have my 50" plasma 2' in front of my face while sitting down and look at huge blurry pixels, and connect a good keyboard.

In our house we use it all: Gaming PCs, Xboxes, PS3s, and Wiis all networked. For the multi-player then the Console wins. Otherwise I prefer my PC - period.
m
l
February 26, 2011 1:07:30 AM

Is it bad to put two 1GB's and two 2GB's??
m
l
February 26, 2011 2:04:31 AM

I'm not sure about my answer, but based on my understanding, just think of it this way. You're already using a dual channel 2 GB ram, which your system already recognizes as the memory module. Adding a new RAM module that is different from your present module will confuse your system. It will have a hard time recognizing the 2 different modules as 1 set of memory, due to some reason. The best thing for you to do would be to either sell your current RAM and just buy a new and better one or if you don't want to sell it, just buy the exact same module that you already have, so you can use all 4 slots, and so you won't have to worry about compatibility.
If I were you, I wouldn't gamble and try to make your idea work. I'm not saying there will be 100% failure if you try it, but if in case you do try it and you fail, you end up losing money too. It's really hard to get different components to work together unless there's an expert telling you what to do.
I hope I was able to help.
m
l
February 26, 2011 7:23:15 AM

emmanuelxian07 said:
I'm not sure about my answer, but based on my understanding, just think of it this way. You're already using a dual channel 2 GB ram, which your system already recognizes as the memory module. Adding a new RAM module that is different from your present module will confuse your system. It will have a hard time recognizing the 2 different modules as 1 set of memory, due to some reason. The best thing for you to do would be to either sell your current RAM and just buy a new and better one or if you don't want to sell it, just buy the exact same module that you already have, so you can use all 4 slots, and so you won't have to worry about compatibility.
If I were you, I wouldn't gamble and try to make your idea work. I'm not saying there will be 100% failure if you try it, but if in case you do try it and you fail, you end up losing money too. It's really hard to get different components to work together unless there's an expert telling you what to do.
I hope I was able to help.

thanks for the reply but I don't think that answers my question, I see what you are saying but I have no idea of knowing if it's true

I know people buy them in sets, and I could just buy TWO 2GB chips and save the TWO 1GB chips for another build since my old computer from 2002 (pentium 4 1.8Ghz) keeps powering down unexpectedly
m
l
!