URGENT - Nail Varnish remover for cpu thermal paste removal! ☺☺☺

technobot

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Hi, I've got some nail varnish remover with the below ingredients:

26072008084.jpg

My question is this safe to remove arctic silver 5 because it does conatain acetone but will it damage my copper amd heatsink?

Thank you everybody!

Sorry if this is an odd question, I just thought that this forum has so many clever members that you would know the answer unlike me. :) :) :)
I just want everyboady's opinion on this before I use it.

Thanks again.

By the way the nail varnish remover is not mine

technobot

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Thing is my parents don't have alcahol and I am under 16.
I have read that acetone is very good for removing thermal paste.
The only thing I am worried about is if the nail varnish remover will damage the copper amd heatsink, could it tarnish the heatsink or anything?

Thanks again everybody

Timop

Distinguished

Alcohol as in Rubbing alcohol, not Vodka.
Go to the drug store, they're $1.

technobot

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010

Do you think they would sell it to me in the uk because I look 16 but not 18

Thank you very much timop

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

I think they will. It's no alcohol for drinking. Otherwise, ask for acetone. It has nothing to do with alcohol at all.

Timop

Distinguished

I doubt they would limit you, its denatured so its not considered as consumable.
Its just the thing they use to clean wounds etc.

If I remember correctly in the UK it will be listed on the contents as methylated spirit and should be stocked at any chemist's shop or Sainsbury's / ASDA's etc.
It's amazing what you can pick up living abroad for a couple years.

technobot

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Ok, thanks everyboady, I will buy the Isopropyl off ebay.
They won't care about my age on my dad's account. :)

I have got one more question:
I am going to lap my heatsink, does lapping make much difference and if I do lap my heatsink won't the gap between the heatsink and CPU increase resulting in worse thermal conductivity.

I have got wet and dry paper:
1x240grit
1x600grit
1x800grit
1x1200grit

can you tell me which to use and in what order to use them or how long on each (my fist lapping job, but I have used wet and dry paper at school).

Thanks again everybody

It contacts the CPU only from pressure, not the plastic or any surrounding. If you find the pressure for some reason is not enough (can't imagine unless you lap like 1mm off) then just bend the bracket so that it applies more pressure.

Timop

Distinguished

Lapping does helps, but only by 4-5 degrees max.
What cooler are you using?

Heres a guide: http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/
With wet-to dry paper you cant go too wrong though.

udg

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Just go to Maplins if you live in the UK and buy a bottle of TimClean, I can't remember why but there is a reason why folks didn't use nail varnisher remover, you can also just scrape the old Thermal Paste of with a card of razer blade if you are careful.

KevinWI

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008

Huh? Isopropyl is something you'd buy in the pharmacy. I don't know why you're wasting time/money by buying it on eBay.

Don't use nail polish remover. All of those other additives/ingredients that are in there leave a film. Why do you want ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) left on your CPU or heatsink?

Pure acetone works but you have to be careful when using it.

^ Yep, I doubt acetone would do your mobo any good either if accidently spilled on it - could delaminate the layers or something. Try dipping a piece of plastic into a small amount of acetone and watch what happens..