Dose deleting data on an SSD affect performance?

BR iZ NSAN3

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
I'm going to have to re-install windows to make my HDD my primary drive instead of my tiny 64 gig SSD. Will deleting data and then using the storage spots the old data was located decrease performance? Also could i install windows on my HDD while windows is also on my SSD. Or can you not have the same OS on 2 different drives. I plan on placing windows, drivers, and skyrim on my SSD and that is all, everything else will be for my hard-drive.
If you have the knowledge please help i'm not to good with computers yet but trying to learn.

pablo3264

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
I would delete everything then unplug the SSD and only have the HDD plugged in then boot up format the HDD from Windows install and reinstall it all clean.

if you need anything off the SSD don't delete it first, just unplug it and do the install on HDD first... then after clean Install shut down and plug SSD back in, make sure you boot only from the HDD have it set as #1 boot priority via BIOS or select boot from HDD. grab the files you wanna keep off the SSD then format/clear it. Thats what I would do.

I'm guessing you already did what you needed though ^^

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I didn't really follow all that, but it is possible to "secure erase" your SSD and that will reset all of the pages to the original settings. Others here are more knowledgeable. You know how the SSD can only write to large sectors / pages, so it has to go around rewriting everything--to all 1s I believe? The secure erase wipes the entire SSD.

So "will deleting data decrease performance"? This may be an opportunity to bring back the original performance.

Of course, double check this, if that's part of your question.

pablo3264

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Not sure if you mean the first part about me lol I havent slept when I wrote this lol but yeah basically what I would do is just do a clean install with my HDD while the SSD is disconnected, power down, reconnect the ssd and erase everything with a software or manually and it should be good to go back to factory, again thats what I would do because iv'e down this before :p

But yeah sorry if it was confusing

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I believe OCZ has SecureErase on their website. Maybe it will work on your SSD ??

As backup, I cloned my SSD C: and D:\users to an old 250GB HDD as emergency backup. Just cloned C: directly. Then went in and disconnected SSD and started in EUFI bios and selected that drive. It worked. Internet, programs et cetera. I believe you cannot clone the reverse from HDD to SSD because the sector size is smaller on SSD or something. Disconnected HDD and keep it in the case -- just in case. Still do W7 backup, though.