Laptop causing hard drive damage

reprovo

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Hi.I've come across laptops that damage hard drives before from a faulty motherboard giving too much power to the component.This time however , the damage resulted In a clicking hard drive.

I had a customer laptop today that was freezing a few seconds after startup.I checked the hard drive and It had failed.It was clicking badly.
I replaced the hard drive with a new 2.5 Ide Hitachi.The hard disk was working perfectly and for around 30 minutes the laptop was fine.It then started giving me the same Issue.I removed the new hard disk and now It was also clicking and had failed.
Can circuit damage to a hard drive cause such a problem with the arm or the motor?

As Bender from Futurama said in the most recent episode "2 times hardly establishes a pattern" It could just be coincidence the other drive failed as well. You would need to try a 3rd known good hard disk to be certain.

reprovo

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I ordered the hard drive from abroad.They're way to overpriced where I live.I'm going to return this one.If I bring a new one and the hard disk fails again, then I might not be able to return It and It would be unfair to the seller If I did.
Regardless of the uncertainty ,Is It possible ?