Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Rsbot.org does not work.

Last response: in Networking
February 28, 2010 8:16:54 PM

Hello,I'm requesting help because I cannot get to a certain site that I know is working. It works with my friends PC, but not with mine. This is the only site that I want to go that that really isn't working. I went to cmd, and pinged it.. This is what I came up with.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Jeff>PING www.rsbot.org

Pinging www.rsbot.org [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

I don't know what any of that means.. Haha. In IE, I get the "This webpage does not exist" error, in Google Crome, I get ERROR 102 CONNECTION REFUSED; haven't tried Firefox but I don't assume it would be any different. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : rsbot org work

February 28, 2010 8:24:07 PM

It looks to me like your anti-virus or anti-malware is probably blocking that website.
m
l
February 28, 2010 8:28:53 PM

eibgrad said:
It looks to me like your anti-virus or anti-malware is probably blocking that website.

I'm using Avast Free Anti-Vir with Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes doesn't have shields, and when I turn Avast shields off and restart the browser, it has no affect on whether or not I can get to the website.. Although the website did stop working right after I downloaded Avast, or around that time anyway.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 28, 2010 8:30:50 PM

If you check the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file, you'll probably find that website name and 127.0.0.1 in there, that's the blocking mechanism many of these applications use. The fact you stopped the application doesn't normally remove those types of entries! You could delete it, but if it’s the anti-virus or anti-malware that's updating the file, it may just put it back, eventually. So if it’s one of those applications to blame, you need to check and see if you can exclude that entry from the hosts file.

Based on the fact the problem started after Avast was installed, I'd bet anything it inserted those changes to the hosts file.
February 28, 2010 8:58:34 PM

Yes, rsbot.org is in there... I opened it with Notepad but I'm not exactly sure how to save it, because I can only open it in a txt form, but I don't want to save it in that form do I? How exactly do I go about erasing it from there?
m
l
February 28, 2010 9:54:55 PM

You can just delete the line and save the file w/ notepad. It's just a simple text file, nothing fancy. If it makes you feel more comfortable, back up the hosts file before editing (e.g., hosts.bak).

m
l
February 28, 2010 10:40:40 PM

eibgrad said:
You can just delete the line and save the file w/ notepad. It's just a simple text file, nothing fancy. If it makes you feel more comfortable, back up the hosts file before editing (e.g., hosts.bak).

Ugh, problem, when I deleted the lines and then saved it, it says access denied. Apparently I'm not allowed to save; even though I'm admin on this computer. >.< It asks if I would rather save to documents... What should I do?
m
l
February 28, 2010 10:49:04 PM

Never mind, I had to edit the security permissions. IT WORKS! Thank you so much, I don't know how this happened, but your answer worked perfectly. I can now access the site! Thanks so much again!
m
l
February 28, 2010 10:49:56 PM

Best answer selected by fgocards.
m
l
Anonymous
March 6, 2010 4:36:48 PM

Hmm.. That doesnt really work. Even tho i deleted the line which had 127.0.0.1 in it. I have same stuff like he but no malware bytes. But i use firefox which delivers me straight into search engine. Maybe you would wanna screenshot? ^^
m
l
Anonymous
March 6, 2010 4:47:51 PM

P.S. Ie8 brings up same thing. :o 
m
l
!