Sign in with
Your question

Sabertooth X58 SATA3 Issues

Last response: in Motherboards
February 10, 2011 9:34:08 PM

Hi.

I recently bought an ASUS Sabertooth X58 board, and it came with 2x SATA III ports under a Marvell 88SE91xx controller. I also just bought a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black drive (WD1002FAEX) and when I plug it into the SATA3 ports, upon boot I get a "Marvel 88SE91xx Initializing..." message, and shortly after a "No virtual disk!" message listing the new WD SATA3 drive I have connected to it. If I connect it to a regular SATA2 port, it boots fine and the drive is recognized. I've tried changing the settings in the bios for the 91xx controller to IDE mode, AHCI mode, etc., with no success. I've also tried clearing my CMOS. No change in detection, it still fails to recognize the drive with SATA3 connection... :heink: 

I have read in some places that many people are having the same issue, so I'm wondering if anyone is able to help me out here. Here are my current specs in case you need any info:

Sabertooth X58
i7 950 stock
8GB DDR3
EVGA GTX 570
1x SATA DVD Burner
1x 500GB SATA2 WD HDD (boot)
1x 1TB SATA3 WD HDD (data) ** the drive I've been trying to connect using the sata3 ports with no success.
Windows 7 x64

All bios and mobo drivers are up to date, as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Bryan
February 10, 2011 10:06:07 PM

Yeah, I'm using those cables lol, and a different cable for the SATA2 ports I use.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2011 2:59:42 AM

I suggest you forget the Marvell SATA ports and stick with the Intel SATA2 ones. The WD HDD will work on a SATA 2 controller too. I have the Sabretooth x58 and I also have a WD 1002 1T just like you. You won't see a huge improvement in performance with the Sata3 and IMO, the Marvell Controllers are not the best choice for any drive.

If you want real performance gain, I strongly suggest an SSD for your boot and then use the WD HDDs for data and programs. I did this last week when the OCZ Vertex2 went on sale and wow, what a huge difference in performance. According to Atto Disk benchmark, I am getting 270 M/sec. My third drive is a VRaptor 10,000 rpm HDD....it does 110 M/sec. The WD 1002 wasn't far behind that.

Yeah, I know, it is easy to spend other people's money. :wahoo: 

m
l
March 31, 2011 6:58:51 PM

Eagle Eye_54 said:
If you want real performance gain, I strongly suggest an SSD for your boot and then use the WD HDDs for data and programs. :

How would one go about setting up an ssd but telling windows to install programs somewhere else?
m
l
May 25, 2011 11:46:32 PM

i got the same issue when a receive my pc, and make me some BSOD

here is my setup:

Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.2GHZ
ASUS Sabertooth X58
OCZ Vertex 2 Extended ( by the way its a sata2 drive )
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB
GeForce GTX 570 732MHZ 1280MB 3.8GHZ
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte PC3-12800 12GB 3X4GB DDR3-1600

note that this ssd is a sata2 drive and remember that a lot of ssd are too, i have buyed that setup from ncix with the build option and it was a desaster. techs have plagued my ssd into the first sata3 port and the wd hdd in the second one. That was incredable how i could have BSOD each 5 min lol. i tested my pc again and again with chckdisk memtest and alla the *** like that, a soon as i remember that the ssd was sata2, ''oh *** my bad i switch plug of the ssd on a sata2 port with a sata 2 cable, omg all work great now. the joke os that i have paid 65$ build option to ncix to saw that their tech are not really better than us to craft a pc lol. so i have my ssd plug to the fisrt sata2 plug with sata2 cable, my wd hdd on sata3 port(the second one) with the black and white cable from asus. i also change the primary hdd setup in bios and put the ssd on the first devide have to be called and boot from, 2 options in bios for that, 1rst in boot seq, the second in the hdd primary setup page, also update bios but do nothing for bsod for sata3, for the moment i think my best bet is to run my ssd o sata2 port. i read a lot of issues like ours and sata3 ssd have the same issues because of the marvell driver is like ***, so best bet is to wait of a drivers fix
m
l
!