Sign in with
Your question

Wireless/Wired Network Help

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 12, 2004 1:08:02 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on expanding my current wired network to include a wireless solution. I'm a complete novice as far as wireless is concerned and am confused as to what I require to get my network connected.

I currently have 2 computers (XP & FreeBSD) and a HP Laserjet 4 Plus connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router which connects to Broadband Internet via a Motorola SB3100 modem. This is situated upstairs in the 'office'. I am adding another computer downstairs to feed to the TV and would also like to share my existing network resources. I intend to move the Internet connection downstairs too thus eliminating the length of coax travelling around my house.

What should I buy? I've read a few sites and guides but am getting a little confused by all the different devices available.

My initial thoughts are to purchase a wireless router for downstairs connecting the computer via wire since it will be a few feet away. Upstairs to have a Wireless Access Point connected to my existing wired router. This should negate the need to reconfigure the existing network which is setup with static IPs.

Is this correct or are there better solutions? Also, what equipment do you recommend. I was thinking along the lines of the Linksys WRT54G-UK and WAP54G-UK. They are fairly cheap and seem quite popular.

Your advice greatly appreciated.

Mike

More about : wireless wired network

September 12, 2004 4:53:23 PM

If you want to accomplish everything you want to do for a reasonable price I would get a WRT54G and a WAP54G and bridge them.
Comp1\
........BEFSR41-WAP54G (wireless bridge) WRT54G-Comp3
Comp2/

Before you hook up the WRT54G make sure DHCP is disabled on your BEFSR41. Other router services like DNS shouldn't effect anything if they are still running. Disabling those also won't hurt anything though.

Wireless is usually an easier solution but if possible I would definatly just run a cat5 between the 2 floors, put the router downstairs and a small switch upstairs. The speed, reliability, and security of a wired connection cannot be beat.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
September 12, 2004 10:24:18 PM

Thanks folken,

I would prefer to have wired but I have to do as the wife says ;)  so no more cable.
Related resources
September 13, 2004 1:46:37 AM

I'd disable the DHCP on the wireless router myself but it really doesn't matter as long as there's only one DHCP server in the mix, or if your running. Really depends on what the network segment is and if either router will let you change it. The bridges only require IP's for configuration, which you'll definitely want to use as you'll need to setup some form of wireless security. There are several variables that would decide how I'd set it up specifically but you have the basic idea.
September 19, 2004 10:17:27 PM

HI,

Just thought I'd let you all know that my network is up and running. Internet connection on all machines, I just need to set up file sharing and I'm done :) 

Set the WAP54G as a bridge to the WRT54G wireless port MAC and viola !

On reflection I suppose I should have got a wireless bridge but it's working that's the main thing.

Thanks,
bad_back
September 20, 2004 12:09:35 AM

"On reflection I suppose I should have got a wireless bridge but it's working that's the main thing."

You did. You got and AP that has a bridge mode. Virtually the same thing. Not a dedicated bridge but buying a dedicated device wouldn't give you any kind of advantage over an AP setup as a workgroup bridge. Not the way your setup anyway.
!