Can add unallocated memory to partition

ryfry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I've partitioned my hard drive once or twice before with no problems. Recently I installed windows 8 thinking it would simply make a partition on my hdd and I would dual boot. I was wrong, it wrote over my windows 7 and I was pretty flustered. Windows 8 at the time was regarded at the systems main partition. I decided to partition my hdd out to dual boot win 8 and win 7. I didn't really use win 8 so I formatted the partition and deleted so now its joined some exrta unallocated memory. Problem is I cant add it to my windows 7 partiton. My windows 7 partition is listed as drive c, system, boot, page file, active, crash, dump, and primary partition. Drive e, which is the 100mb one is also listed as primary partition. Hope some of this info helps you help me? lol
Thanks ahead of time.

Solution

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Where is the unallocated space now? Before the windows 7 partition or at the end of the partition, if it is at the end of the partition, you could use the snap-in disk management with the function "Extend volume" to add it into, if the space is before the Windows 7 partition, you could only use some other partition software, such as G parted(OSS), Partition Assistant Home Edition (freeware), or Disk Director (not free).

Hope this could help you.

Solution

ryfry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

Thanks for the response, I posted in overclock.net and got some help there.
The setup was originally (system partition)(windows8)(windows7). I formatted windows 8 and deleted it which made it look like
(sytem)(unallocated memory)(windows7). I was able to use a aomei to merge the unallocated with the windows 7. It had to move everything and reboot but so far no problems, aside from losing the driver for my wireless adaptor.

Latest posts