Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Well I bought the D-70 (A couple of surprises)

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 12:12:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks to everyone who read my Tristate photo post. I got anxious and
bought at the local camera store, it cost me about $150 more, but that was
within the range that I don't mind paying to patronize a local store.

Surprise #1 - No cable release. I like to use a gun stock for birds,
airplanes and some other action shots. Guess I will have rig something up
with the remote. Has anyone tackled this yet?

Surprise #2 - Focal plane shutter and x flash sychronization. This was
always a problem with fill flash in bright light and much lower speed film.
Any solutions here, neutral density filters maybe? Or maybe something
clever that I haven't thought of. Somehow I had thought that the shutter
would be completely electronic. (Live and Learn)

Surprise #3 - Salesman said that my current flashes, including some Nikon
Flashes may not work with camera. He couldn't tell me why except to say
that they weren't built for digital.

Wow and I haven't even opened the box yet. I am sure more questions will
come up after I start using it.
--
JakeInHartsel
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 7:26:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>From: Glenn Jacobs gjacobs@remove.starband.net

>Surprise #2 - Focal plane shutter and x flash sychronization. This was
>always a problem with fill flash in bright light and much lower speed film.

With Canon the higher end flashes have a 'high speed sync' mode that syncs the
flash up to 1/8,000 th sec shutter speeds (with reduced power) ... I'm pretty
sure Nikon has the same features on some of their newer flash units. This
solves THAT problem :) 
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 7:26:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 11 Dec 2004 16:26:40 GMT, Bill Hilton wrote:

> Path: text02!c01.usenetserver.com!c03.atl99.usenetserver.com!news.usenetserver.com!ngpeer.news.aol.com!audrey-m1.news.aol.com!not-for-mail
> Lines: 11
> X-Admin: news@aol.com
> From: bhilton665@aol.comedy (Bill Hilton)
> Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
> Date: 11 Dec 2004 16:26:40 GMT
> References: <1r3qgslyuyleg.k8q4jziiettw.dlg@40tude.net>
> Organization: AOL http://www.aol.com
> Subject: Re: Well I bought the D-70 (A couple of surprises)
> Message-ID: <20041211112640.06333.00001543@mb-m18.aol.com>
> Xref: c01.usenetserver.com rec.photo.digital:1132923
> X-Received-Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:26:46 EST (text02)
>
>>From: Glenn Jacobs gjacobs@remove.starband.net
>
>>Surprise #2 - Focal plane shutter and x flash sychronization. This was
>>always a problem with fill flash in bright light and much lower speed film.
>
> With Canon the higher end flashes have a 'high speed sync' mode that syncs the
> flash up to 1/8,000 th sec shutter speeds (with reduced power) ... I'm pretty
> sure Nikon has the same features on some of their newer flash units. This
> solves THAT problem :) 

I should have got out the manual and not just have gone on what the
salesman said. I just got out the manual and it says the flash syncs from
1/60 to 1/500, which should solve the problem. The salesman had told me at
1/60 only. I guess I should know better than to believe a salesman with
out checking.

Jake
Related resources
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:01:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Glenn Jacobs <gjacobs@remove.starband.net> writes:

> I should have got out the manual and not just have gone on what the
> salesman said. I just got out the manual and it says the flash syncs from
> 1/60 to 1/500, which should solve the problem. The salesman had told me at
> 1/60 only. I guess I should know better than to believe a salesman with
> out checking.

Yes, the Nikon D70 has one of the fastest shutter syncs for non-dedicated
flashes.

In terms of dedicated flashes, Nikon's new DSLRs (D70, D2H, D2X) require a new
flash system because they changed the internal workings. Canon recently did
the same thing with the 20D and 1D/1Ds mark2 I believe (I know they did with
the 20d, not sure about the pro cameras).

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
December 11, 2004 8:16:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Glenn Jacobs" <gjacobs@remove.starband.net> wrote in message
news:1r3qgslyuyleg.k8q4jziiettw.dlg@40tude.net...
> Thanks to everyone who read my Tristate photo post. I got anxious and
> bought at the local camera store, it cost me about $150 more, but that was
> within the range that I don't mind paying to patronize a local store.
>
> Surprise #1 - No cable release. I like to use a gun stock for birds,
> airplanes and some other action shots. Guess I will have rig something up
> with the remote. Has anyone tackled this yet?
>
It uses an infrared sensor for the remote release function. The remote is
the hard to find ML-L3. At least, when you find it, the release doesn't
cost so much.

Jim
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:16:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Jim wrote:
>>
> It uses an infrared sensor for the remote release function. The
> remote is the hard to find ML-L3. At least, when you find it, the
> release doesn't cost so much.

Any Ritz Camera will special order you one for $17.99 and tell you it could
take up to 30 days to get. They had mine FedEx'ed to the store in 7 days.
I picked one up for $17.99 at one of the local camera shops before my order
came in at Ritz, so I now have two. I was going to list the second one on
eBay and double my money, but decided to keep it as a spare.

Rita
--
http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/
December 11, 2004 9:20:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Glenn Jacobs" <gjacobs@remove.starband.net> wrote in message
news:1r3qgslyuyleg.k8q4jziiettw.dlg@40tude.net...
> Thanks to everyone who read my Tristate photo post. I got anxious and
> bought at the local camera store, it cost me about $150 more, but that was
> within the range that I don't mind paying to patronize a local store.
>
> Surprise #2 - Focal plane shutter and x flash sychronization. This was
> always a problem with fill flash in bright light and much lower speed
film.
> Any solutions here, neutral density filters maybe? Or maybe something
> clever that I haven't thought of. Somehow I had thought that the shutter
> would be completely electronic. (Live and Learn)
>
> Surprise #3 - Salesman said that my current flashes, including some Nikon
> Flashes may not work with camera. He couldn't tell me why except to say
> that they weren't built for digital.
>
There is a table in the manual which describes which functions of the non DX
flashes will work with the D70.
My flash is an SB27; the camera expects you to enable the automatic function
of the flash (no TTL). Unless you do that, the camera will not fire.

It seems that the TTL functions don't work because film has a different
reflectivity than the CCD.
Jim
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:16:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Glenn Jacobs <gjacobs@remove.starband.net> wrote in
news:1r3qgslyuyleg.k8q4jziiettw.dlg@40tude.net:

> Surprise #3 - Salesman said that my current flashes, including some Nikon
> Flashes may not work with camera. He couldn't tell me why except to say
> that they weren't built for digital.

I've heard the same as well. Basically, there's a new line of flashes
coming out in a couple of months and they all want to convince everyone to
buy the new stuff.
That's my take on it at least.

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:33:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Glenn Jacobs" <gjacobs@remove.starband.net> wrote in message
news:1sxf6nz2jqi8g.je259kpeec9z.dlg@40tude.net...
> I should have got out the manual and not just have gone on what the
> salesman said. I just got out the manual and it says the flash syncs from
> 1/60 to 1/500, which should solve the problem. The salesman had told me
at
> 1/60 only. I guess I should know better than to believe a salesman with
> out checking.
>
> Jake


Let that be a lesson, Jake. In today's world, people try to come off as
knowing more than they know in order to sell, sell, sell. It's easy to
catch salespeople embellishing, fabricating lies, etc., just to get a piece
of the action. You have to be careful about every thing you buy, it seems.

Every once in a while, you meet a good salesperson that is very
knowledgeable, yet admits it when (s)he doesn't know the answer. It is
refreshing to do business with these minorities.

Clyde Torres
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 10:51:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:20:40 GMT, Jim wrote:

Well i have tended to use manual settings mostly so maybe that won't be a
major issue for me.

I am somewhat intiminated by the numbers of buttons, settings and whatever,
but I guess that will just take time to learn. Should be a lot easier
since you don't have to go through all the darkroom processes to see what
you did.

jake

> There is a table in the manual which describes which functions of the non DX
> flashes will work with the D70.
> My flash is an SB27; the camera expects you to enable the automatic function
> of the flash (no TTL). Unless you do that, the camera will not fire.
>
> It seems that the TTL functions don't work because film has a different
> reflectivity than the CCD.
> Jim
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:33:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <bYFud.38981$bP2.7487@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, Jim
<j.n@nospam.com> wrote:

> It uses an infrared sensor for the remote release function. The remote is
> the hard to find ML-L3. At least, when you find it, the release doesn't
> cost so much.

THe ML-L3 has a disappointing range -- that is, I've got to be within a
narrow area on the left side of the camera and hold the remote up in
the air to get it to work. This is a pain if you trigger from afar, but
it's no problem at all if you use it as a cable release.

I shot a hundred or so tripod shots at slow speeds using it yesterday
and the ML-L3 was great as a substitute for a cable release but
annoying when I tried to put myself into the shot.

-=-Joe
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:33:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:33:27 GMT, Eager wrote:

> Path: be02!c01.usenetserver.com!c03.atl99.usenetserver.com!atl-c02.usenetserver.com!chi1.usenetserver.com!news.usenetserver.com!pd7cy2so!shaw.ca!elnk-pas-nf1!elnk-nf2-pas!newsfeed.earthlink.net!stamper.news.pas.earthlink.net!newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net.POSTED!bcd86a95!not-for-mail
> Subject: Re: Well I bought the D-70 (A couple of surprises)
> From: Eager <DONTEVEN@TRYTOWRITE.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
> Message-ID: <121220040732120322%DONTEVEN@TRYTOWRITE.com>
> References: <1r3qgslyuyleg.k8q4jziiettw.dlg@40tude.net> <bYFud.38981$bP2.7487@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
> Mail-Copies-To: nobody
> User-Agent: Thoth/1.7.2 (Carbon/OS X)
> Lines: 17
> Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:33:27 GMT
> NNTP-Posting-Host: 67.101.128.11
> X-Complaints-To: abuse@earthlink.net
> X-Trace: newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net 1102854807 67.101.128.11 (Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:33:27 PST)
> NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:33:27 PST
> Organization: EarthLink Inc. -- http://www.EarthLink.net
> Xref: c01.usenetserver.com rec.photo.digital:1133284
> X-Received-Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:32:27 EST (be02)
But does anyone have an idea how it could be rigged up tp use of a shutter
release in a gun stock set up. I can envision setups involving mirrors and
such but would like to not be overly Rube Goldbergish. Of course I am
hampered by not having one to look at. The store that I bought the camera
was out of them.

Jake

> In article <bYFud.38981$bP2.7487@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, Jim
> <j.n@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> THe ML-L3 has a disappointing range -- that is, I've got to be within a
> narrow area on the left side of the camera and hold the remote up in
> the air to get it to work. This is a pain if you trigger from afar, but
> it's no problem at all if you use it as a cable release.
>
> I shot a hundred or so tripod shots at slow speeds using it yesterday
> and the ML-L3 was great as a substitute for a cable release but
> annoying when I tried to put myself into the shot.
>
> -=-Joe
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:33:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> But does anyone have an idea how it could be rigged up tp use of a
> shutter release in a gun stock set up. I can envision setups
> involving mirrors and such but would like to not be overly Rube
> Goldbergish. Of course I am hampered by not having one to look at.
> The store that I bought the camera was out of them.

The simple solution is to open up the remote control and solder a two
conductor cable to the switch leads on the back of the PCB. Run this cable
to a momentary SPST switch that is used as a trigger or placed behind the
trigger. Permanently mount the remote facing the camera and enjoy.

BTW> Does anyone know how to set the D70 to keep the remote function active
till you want to turn it off? For some reason, mine only stays active for
about 5-minutes before I have to reset the camera for the remote to work
again.


Rita
--
http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:44:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Mine works fine Joe, it may be the battery, when I first bought mine, the
battery was stuffed, as soon as I replaced it, I didn't have any issues with
range or the direction.


--
Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown


"Eager" <DONTEVEN@TRYTOWRITE.com> wrote in message
news:121220040732120322%DONTEVEN@TRYTOWRITE.com...
> In article <bYFud.38981$bP2.7487@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, Jim
> <j.n@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > It uses an infrared sensor for the remote release function. The remote
is
> > the hard to find ML-L3. At least, when you find it, the release doesn't
> > cost so much.
>
> THe ML-L3 has a disappointing range -- that is, I've got to be within a
> narrow area on the left side of the camera and hold the remote up in
> the air to get it to work. This is a pain if you trigger from afar, but
> it's no problem at all if you use it as a cable release.
>
> I shot a hundred or so tripod shots at slow speeds using it yesterday
> and the ML-L3 was great as a substitute for a cable release but
> annoying when I tried to put myself into the shot.
>
> -=-Joe
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:24:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Mick Brown" <nmcs@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:F2Xud.70173$K7.29258@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>
>> THe ML-L3 has a disappointing range -- that is, I've got to be within a
>> narrow area on the left side of the camera and hold the remote up in
>> the air to get it to work. This is a pain if you trigger from afar, but
>> it's no problem at all if you use it as a cable release.

Another option is to use a PROGRAMMABLE remote control - Philips Pronto
series for example and search the net for a config file for the D70 - there
is one there. I actually have mine running on a Pronto emulator on my
cellphone, which is kind of neat as I don't have to worry about finding an
ML-L3 as I always have my cellphone handy.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:26:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Michael Meissner" <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote in message
news:m3brd0jxzg.fsf@glinda.the-meissners.org...
> Glenn Jacobs <gjacobs@remove.starband.net> writes:
>
>> I should have got out the manual and not just have gone on what the
>> salesman said. I just got out the manual and it says the flash syncs
>> from
>> 1/60 to 1/500, which should solve the problem. The salesman had told me
>> at
>> 1/60 only. I guess I should know better than to believe a salesman with
>> out checking.
>
> Yes, the Nikon D70 has one of the fastest shutter syncs for non-dedicated
> flashes.
>
> In terms of dedicated flashes, Nikon's new DSLRs (D70, D2H, D2X) require a
> new
> flash system because they changed the internal workings. Canon recently
> did
> the same thing with the 20D and 1D/1Ds mark2 I believe (I know they did
> with
> the 20d, not sure about the pro cameras).

The new flashes are good though. I just got the SB-800 - and it's really
nice. Some very slick remote functions, although that means I now want to
buy an SB600 as well. Or two....
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 11:13:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Bill Hilton <bhilton665@aol.comedy> schrieb:
>>From: Glenn Jacobs gjacobs@remove.starband.net
>
>>Surprise #2 - Focal plane shutter and x flash sychronization. This was
>>always a problem with fill flash in bright light and much lower speed film.
>
> With Canon the higher end flashes have a 'high speed sync' mode that syncs the
> flash up to 1/8,000 th sec shutter speeds (with reduced power) ... I'm pretty
> sure Nikon has the same features on some of their newer flash units. This
> solves THAT problem :) 

Nikon does have such a mode (but not in the D70), and it will NOT help
at all with this problem. Fill flash is all about the balance between
available light and flash. The high speed modes reduce the flash power
by the same amount the available light is reduced by the shorter shutter
speed, hence they cannot help to overpower the sun.

Walter
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 11:17:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

adm <adm1@fastmail.fm> schrieb:
>
> Another option is to use a PROGRAMMABLE remote control - Philips Pronto
> series for example and search the net for a config file for the D70 - there
> is one there. I actually have mine running on a Pronto emulator on my
> cellphone, which is kind of neat as I don't have to worry about finding an
> ML-L3 as I always have my cellphone handy.

Indeed. There is also a palm program which can trigger the D70.

Walter
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 11:19:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04@aol.com> schrieb:
>
> BTW> Does anyone know how to set the D70 to keep the remote function active
> till you want to turn it off? For some reason, mine only stays active for
> about 5-minutes before I have to reset the camera for the remote to work
> again.

There is a custom function to change this to 15min.
Attaching an AC adapter will disable the timeout altogether.

Walter
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 12:09:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 12 Dec 2004 in rec.photo.digital, Walter Hofmann wrote:

> Indeed. There is also a palm program which can trigger the D70.

Do you have a more specific reference? I googled and checked some of the
palm software sites with no luck. Thanks!

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 12:29:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

OmniRemote ...

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-...

Phil

Joe Makowiec wrote:
> On 12 Dec 2004 in rec.photo.digital, Walter Hofmann wrote:
>
>
>>Indeed. There is also a palm program which can trigger the D70.
>
>
> Do you have a more specific reference? I googled and checked some of the
> palm software sites with no luck. Thanks!
>
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 10:49:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Michael Meissner wrote:
> In terms of dedicated flashes, Nikon's new DSLRs (D70, D2H, D2X)
> require a new flash system because they changed the internal workings.
> Canon recently did the same thing with the 20D and 1D/1Ds mark2 I
> believe (I know they did with the 20d, not sure about the pro cameras).

The Canon EOS 20D and EOS-1D(s) Mark-II bodies are equiped with an
enhanced E-TTL capability which is backward compatible with all E-TTL
speedlites made to date (EX flashes).

-Dave
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 12:13:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Michael Meissner" <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote in message
news:m3brd0jxzg.fsf@glinda.the-meissners.org...
>
> Yes, the Nikon D70 has one of the fastest shutter syncs for non-dedicated
> flashes.
>
> In terms of dedicated flashes, Nikon's new DSLRs (D70, D2H, D2X) require a
> new
> flash system because they changed the internal workings. Canon recently
> did
> the same thing with the 20D and 1D/1Ds mark2 I believe (I know they did
> with
> the 20d, not sure about the pro cameras).
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
> http://www.the-meissners.org

All the old EX flashes work on the 20D, 1D/1Ds mkII bodies. And they
utilize the features of E-TTL II.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:46:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <F2Xud.70173$K7.29258@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Mick
Brown <nmcs@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Mine works fine Joe, it may be the battery, when I first bought mine, the
> battery was stuffed, as soon as I replaced it, I didn't have any issues with
> range or the direction.

Excellent suggestion -- I should have thought of that!

-=-Joe
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:52:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <10rona2oj8cko91@news.supernews.com>, Rita Ä Berkowitz
<ritaberk2O04@aol.com> wrote:

> BTW> Does anyone know how to set the D70 to keep the remote function active
> till you want to turn it off? For some reason, mine only stays active for
> about 5-minutes before I have to reset the camera for the remote to work
> again.

Turn on the D70 menus, select the CSM menu (the pencil icon) and then
scroll down to #25 -- "remote." Your choices are 1 m, 5m, 10m, and 15m.

-=-Joe
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:52:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:52:18 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Eager
<DONTEVEN@TRYTOWRITE.com> wrote:

>Turn on the D70 menus, select the CSM menu (the pencil icon) and then
>scroll down to #25 -- "remote." Your choices are 1 m, 5m, 10m, and 15m.

On p. 154 of the manual. Just be sure you have enabled the detailed
CSM Menu selection in the Setup Menu!
________________________________________________________
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:52:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
news:ftirr0db16rf3o23lpsvpu9366alcu5h8c@4ax.com...
>
> On p. 154 of the manual. Just be sure you have enabled the detailed
> CSM Menu selection in the Setup Menu!

Thanks, I did that yesterday and all is working. I couldn't find the option
#25 in the menu so I broke down and opened the manual and found the part
about the detailed "CSM Menu" and enabled it. Thanks again.


Rita
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 11:11:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:22:05 GMT, Owamanga wrote:

> Path: be05!c01.usenetserver.com!c03.atl99.usenetserver.com!atl-c02.usenetserver.com!news.usenetserver.com!feed5.newsreader.com!newsreader.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!newsfeed2.easynews.com!easynews.com!easynews!easynews-local!news.easynews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
> From: Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
> Subject: Re: Well I bought the D-70 (A couple of surprises)
> Message-ID: <mr2rr0d754kp3bhoeus8v0fsdvksp5od9e@4ax.com>
> References: <1r3qgslyuyleg.k8q4jziiettw.dlg@40tude.net>
> X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.91/32.564
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Lines: 79
> X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
> Organization: EasyNews, UseNet made Easy!
> X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
> Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:22:05 GMT
> Xref: c01.usenetserver.com rec.photo.digital:1133659
>
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:12:17 -0700, Glenn Jacobs
> <gjacobs@remove.starband.net> wrote:
>
>>Thanks to everyone who read my Tristate photo post. I got anxious and
>>bought at the local camera store, it cost me about $150 more, but that was
>>within the range that I don't mind paying to patronize a local store.
>>
>>Surprise #1 - No cable release. I like to use a gun stock for birds,
>>airplanes and some other action shots. Guess I will have rig something up
>>with the remote. Has anyone tackled this yet?
>
> Jezz, you drop a $800 on a body and don't even bother do to simple
> research about what it's capabilities are?
>
<Snip>
Thanks Qwamanga, yes i am guilrty of not doing all my homewaork, but then i
was guilty of that in college forty plus years ago, so perhaps i am
incorrigible :-)
Jake
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 4:22:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> writes:
> Jezz, you drop a $800 on a body and don't even bother do to simple
> research about what it's capabilities are?
>
> This model is not a pro DSLR from Nikon, they need to make some
> separation between the prosumer line and the pro line, an obvious one
> is not to support cable-release. I am sure you can do something with
> the IR remote. A cable to IR interface would be useful here.

Doink. This is an eight hundred dollar camera (I thought more like
$1K, can you really get them for $800) and it can't take a standard
cable release? It can't even take an electronic remote release except
that silly infrared thing? Even the cheapest 35mm SLR's Nikon ever
made, like the EM (which had no manual shutter speed settings) took
some kind of cable release.

> For full iTTL metering you need either the SB-600 or SB-800, again
> this puts the D70 into a different class than the D1 & D100. Your old
> SB-80DX etc is 'digital' capable, but are for Nikon Pro DSLRs only.

Can I get any use from my SB-24?

Do you have any opinion about the Pentax *ist DS? It's a lot smaller
than the D70. I have a lot of old Nikon stuff which pulls me towards
the D70, but if I didn't have the D70, the Pentax looks a lot nicer.
!