Did I damage my PCI-E slot? No video, card's fan works...

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
HAF 932
ASUS P7P55D-E LX
Core i5-750
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
XFX Radeon 5870
4 GB Corsair DDR 3
Samsung Spinpoint F3
LG DVD Burner
Windows 7 Pro 64

Yesterday I was re-adjusting my heatsink and reapplying thermal paste and so I removed all of the parts. When I was taking out my Radeon 5870, I did not push the clip to the side and the card or motherboard made a noise (basically, not the gentle sound of taking out the card). This happened three times.

Upon booting my computer, all of the motherboard lights, case lights, etc. come on, as do the fans, including the one on my card. But I do not see an image and my monitor's power button just blinks. When I replaced the 5870 with my 7800GT, I got an image and everything booted just fine, but it only happened two or three times out of eight, as the monitor would no longer display an image. Its fan works fine as well. I also tried using different PCI-E connectors, but it's the same problem. I only have one PCI-E slot to test it in.

I inserted my 7800GT back into my old computer and everything boots perfectly. Too bad that I can't fit the 5870 into my old Antec P180 to test it.

Also, I should add that as my girlfriend was helping me attach the heatsink to the board, she felt that she might have let off some static on one of the extreme corners of the motherboard. But the computer booted after this with the 7800GT a few times with video, and its light still comes on, etc., so I can't image it is because of that. I'm ordering an anti-static wrist wrap soon (do you guys recommend it?).

I tried putting the CMOS pins on 2-3 from 1-2 for ten seconds and back, but the problem still remains.

I do not think that my case came with a speaker connector so I cannot hear any beeps.

This is my question: do you guys think that it is the PCI-E slot since I took it out a bit forcefully? Neither card works in my new computer, but the fans spin, though the 7800GT showed an image a few times before no longer displaying anything upon a restart. The 5870 does not look like it has any damage on its pins (the thing that inserts into the PCI-E slot), though the slot doesn't look like it has any damage, either. I also tried cleaning the 5870's pins with a microfiber cloth with a little bit of lens cleaner on the cloth.

Second question: I cannot image it is the CPU, though I did put on the Hyper 212 Plus a bit tightly (it was a bit loose before, as I was able to spin it in its place with a little bit for force). Is it possible to damage the CPU by putting it on tightly? It does boot every time (and everything comes on except the video), including a few times with video.

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

Hey jsc,

Thanks for the link. Though I read it before, I did not know that it would help in this situation, but it did. I also found my speaker wire. I thought that it was something that came with the case, but it actually came with the motherboard.

I'm still not really sure what the problem was, but here are a list of things that I did:

1. Got rid of the four extra standoffs. I think I put them there thinking that it would make the motherboard more physically stable.

2. Cleaned up the paste around the CPU area (some was oozing a bit) and re-applied it to the heatsink.

3. Got rid of one loose screw that I found, though it was next to the PSU area.

4. Loosened the heatsink, front and back, and still got it to be immovable on the CPU.

5. Loosened all of the screws on the motherboard, heatsink, cards, etc.

6. Disconnected the reset wire before I turned it on for the first time.

7. Took out one stick of RAM before I turned it on for the first time.

I booted and it was perfect. Still don't know what was causing it, but I'm glad that these simple steps did it. I will be sure to follow them for my next build. Great that I don't have to send back the board.

niltomega

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I had the same problem. NONE of my PCI or PCI Express slots worked. Turned out one of my RAM cards was and odd make. Took it out. All fixed. THANKS!
The link below fixed me.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] t-problems

TRENDING THREADS