Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

URGENT - Nail Varnish remover for cpu thermal paste removal! ☺☺☺

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 26, 2010 3:54:34 PM

Hi, I've got some nail varnish remover with the below ingredients:



My question is this safe to remove arctic silver 5 because it does conatain acetone but will it damage my copper amd heatsink?

Thank you everybody!

Sorry if this is an odd question, I just thought that this forum has so many clever members that you would know the answer unlike me. :)  :)  :) 
I just want everyboady's opinion on this before I use it.

Thanks again.

By the way the nail varnish remover is not mine
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 4:11:01 PM

Just use alchohol. Acetone might be corrosive for all I know.
July 26, 2010 4:50:07 PM

Thing is my parents don't have alcahol and I am under 16.
I have read that acetone is very good for removing thermal paste.
The only thing I am worried about is if the nail varnish remover will damage the copper amd heatsink, could it tarnish the heatsink or anything?

Thanks again everybody
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 4:50:44 PM

Try it.

Can't see the harm.
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 4:54:59 PM

technobot said:
Thing is my parents don't have alcahol and I am under 16.
I have read that acetone is very good for removing thermal paste.
The only thing I am worried about is if the nail varnish remover will damage the copper amd heatsink, could it tarnish the heatsink or anything?

Thanks again everybody

Alcohol as in Rubbing alcohol, not Vodka.
Go to the drug store, they're $1.
July 26, 2010 6:28:23 PM

Timop said:
Alcohol as in Rubbing alcohol, not Vodka.
Go to the drug store, they're $1.

Do you think they would sell it to me in the uk because I look 16 but not 18

Thank you very much timop
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 6:34:06 PM

technobot said:
Do you think they would sell it to me in the uk because I look 16 but not 18

Thank you very much timop

I think they will. It's no alcohol for drinking. Otherwise, ask for acetone. It has nothing to do with alcohol at all.
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 6:35:34 PM

technobot said:
Do you think they would sell it to me in the uk because I look 16 but not 18

Thank you very much timop

I doubt they would limit you, its denatured so its not considered as consumable.
Its just the thing they use to clean wounds etc.
a c 203 à CPUs
July 26, 2010 6:41:57 PM

In the UK they call it 'surgical spirit'
a c 203 à CPUs
July 26, 2010 6:44:08 PM


Just in case something thought I was talking about the TV show.
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 6:47:08 PM

Just make sure its Isopropyl or Ethyl alcohol.
a c 203 à CPUs
July 26, 2010 7:09:32 PM

If I remember correctly in the UK it will be listed on the contents as methylated spirit and should be stocked at any chemist's shop or Sainsbury's / ASDA's etc.
It's amazing what you can pick up living abroad for a couple years.
July 26, 2010 8:46:33 PM

Ok, thanks everyboady, I will buy the Isopropyl off ebay.
They won't care about my age on my dad's account. :) 

I have got one more question:
I am going to lap my heatsink, does lapping make much difference and if I do lap my heatsink won't the gap between the heatsink and CPU increase resulting in worse thermal conductivity.

I have got wet and dry paper:
1x240grit
1x600grit
1x800grit
1x1200grit

can you tell me which to use and in what order to use them or how long on each (my fist lapping job, but I have used wet and dry paper at school).

Thanks again everybody
a c 131 à CPUs
July 26, 2010 9:21:25 PM

technobot said:

I have got one more question:
I am going to lap my heatsink, does lapping make much difference and if I do lap my heatsink won't the gap between the heatsink and CPU increase resulting in worse thermal conductivity.

It contacts the CPU only from pressure, not the plastic or any surrounding. If you find the pressure for some reason is not enough (can't imagine unless you lap like 1mm off) then just bend the bracket so that it applies more pressure.
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 9:23:32 PM

technobot said:
Ok, thanks everyboady, I will buy the Isopropyl off ebay.
They won't care about my age on my dad's account. :) 

I have got one more question:
I am going to lap my heatsink, does lapping make much difference and if I do lap my heatsink won't the gap between the heatsink and CPU increase resulting in worse thermal conductivity.

I have got wet and dry paper:
1x240grit
1x600grit
1x800grit
1x1200grit

can you tell me which to use and in what order to use them or how long on each (my fist lapping job, but I have used wet and dry paper at school).

Thanks again everybody

Lapping does helps, but only by 4-5 degrees max.
What cooler are you using?

Heres a guide: http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/
With wet-to dry paper you cant go too wrong though.
July 26, 2010 11:03:58 PM

Just go to Maplins if you live in the UK and buy a bottle of TimClean, I can't remember why but there is a reason why folks didn't use nail varnisher remover, you can also just scrape the old Thermal Paste of with a card of razer blade if you are careful.

July 28, 2010 1:00:03 AM

technobot said:
Ok, thanks everyboady, I will buy the Isopropyl off ebay.
They won't care about my age on my dad's account. :) 

I have got one more question:
I am going to lap my heatsink, does lapping make much difference and if I do lap my heatsink won't the gap between the heatsink and CPU increase resulting in worse thermal conductivity.

I have got wet and dry paper:
1x240grit
1x600grit
1x800grit
1x1200grit

can you tell me which to use and in what order to use them or how long on each (my fist lapping job, but I have used wet and dry paper at school).

Thanks again everybody


Huh? Isopropyl is something you'd buy in the pharmacy. I don't know why you're wasting time/money by buying it on eBay.
a c 107 à CPUs
July 28, 2010 1:40:20 AM

Don't use nail polish remover. All of those other additives/ingredients that are in there leave a film. Why do you want ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) left on your CPU or heatsink?

Pure acetone works but you have to be careful when using it.
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2010 12:18:50 PM

^ Yep, I doubt acetone would do your mobo any good either if accidently spilled on it - could delaminate the layers or something. Try dipping a piece of plastic into a small amount of acetone and watch what happens..
!