CntrlAltDel

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I basically purchased my Samsung HM500JI 500 GB Hard drive in around early 2011 and I used it as my external hard drive for quite some time. It was working fine since I bought it, till the moment Windows error check ran and attempted to repair the hard drive when my PC booted, it ran all checks and when my PC booted, the hard drive could hardly work. When I tried to transfer a file on to it, it would run halfway through the process of sending and then it would slow down to 500KBps and then it would freeze.
I've tried browsing the web about this issue and came up with a program called "HDD Regenerator" which I booted my PC with and it basically scanned and regenerated a portion of my hard drive, I can tell its working because when I ran the app at first it repaired the first 13 GB of the hard drive, and when I transfer a file on the drive which occupies less then 13 GB then it transfers fine at 120MBps, the moment I transfer files over the 13 GB mark then the transfer rate becomes inconsistent and dials down to 500KBps and ultimately it fails.
Back to my point about HDD Regenerator being able to do the trick, I would use the app but the estimated time for a complete fix would be around 800 hours as it repairs 1 sector at a time, does anyone know any program that can do this faster? If so, please respond.
The drive is also in mint shape, like the day I bought it, not even a scratch and I've never dropped it, it also never left my home, so I doubt it could be physical implications.

Also, another useful piece of information about the problem is that if I do error checking it doesn't allow me to completely finish the checking process, the process will shoot at the beginning and then slow down and then completely stop and when it has completely stopped, the entire computer freezes till I reboot.
Also, when I boot the PC with the hard drive plugged directly into the S-ATA port, the part where the BIOS detects connected drives, it hangs there a bit for a minute or two. I've also tried using the Seagate Tools both Windows based and DoS based, non helped since they seem to not support the Samsung HM500JI 2.5' drive, the only options I seem to have is the scanning options and that's all, and drive happens to fail all tests unless plugged in via USB 2.0 port then suddenly it passes all tests.

CntrlAltDel

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

I've tried hundreds of possible solutions and that happens to be the basic and general solution but it didn't help, I've probably formatted the drive 100 times and I've even tried deleting and recreating the hard drive partition, I even went through with a full hard drive zeros and ones wipe, didn't quite help.

Hi,

This is an EXTERNAL hard drive. Is it eSATA or USB2 or USB3 attached?

"13 GB then it transfers fine at 120MBps" If this is 120MB/sec then this may be measuring a WRITE CACHE, not the data actually going to the disk. USB would not support 120MB/sec. (if you really meant 120megabits with small b = 12 MBytes/sec then ignore).

Strongly agree with the copy off and reformat not using the "quick" option advice. That will trigger processing on the drive. It'll also take a long time.

edit: Windows7 "resource monitor" gives nice stats on queue depth and write rates to drives. Google it. Can you post some of the stats ?

CntrlAltDel

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

It was used as an external hard drive but then after I connected it to my PC and use it as an internal drive.