Cleaning dust from hard drives?

kathayes

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
I just took some drives out of my computer and there is dust all over them. What is the best way to clean dust out of the parts that make up a hard drive?

Thanks.

Hard drives have very tiny holes in them to allow for pressure equalization. These holes are so small that dust cannot physically get inside the drive. Dust that has accumulated on the outside of the drive can be removed with a duster. If you wish to clean them further you can use a cloth dampened with water or rubbing alcohol after first removing the layer of dust.

kathayes

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
So dust that has accumulated on the outside of the drive is not harmful at all to the drive?

What about using a can of spray air to get dust off the surface of the drive?

Thanks.

Not harmful in the slightest. There's no need to be careful removing it either, just use a cloth.

I'd never use either water or force (like rubbing with a cloth) over those holes out of fear of forcing something into them. A can of compressed air is $5 at staples/home depot/newegg.

edit: Disk drive error rates go up with temp. To the extent that the cover of dust becomes a blanket then temps go up. Blowing the dust off is probably a good thing. Maybe do this when you blow the dust off the CPU heatsink/fan or out of your video card.