xaira

Distinguished
Anyway, recently got my hands on a 9800gtx+, problem is my psu is 430 watts and only has 17a on the +12v rail, its been running fine with a hiccup here and there, im getting an 800watt psu with 36a soon, maybe next week, but i recently started getting a high pitched humm from my tower when playing hd, or pretty much any video, its not comming from the speakers, its comming from inside the tower, aso, the card has stopped going to idle clocks, runs at 738mhz all the time, shud i shut down and go to rig 2 until i get the new psu? or am i safe until next week?

Solution
The whine is from your PSU. I've had noisy PSU's before when a heavy load is put on them. Really that PSU is not enough for your card. You maybe ok running it on the desktop, but I wouldn't but a load on it. If you have a smaller card, I would toss that in until you can get a good PSU. You are pushing your luck as it is. I wouldn't want to risk blowing the card, which can happen if underpowered.

PS, you don't need an 800W PSU. 36A on an 800W PSU? What brand/model is it. Most 800W are AT LEAST 60A+. Is it an el'cheapo brand? I would opt for a solid, well know 550-600W PSU that i know will do me good. Just my thoughts.

notty22

Distinguished
Your pushing your luck. The changes you have noticed are either in your head because you feel guilty OR your degrading a already cheapo :) psu and its running on the ragged edge. Get the new psu, you have what 204 watts available ? No one can tell you your safe :)

The whine is from your PSU. I've had noisy PSU's before when a heavy load is put on them. Really that PSU is not enough for your card. You maybe ok running it on the desktop, but I wouldn't but a load on it. If you have a smaller card, I would toss that in until you can get a good PSU. You are pushing your luck as it is. I wouldn't want to risk blowing the card, which can happen if underpowered.

PS, you don't need an 800W PSU. 36A on an 800W PSU? What brand/model is it. Most 800W are AT LEAST 60A+. Is it an el'cheapo brand? I would opt for a solid, well know 550-600W PSU that i know will do me good. Just my thoughts.

Solution