Sign in with
Your question

Dual vs. Quad Core

Last response: in CPUs
July 26, 2010 7:21:24 PM

I was reading a while ago about which is better and people would say that quad core doesn't help much unless you do video editing and such. I'm wonder is this still the case? or have programs really started to use four cores effeciently.

I'm trying to decide between an i3 and core 2 quad, the i3 I could probably overclock a lot more and maybe that coupled with L3 cache and better memory bandwidth would make it a better choice for me. I don't run anything that crazy, mostly win7 media center, iTunes, Firefox, my firewall, and a few low end games but I'm usually doing this all at once so would quad core help me in the multitasking aspect?

More about : dual quad core

a c 159 à CPUs
July 26, 2010 7:40:32 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

You are right, today doesn't exist many games and applications that can use four cores and the most performance jump is with three cores.

Now, from ur options the core 2 quad is a old 775 socket that maybe don't have a good future proof as the i3, i5 or i7. In that case is better the i3 for technology or try to go with the i5-7xx series that is a quad core but with new technology an amazing performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 8:36:45 PM

The best bang-for-the-buck Intel Quad Core with new technology is the i5-760, if you're looking into true quad core tech.

Core i3's and Core i5 6xx are dual cores with hyperthreading, which makes the OS to see 4 virtual threads instead of 2. Basically, it makes the dual-cores work more eficient and it DOESN'T make the Core i3 nor the Core i5 6xx quad core cpu's.

But still, i'd suggest getting Core i3 if you're building a new platform, 'cause the LGA775 is a dead socket for upgrade as of 2/4Q of 2010, despite the fact that C2Q's are true quad cores.
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2010 8:56:06 PM

I might recommend the i3 to someone but how good are the built in graphics? The person I'm designing this PC for doesn't game at all, but are the graphics good enough to run HD video? and how do they stack up to motherboard graphics?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 9:02:28 PM

I think they are basicly the same thing as, let's say, Intel X4500HD or so. They are good in HD playback too.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 9:04:15 PM

unknown_13 said:
despite the fact that C2Q's are true quad cores.

Well, technically there not "true" quad cores.

They are quad core cpu's but the way intel made them was putting 2 dies together (basically two core 2 duo's cpu's that were glued together) and they communicated with each other though the FSB instead of directly with each other like the other quad core cpu's like Phenom I & II's, core i5 7xx, and core i7 can.

Although it's still a surprise the core 2 quads had as good of performance as they did even with the horrible means of communication between other cores.

Anyways, @ the OP

I would say If you want an intel cpu, i would go with the Core I3. It will handle everything very well for what you said you do.

Although if you really need quad core cpu but on budget, you can always look at the AMD athlon II x4's. it's a quad core cpu with most of the models at or under $100.

Overall though, the faster Core i3's will be better for you.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2010 9:09:26 PM

warmon6 said:
Well, technically there not "true" quad cores.

They are quad core cpu's but the way intel made them was putting 2 dies together (basically two core 2 duo's cpu's that were glued together) and they communicated with each other though the FSB instead of directly with each other like the other quad core cpu's like Phenom I & II's, core i5 7xx, and core i7 can.

Although it's still a surprise the core 2 quads had as good of performance as they did even with the horrible means of communication between other cores.

Anyways, @ the OP

I would say If you want an intel cpu, i would go with the Core I3. It will handle everything very well for what you said you do.

Although if you really need quad core cpu but on budget, you can always look at the AMD athlon II x4's. it's a quad core cpu with most of the models at or under $100.

Overall though, the faster Core i3's will be better for you.

Yeah i wanted to say that they have 4 PHYSICAL cores instead of HT. And the C2Q's were a lot faster than Phenom 9xxx, which is a TRUE quad core, despite the fact that C2Q's were 2xC2D.
m
l
July 26, 2010 11:06:54 PM

Just buy what you can afford, if you have enough for a quad core then get that, Yes most games don't use the 4 but that can change easily with the way PC technology moves therefore you have your quad-core ready.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
July 27, 2010 8:28:07 AM

It will be sometime before games start to take advantage of quad cores. I have a quad core and the only program I use which takes advantage of all cores is Handbrake. I use it to encode movie using the X.264 codec into the MKV format container.

I think Alan Wake was supposed to be the first PC game to utilize all four cores, but Alan Wake for the PC seems to be in limbo while the XBox version has been released. A quad core cpu is recommended for GTA 4, but that's only because it is such a poorly coded port of an Xbox game.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2010 7:21:32 AM

Here are some games that take advantage of quad core CPU's.Note this is not an all inclusive list as there are more games using quad core CPU's out there.
http://www.grandtheftpc.com/2010/03/7-pc-games-that-run...
I know that the newer simulation Rise of Flight takes advantage of it and FSX is optimized pretty well for it.
Here is an older list of quad core applications
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243332-28-programs-co...

Also look at these other older articles too.

How Many CPU Cores Do You Need?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/multi-core-cpu,2280...

Part 2: How Many CPU Cores Do You Need?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cores-performan...
m
l
!