Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Driver Failures POWERCOLOR PCS+ AX5850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 20, 2010 1:19:00 PM

Hello All,

Specs

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

POWERCOLOR PCS+ AX5850 1GBD5-PPDHG2 Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX ...

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ...

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1339

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X3 435 Rana 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model ADX435WFGIBOX


** I just put this together last week and have only had a few hour to play around with it, but so far my graphics card is totally unstable. Anytime I stress it in the least my screen pixelates, turns blue then black and the driver crashes, I get an error message from windows half the time and the driver recovers, the other half of the time the display stays dead and I have to turn the machine off.

Steps taken:

did a clean driver install of all MOBO drivers and ATI Catalyst 10.1 using drivesweep. No improvement, CD ATI catalyst driver vs 10.1 online same result.

To Do:

I still plan on testing the memory and general system stability but I was wondering if I could be missing something painfully obvious since I am quite new at this and have not seem a lot of others with my same complaints, however there are a few.

Thanks, as always for the attention and advice. Always valuable.


April 20, 2010 1:26:02 PM

Sounds to me its a defective card. Maybe the memory in the card is bad.

I had issues with artifacts is some games when AA was on. Is your anti aliasing on?

Are you sure you have downloaded the **<64-BIT>** drivers. That is also another possible issue.

What game are you playing that is giving you these issues? All games or a specific game?

Thanks

Uber
April 20, 2010 1:28:17 PM

If you have everything else at stock settings, ie CPU isn't OCed and GPU isn't OCed, and it crashes with updated drivers, I would send it back. It is most likely a bum card.

If you want to troubleshoot yourself to see what it is you can do the following:
-Lower the memory clock. If it is fine, you know it's the memory
-Lower the GPU clock. If it is fine, you know it's the GPU
-You can also try raising the GPU voltage, it is is fine it is still the GPU

Just some little nuggets of info there that I did to my card as it is sent back for an RMA, its a 5870. I did the above to determine what it was.
Related resources
April 20, 2010 1:34:11 PM

UberGenocide said:
Sounds to me its a defective card. Maybe the memory in the card is bad.

I had issues with artifacts is some games when AA was on. Is your anti aliasing on?

Are you sure you have downloaded the **<64-BIT>** drivers. That is also another possible issue.

What game are you playing that is giving you these issues? All games or a specific game?

Thanks

Uber



Uber,

Thanks for the reply

All games, ATTITOOL - when scanning for artifacts - lasts about 29 seconds before crashing, oddly 3Dmark worked on the first try but do longer funtions past the first filters. . And I was careful to use 64 bit drivers.

Mark
April 20, 2010 1:37:27 PM

jay2tall said:
If you have everything else at stock settings, ie CPU isn't OCed and GPU isn't OCed, and it crashes with updated drivers, I would send it back. It is most likely a bum card.

If you want to troubleshoot yourself to see what it is you can do the following:
-Lower the memory clock. If it is fine, you know it's the memory
-Lower the GPU clock. If it is fine, you know it's the GPU
-You can also try raising the GPU voltage, it is is fine it is still the GPU

Just some little nuggets of info there that I did to my card as it is sent back for an RMA, its a 5870. I did the above to determine what it was.


Thanks for the suggestions, I will troubleshoot after work! What a bummer.....
April 20, 2010 1:40:39 PM

mrzima said:
Uber,

Thanks for the reply

All games, ATTITOOL - when scanning for artifacts - lasts about 29 seconds before crashing, oddly 3Dmark worked on the first try but do longer funtions past the first filters. . And I was careful to use 64 bit drivers.

Mark


That info helps a lot

Im leaning more toward a faulty card. Do what jay2tall suggested..post the results

I would RMA :) 

Thanks

Uber
April 20, 2010 1:45:43 PM

I am pretty certain it is a bum card. But I always like to know exactly what it is. I'm a curious monkey.
April 20, 2010 2:43:36 PM

2126982,7,136348 said:
I am pretty certain it is a bum card. But I always like to know exactly what it is. I'm a curious monkey.[/quotemsg

bum card = curiously angry monkey

Thanks! I'll post my results.
!