Tomb Raider Fan Fiction Competition 2004

Last response: in Video Games
July 28, 2004 3:52:34 PM

This year, Tomb Raider Community Network (
http://www.pcgamesdb.com/tombraider/ ) and TombRaiderGirl.Com (
http://www.tombraidergirl.com ), in association with leading Tomb
Raider Fan Sites - TombRaiderInc.Com, TombRaider4U.Com,
PlanetLara.Com, The Village of Tokakeriby Forums, Tales of Lara Croft
fanzine ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/croftcomics ), TombRaider.Ru
and with some of its member sites, is holding a fan fiction
competition - Tomb Raider Fan Fiction Competition 2004.

All Tomb Raider fan fiction writers are invited to participate in this
event. Details regarding competition are as follows:

Starting Date: July 16th, 2004
Ending Date: October 1st, 2004
Winner Announcement Date: October 15th, 2004

Terms:
1. Only not-published stories are accepted. All submissions will be
cross-checked via the databases of our trusted partners and supporting
friends. Works which were already published, will be deleted and
contestant disqualified;
2. Plagiaristic submissions STRICTLY FORBIDDEN! Such submissions will
be deleted and member will be disqualified for 3 (three) competitions
which will be held in future, including the current one;
3. Works will be accepted in 3 categories: short stories (up to 2
pages), medium-size stories (3 - 20 pages) and novels (21+ pages);
4. We reserve the right to change these terms anytime.

Prizes:
1. Upcoming Official Tomb Raider Fiction Book: The Lost Cult (
http://www.pcgamesdb.com/tombraider/store.php?ASIN=0345... );
2. TRComm.Net staff member, Paolo "greensheep" Vido and TR.Ru staff
member St.Natla will draw a sketch on winner stories of Novels and
Short-stories categories, respectively;
3. Winning story of Short Stories and Medium-size Stories categories
will be published on Tales of Lara Croft fanzine (possibly not in the
same issue - this is because of page restriction of the magazine)
alongside with accompanied art-works by St.Natla and greensheep;
4. Free copy of the latest issue of Tales of Lara Croft fanzine;

Judges of Competition:
Below is the latest list of judges of competition. This list is
subject to change anytime, during the event. For the most fresh list,
check http://forum.tombraidergirl.net/viewforum.php?f=28 - Lara's
Treasure Room Forums.

1. Tim Radley (well-known Tomb Raider fan fiction writer),
2. Jana Novatscheck - webmistress of Tombraidergirl.Com,
3. James Watson - editor of Tales of Lara Croft fanzine,
4. Geremy Carnes and Colin Pall - TRComm Fan Fictions Managers,
5. Paolo Vido - TRComm Fan Arts Editor,
6. Chris Ridgeon - webmaster of PlanetLara.Com,
7. Steve Reaper - owner of The Village of Tokakeriby forums,
8. Caroline Alexiou - webmistress of TombRaider4U.Com.

Competition will be held via Lara's Treasure Room Forums at:
http://forum.tombraidergirl.net/viewforum.php?f=28 . Detailed
information can be received in the forums.

We wish good luck to all participants!
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 2:09:57 AM

"Shehi" wrote

> and with some of its member sites, is holding a fan fiction
> competition - Tomb Raider Fan Fiction Competition 2004.
>
> All Tomb Raider fan fiction writers are invited to participate in this
> event. Details regarding competition are as follows:
>
> Starting Date: July 16th, 2004
> Ending Date: October 1st, 2004
> Winner Announcement Date: October 15th, 2004

<snip details>

Heh... Maybe I'll actually finish...

(to be cont'd...)

;-D
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 2:09:58 AM

"bbocquin" <SirTalksAlot@chatteringnuns.com> wrote in message news:<VuVNc.21540$v06.6894@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>...
> "Shehi" wrote
>
> > and with some of its member sites, is holding a fan fiction
> > competition - Tomb Raider Fan Fiction Competition 2004.
> >
> > All Tomb Raider fan fiction writers are invited to participate in this
> > event. Details regarding competition are as follows:
> >
> > Starting Date: July 16th, 2004
> > Ending Date: October 1st, 2004
> > Winner Announcement Date: October 15th, 2004
> >

> <snip details>
>
> Heh... Maybe I'll actually finish...
>
> (to be cont'd...)
>
> ;-D

So you will submit a story?

Shehi
TRComm.Net
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 12:31:33 PM

"Shehi" <shehriyari@trcomm.net> wrote in message
> "bbocquin" <SirTalksAlot@chatteringnuns.com> wrote in message
> > "Shehi" wrote
> >
> > > and with some of its member sites, is holding a fan fiction
> > > competition - Tomb Raider Fan Fiction Competition 2004.
> > >
> > > All Tomb Raider fan fiction writers are invited to participate in this
> > > event. Details regarding competition are as follows:
> > >
> > > Starting Date: July 16th, 2004
> > > Ending Date: October 1st, 2004
> > > Winner Announcement Date: October 15th, 2004
> > >

> > <snip details>
> >
> > Heh... Maybe I'll actually finish...
> >
> > (to be cont'd...)
> >
> > ;-D
>

> So you will submit a story?
>

> Shehi
> TRComm.Net

LOL -sorry couldn't help laughing- you are not familiar with Bruce's work
on alt.fan.lara-croft? ;)  (where oddly the competition news was not posted
as far as I (or rather my news reader) can see?)

Dungeonbunny <waves a hi to teasy Bruce ;)  >
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:39:02 AM

I don't get that newsgroup (too). Where can I read Bruce's work?

WY

"Dungeonbunny" <Dungeonbunny@amuse-guele@isletsoflangerhan.org> wrote in
message news:WI1Oc.24803$m63.16867@animal.nntpserver.com...

> "Shehi" <shehriyari@trcomm.net> wrote in message
> > "bbocquin" <SirTalksAlot@chatteringnuns.com> wrote in message
> > > "Shehi" wrote

> > > <snip details>
> > >
> > > Heh... Maybe I'll actually finish...
> > >
> > > (to be cont'd...)
> > >
> > > ;-D
> >

> > So you will submit a story?
> >

> > Shehi
> > TRComm.Net
>
> LOL -sorry couldn't help laughing- you are not familiar with Bruce's work
> on alt.fan.lara-croft? ;)  (where oddly the competition news was not posted
> as far as I (or rather my news reader) can see?)
>
> Dungeonbunny <waves a hi to teasy Bruce ;)  >

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:42:52 AM

"W. Y." wrote

> I don't get that newsgroup (too). Where can I read Bruce's work?
>
> WY

Suppose you could google for it at alt.fan.lara-croft if it's even there.
My ISP is pretty weird about AFL-C. It *says* that it's there, but no
messages...

Say it ain't so!

AFL-C is alive and well! I just googled, and found plenty of posts! :)

Anyway, the title was "Don't Drink the Water", but I wouldn't bother if I
were you. Unless you just want a sampling of my "style" so to speak, it's
probably not worth the bother since I never finished it. :-o !

Thanks for the interest tho.... :) )

> "Dungeonbunny"wrote
> >
> > "Shehi" wrote

> > > "bbocquin" wrote

> this

> > > So you will submit a story?
> > >

> > > Shehi
> > > TRComm.Net
> >
> > LOL -sorry couldn't help laughing- you are not familiar with Bruce's
work
> > on alt.fan.lara-croft? ;)  (where oddly the competition news was not
posted
> > as far as I (or rather my news reader) can see?)

Yeah. It's pretty weird about AFL-C, but that's the obvious place to post
the announcement for GS, AG, Andy and maybe even GM...

(Gary you had great ideas about TRLR-- you should write something! :) )

> > Dungeonbunny <waves a hi to teasy Bruce ;)  >

<snigger>

ill advised, *not funny* Bruce in this case!

<more sniggering>

"Who said that you were EVER funny Bruce?"

<laughing>

Ha ha!

OK...point taken! :D

<waves back at DB>

So hey you! Long time no hear. Still doing "fixer-up" projects?

Ah the joys of a nice compound mitre saw...

<Time Allen mode>

"Power tools Arrrggg!"
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:43:48 AM

"Shehi" wrote

> "bbocquin" wrote

> > "Shehi" wrote
> >
> > > and with some of its member sites, is holding a fan fiction
> > > competition - Tomb Raider Fan Fiction Competition 2004.
> > >
> > > All Tomb Raider fan fiction writers are invited to participate in this
> > > event. Details regarding competition are as follows:
> > >
> > > Starting Date: July 16th, 2004
> > > Ending Date: October 1st, 2004
> > > Winner Announcement Date: October 15th, 2004
> > >

> > <snip details>
> >
> > Heh... Maybe I'll actually finish...
> >
> > (to be cont'd...)
> >
> > ;-D
>

> So you will submit a story?

Sorry about that Shehi...

I shouldn't have typed that. It was just sort of an "inside" joke poking
fun at myself since a few years ago-- I started writing a story called
"Don't Drink the Water", but I never finished it...

Few if any people here would probably even recognize or remember the
inference. Very self indulgent and boorish on my part-- I apologize.

Writing a novella can be time pretty time consuming though, and well...

I got tired of it... :)

It was up to about 70 single spaced pages (with a 10pt font) and Lara hadn't
even done any "raiding" yet!

Still, I don't like "loose ends" and so I maybe I should finish it just for
the principle of the thing.

So....

October 15th is a reasonable enough deadline. I also work better if I know
I have a deadline. :)

So to answer your question then: "will I submit something?"

I'll give it a try... :)

Cheers & good luck with your contest!!

--Bruce
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 12:59:42 PM

bbocquin wrote:

> "Shehi" wrote
>
> > "bbocquin" wrote
>
> > > "Shehi" wrote

> > > <snip details>
> > >
> > > Heh... Maybe I'll actually finish...
> > >
> > > (to be cont'd...)
> > >
> > > ;-D
> >

> > So you will submit a story?
> >

> Sorry about that Shehi...
>
> I shouldn't have typed that. It was just sort of an "inside" joke poking
> fun at myself since a few years ago-- I started writing a story called
> "Don't Drink the Water", but I never finished it...
>
> Few if any people here would probably even recognize or remember the
> inference. Very self indulgent and boorish on my part-- I apologize.
>
> Writing a novella can be time pretty time consuming though, and well...
>
> I got tired of it... :)
>
> It was up to about 70 single spaced pages (with a 10pt font) and Lara hadn't
> even done any "raiding" yet!
>
> Still, I don't like "loose ends" and so I maybe I should finish it just for
> the principle of the thing.
>
> So....
>
> October 15th is a reasonable enough deadline. I also work better if I know
> I have a deadline. :)
>
> So to answer your question then: "will I submit something?"
>
> I'll give it a try... :)

If you finish it, will you post the remainder here or on
AFL-C?

-- G
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 6:01:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider,alt.fan.lara-croft (More info?)

Shehi posted:

> [...]
> Below is the latest list of judges of competition. This list is
> subject to change anytime, during the event. For the most fresh list,
> check http://forum.tombraidergirl.net/viewforum.php?f=28 - Lara's
> Treasure Room Forums.
>
> 1. Tim Radley (well-known Tomb Raider fan fiction writer),
> 2. Jana Novatscheck - webmistress of Tombraidergirl.Com,
> 3. James Watson - editor of Tales of Lara Croft fanzine,
> 4. Geremy Carnes and Colin Pall - TRComm Fan Fictions Managers,
> 5. Paolo Vido - TRComm Fan Arts Editor,
> 6. Chris Ridgeon - webmaster of PlanetLara.Com,
> 7. Steve Reaper - owner of The Village of Tokakeriby forums,
> 8. Caroline Alexiou - webmistress of TombRaider4U.Com.
>
> Competition will be held via Lara's Treasure Room Forums at:
> http://forum.tombraidergirl.net/viewforum.php?f=28 . Detailed
> information can be received in the forums.

Wow! Seems there can only *be winners* for this sort of thing. Those
writing gain experience of a deadline plus exposure and for the rest of
us, the volumes of fanfic at our disposal in one spot sounds terrific!

I noticed this didn't show up at alt.fan.lara-croft too, so I am cross
posting my reply there. I hope this is appropriate, I just want to
get this info ASAP to a few who may *only* hang out there. AFL-C is a
spot where there are already TR fans delighting other TR fans with their
own wonderful TR fanfic tales..,

--
Ms T
ever changing calm

Dungeonbunny wrote:
> "Shehi" <shehriyari@trcomm.net> wrote in message
>> "bbocquin" <SirTalksAlot@chatteringnuns.com> wrote in message
>>> "Shehi" wrote

>>> <snip details>
>>>
>>> Heh... Maybe I'll actually finish...
>>>
>>> (to be cont'd...)
>>>
>>> ;-D
>>

>> So you will submit a story?
>>

>> Shehi
>> TRComm.Net
>
> LOL -sorry couldn't help laughing- you are not familiar with Bruce's
> work on alt.fan.lara-croft? ;)  (where oddly the competition news was
> not posted as far as I (or rather my news reader) can see?)
>
> Dungeonbunny <waves a hi to teasy Bruce ;)  >

Well, goodness me! After a bit of reading in some of Shehis mentioned
forums, I find the complete omission of usenets alt.fan.lara-croft is
willful and deliberate on part of the 'Tomb Raider Community". Rather
snobby if you ask me, or even if you don't! :)
McGrandpa [AGT]
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 3:23:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider,alt.fan.lara-croft (More info?)

Hi All!

Terms of competition updated! Also we have added word-number based
convention for sizes.

http://www.pcgamesdb.com/tombraider/events.php

HAPPY RAIDING!

Shehi
Tomb Raider Community Webmaster
http://www.trcomm.net
http://www.tombraidercommunity.com

"Ms T" <anthropoid@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<BeJOc.12903$8G6.3160@fed1read04>...
> [...]
> > 6. Chris Ridgeon - webmaster of PlanetLara.Com,
> > 7. Steve Reaper - owner of The Village of Tokakeriby forums,
> > 8. Caroline Alexiou - webmistress of TombRaider4U.Com.
> >
> > Competition will be held via Lara's Treasure Room Forums at:
> > http://forum.tombraidergirl.net/viewforum.php?f=28 . Detailed
> > information can be received in the forums.
> >
> > We wish good luck to all participants!
>
> Wow! Seems there can only *be winners* for this sort of thing. Those
> writing gain experience of a deadline plus exposure and for the rest of
> us, the volumes of fanfic at our disposal in one spot sounds terrific!
>
> I noticed this didn't show up at alt.fan.lara-croft too, so I am cross
> posting my reply there. I hope this is appropriate, I just want to
> get this info ASAP to a few who may *only* hang out there. AFL-C is a
> spot where there are already TR fans delighting other TR fans with their
August 2, 2004 10:36:16 AM

Shehi wrote:

> 3. Published works: It means all works published in anyway, including
> forums, newsgroups and web sites. If publication date is prior to
> contest start date, then that stuff is not applicable for contest.

Why this...odd...insistence on UNpublished works only, if, as you imply,
your sole concern is the edification of the Tomb Raider fan community?
It wouldn't be that you want to retain the rights to all the
submissions, would it?

--
rolobeastie@earthlink.net
Just asking. Not really expecting an answer either.

Archived from groups: alt.fan.lara-croft,alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

<left unsnipped for reference on AGT>

> > In article <%xQOc.10699$Zm3.751@fe2.texas.rr.com>,

> > > I would think that posted is not the same as published. I think I'd
> > > ask?
> >
> > I just did. (The forum where the rules are posted has a place to ask
> > such things). If it has appeared on the Internet somewhere it counts as
> > 'published'. Which, in my case if I want to submit something, means I
> > can't follow my normal procedure of posting works-in-progress on my
> > weblog since that counts as 'published'.
> >
> > And rewrites are out also.
> >
> > > MHO only, of course.
> >
> > The rules aren't quite "Internet friendly" are they :-). They are
> > apparently written for people who do fanzines mostly (among other
> > things.. based on the rules determining story length by pages of
> > indeterminate length when a "page" in web terms can be any length.).
> >
> > Not sure I'll enter something myself...
> >
> > -Andy-
>

> Hi all,
>
> I am Tomb Raider Community webmaster, Shehi. Just found out this
> group. To be frank I got very sad when saw some posts here.
>
> Some more about contest:
>
> 1. Andy: If you didn't like rules, you could any time contact us and
> give suggestions etc. So why to speak like this? I am sad about this
> :(  We regularly hold this competitions and there always have been good
> amount of applications to it. And contestants always contributes with
> their valuable ideas/suggestions. I would expect the same thing here.
>
> 2. McGrandpa: "People/sites calling themselves TRCommunity"? Why such
> a hostility?! Yes we don't mention any usenet groups because: more
> than 50% of TR fans even don't know about the existence of Usenet
> groups. I myself, just found out this newsgroup. Most of our partner
> sites, including ourselves are not US based, plus HTTP has become much
> bigger than NNTP. Most of surfers even don't have News:// access. So
> can you tell me why shall any of TR sites should bother themselves
> with these groups? Most of us already have our own forums. I think
> more than normal if TR sites lack information regarding news groups.
>

> We will try to do sth with the Terms of contest. That "published
> works" part will be reviewed soon.
>
> HAPPY RAIDING!
>

> Shehi
> Tomb Raider Community Webmaster
> http://www.trcomm.net
> http://www.tombraidercommunity.com
> http://www.pcgamesdb.com/tombraider

Hello :)

I just wandered over to your community- curious about the fuss and flurry of
exchange of posts- since I am only an editor of Arthur Green's stories on
this ng- (and a fan of Gordian Slash it goes without saying! ) and a regular
poster on agt (alt.games.tombraider).

You went *live* in September 2002? <gasp!> my dear! - you are positively a
babe-in-arms where Tombraiding is concerned. None of us experienced Raiders
have heard of you :)

http://www.giddylocks.com/lrwalkthrough/index.html (as you will note it was
up and running in 1999- days after the game hit the shelves)- I wouldn't be
surprised if this very walkthrough (previously with a Croft Times link from
this page http://www.cubeit.com/ctimes/solutions/tlr.htm- was used by many
of your members-before you existed- being the official Croft Times Last
Revelation walkthrough. That was a *big* deal way back then on the WWW. :)
You don't need to know about newsgroups to know about walkthroughs- its
newbie territory of the most basic kind. And quite possibly the first
search any Tomb Raider will put in Google :)  One of our contributors was
Jeff Reid- whom many of us consider an authority on gameplay.

http://www.tombraiders.net/stella/ here is Stella's - who also posts in our
ng's.Stella is one of *us* :)

I have had the honour to have close ties with Croft Times editor Luis who
has had to give up the hosting due to lack of funds and so it is now on my
personal site but even *you* must of heard of the Croft Times surely?
(probably cut your surfing teeth on it? :)  ) and Stella's walkthrough's?
And Jeff's save games? http://www.tombraiders.net/stella/savegame.html

Pauls' Glidos programme perhaps for playing TR1?
http://www.glidos.net/

Dracman possibly?
http://www.smokeypoint.com/banshee.htm

(apologies to those I left out- I am just making a point here not an
advertising billboard ;)  )

That's a no- is it? :)  You claimed to know more about the WWW than
newsgroups and ask the question :

Quote: *So
> can you tell me why shall any of TR sites should bother themselves
> with these groups? * /end quote

Because my dear- quite simply - those people who quite possibly inspired you
to begin your small- *very small* community (which we all wish the very
best to I am sure in what we might consider its *infancy* ) such a short
time ago are right here in our very midst :)  and have been for many years.

so.......... if it's experience of any aspects of the Tomb Raiding
community you are looking for-technical,gaming,art- rather than peddling
what appears to many as inferior goods- pull up a virtual chair - sit back
and I am sure you will learn more that you ever dreamed of! :)

Dungeonbunny
co-founder and editor of Croft Times' Last Revelation Walkthrough
http://www.giddylocks.com/lrwalkthrough/index.html
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 1:19:58 PM

Hi GS

The aim of our competitions is to keep TR world alive. How can you
keep it if in contests old, professional works participate, everytime,
making newcomers efforts meaningless?! We want new ideas, works to
come, that way to keep community alive. The fandom is not totally
dead, so we don't need any everything-goes contest to revive it. We
just want new fresh fans, new fresh ideas to make it exciting and
crowded. That is why published works were not accepted. But we took
some of ideas posted here, and made some changes in rules, to satisfy
everyone.

The goal of contest is not to unify fandom. It is the goal of
community's. This competition serves as a tool for some of its goals,
and that is all. Please lets not mix missions with objectives :)

HAPPY RAIDING!

Shehi
TRComm Webmaster

Gordian Slash <rolobeastie@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<410DE19A.8FACA187@earthlink.net>...
> Shehi wrote:
>
> > 3. Published works: It means all works published in anyway, including
> > forums, newsgroups and web sites. If publication date is prior to
> > contest start date, then that stuff is not applicable for contest.
>

> Why this...odd...insistence on UNpublished works only, if, as you imply,
> your sole concern is the edification of the Tomb Raider fan community?
> It wouldn't be that you want to retain the rights to all the
> submissions, would it?
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 5:06:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.lara-croft,alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

Ha ha. Nope, not September 2002. March 2001, after I closed my The
Longest Journey site which was there for 2 years. I know TR Universe
very well, no need to teach me, my friend. I did not ask for that. And
next time, please try to be more polite, as I am in contact with those
and all other TR webmasters much often than you are. All of them are
good contrbutors, friends of our community, plus most are our good
partners.

Remember Tombraiders.Com? Theresa Jenne? :)  If so, just keep doing
so... ;)

I will be very glad not to see your further comments on this topic. If
you want to teach me more TR, my email addy is above. Try private
channels... I know your works very well. Sad that you like introducing
yourself this way.

If you have suggestions, brilliant ideas or complaints regarding fan
fiction contest, please try to share them either here, or at our
contest forum. Thanks in advance!

"Dungeonbunny" <Dungeonbunny@amuse-guele@isletsoflangerhan.org> wrote in message news:<PBmPc.119298$vJ6.101676@cyclops.nntpserver.com>...
> [...]
> newsgroups and ask the question :
>
> Quote: *So
> > can you tell me why shall any of TR sites should bother themselves
> > with these groups? * /end quote
>
> Because my dear- quite simply - those people who quite possibly inspired you
> to begin your small- *very small* community (which we all wish the very
> best to I am sure in what we might consider its *infancy* ) such a short
> time ago are right here in our very midst :)  and have been for many years.
>
> so.......... if it's experience of any aspects of the Tomb Raiding
> community you are looking for-technical,gaming,art- rather than peddling
> what appears to many as inferior goods- pull up a virtual chair - sit back
> and I am sure you will learn more that you ever dreamed of! :)
>
> Dungeonbunny
> co-founder and editor of Croft Times' Last Revelation Walkthrough
August 2, 2004 5:24:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.lara-croft,alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

Ok, ok... I see I annoyed you guys by saying that I don't care about
news groups. Sorry if it sounded too rude, but I actually meant that
it became #2 for me. I have posted here for a very long time, not with
this name though, and I know how old and reliable are newsgroups. They
remind me the days when we were using gopher:// :)  But by time I lost
interest in them, especially after certain events... So I think you
should understand why I was so biased.

But still don't understand what you meant by not mentioning news
groups in our site. Can someone tell me what you mean by this? You
know our system is membership based, and all stuff are member
contributions. So if you meant adding link of news groups to our sites
list, then I think it is not possible - we do not add sites ourselves.
If you meant, adding news/guide about tr related news groups, then I
have to say that it is not in my interest - we already have forums. I
hope you understand whole thing. And please also note that TRComm is
non-commercial, fan supported site. Thanks for understanding!

HAPPY RAIDING!

Shehi
TRComm Webmaster
http://www.trcomm.net
http://www.tombraidercommunity.com
http://www.pcgamesdb.com/tombraider

"Dungeonbunny" <Dungeonbunny@amuse-guele@isletsoflangerhan.org> wrote in message news:<PBmPc.119298$vJ6.101676@cyclops.nntpserver.com>...
> Quote: *So
> > can you tell me why shall any of TR sites should bother themselves
> > with these groups? * /end quote
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 3:53:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.lara-croft,alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

Forget it Shehi, you're muddling it up even worse.

The newsgroups existed before any of the sites you mentioned. The
newsgroups are an excellent resource, and your refusal to accept them as
a part of your private Tombraider community is acceptable as long as
your PRIVATE community is just that. Private.

The real issue, is your definition of * PUBLISHED * .

I believe we are looking at both a language and culture issue.

Shehi wrote:
> Ok, ok... I see I annoyed you guys by saying that I don't care about
> news groups. Sorry if it sounded too rude, but I actually meant that
> it became #2 for me. I have posted here for a very long time, not with
> this name though, and I know how old and reliable are newsgroups. They
> remind me the days when we were using gopher:// :)  But by time I lost
> interest in them, especially after certain events... So I think you
> should understand why I was so biased.
>
> But still don't understand what you meant by not mentioning news
> groups in our site. Can someone tell me what you mean by this? You
> know our system is membership based, and all stuff are member
> contributions. So if you meant adding link of news groups to our sites
> list, then I think it is not possible - we do not add sites ourselves.
> If you meant, adding news/guide about tr related news groups, then I
> have to say that it is not in my interest - we already have forums. I
> hope you understand whole thing. And please also note that TRComm is
> non-commercial, fan supported site. Thanks for understanding!
>

> HAPPY RAIDING!
>
> Shehi
> TRComm Webmaster
> http://www.trcomm.net
> http://www.tombraidercommunity.com
> http://www.pcgamesdb.com/tombraider
>

> "Dungeonbunny" <Dungeonbunny@amuse-guele@isletsoflangerhan.org> wrote
> in message news:<PBmPc.119298$vJ6.101676@cyclops.nntpserver.com>...
>> Quote: *So
>>> can you tell me why shall any of TR sites should bother themselves
>>> with these groups? * /end quote
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 3:57:28 AM

Shehi wrote:
> Hi GS
>
> The aim of our competitions is to keep TR world alive. How can you
> keep it if in contests old, professional works]

Are you now saying that if a written work appears on the internet
ANYwhere, then it is considered PROFESSIONAL??? So if a person posts
some words in a newsgroup message then they are a PROFESSIONAL?
Goodness, I would have a number of Doctorates by this time if that were
so!

I'm beginning to think you may be a con artist Shehi.

McG.

participate, everytime,
> making newcomers efforts meaningless?! We want new ideas, works to
> come, that way to keep community alive. The fandom is not totally
> dead, so we don't need any everything-goes contest to revive it. We
> just want new fresh fans, new fresh ideas to make it exciting and
> crowded. That is why published works were not accepted. But we took
> some of ideas posted here, and made some changes in rules, to satisfy
> everyone.
>
> The goal of contest is not to unify fandom. It is the goal of
> community's. This competition serves as a tool for some of its goals,
> and that is all. Please lets not mix missions with objectives :)
>

> HAPPY RAIDING!
>

> Shehi
> TRComm Webmaster
> http://www.trcomm.net
> http://www.tombraidercommunity.com
> http://www.pcgamesdb.com/tombraider
>

> Gordian Slash <rolobeastie@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Shehi wrote:
>>
>>> 3. Published works: It means all works published in anyway,
>>> including forums, newsgroups and web sites. If publication date is
>>> prior to contest start date, then that stuff is not applicable for
>>> contest.
>>

>> Why this...odd...insistence on UNpublished works only, if, as you
>> imply, your sole concern is the edification of the Tomb Raider fan
>> community? It wouldn't be that you want to retain the rights to all
>> the submissions, would it?
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 4:07:23 AM

Gordian Slash wrote:
> Shehi wrote:
>
>> 3. Published works: It means all works published in anyway, including
>> forums, newsgroups and web sites. If publication date is prior to
>> contest start date, then that stuff is not applicable for contest.
>

> Why this...odd...insistence on UNpublished works only, if, as you
> imply, your sole concern is the edification of the Tomb Raider fan
> community? It wouldn't be that you want to retain the rights to all
> the submissions, would it?
>
> --
> rolobeastie@earthlink.net
> Just asking. Not really expecting an answer either.

Hey, GS...since he/she/it snuck the word 'professional' in there, I
think your, Andys, PW's and Bruces amateur fanfic is perfectly qualified
for their....er...'contest'. :)
McG.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:46:57 AM

Shehi wrote:
> Ok, ok... I see I annoyed you guys by saying that I don't care about
> news groups. Sorry if it sounded too rude, but I actually meant that
> it became #2 for me. I have posted here for a very long time, not with
> this name though,

Really? Ya don't say! Oh lemme guess: Travveller?? Lopez?? Nah,
they all speak English! Or at least in mostly complete sentences. So
it must be someone even more forgettable! So what name did you post
under?

> and I know how old and reliable are newsgroups. They
> remind me the days when we were using gopher:// :)  But by time I lost
> interest in them, especially after certain events...

Really? (again!) Ya don't say! So what certain events? Comeon now,
don't be shy! Be specific!

>So I think you
> should understand why I was so biased.

We might understand *IF* you explained *WHY* you are so biased!

> But still don't understand what you meant by not mentioning news
> groups in our site. Can someone tell me what you mean by this? You
> know our system is membership based, and all stuff are member
> contributions. So if you meant adding link of news groups to our sites
> list, then I think it is not possible - we do not add sites ourselves.
> If you meant, adding news/guide about tr related news groups, then I
> have to say that it is not in my interest - we already have forums. I
> hope you understand whole thing. And please also note that TRComm is
> non-commercial, fan supported site. Thanks for understanding!

So, what are all the links on the left side of your pages then?
*LINKS!*

> HAPPY RAIDING!

Yes, and absolutely without you! or your spamming the newsgroups you
spurn and whose members you insult.

McGrandpa [AGT, AFL-C, AGH-L, AGQx, AGH, AGM, AGE-S]

> Shehi
> TRComm Webmaster
> http://www.trcomm.net
> http://www.tombraidercommunity.com
> http://www.pcgamesdb.com/tombraider
>

> "Dungeonbunny" <Dungeonbunny@amuse-guele@isletsoflangerhan.org> wrote
> in message news:<PBmPc.119298$vJ6.101676@cyclops.nntpserver.com>...
>> Quote: *So
>>> can you tell me why shall any of TR sites should bother themselves
>>> with these groups? * /end quote
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 3:07:41 AM

On 2 Aug 2004 13:06:55 -0700, shehriyari@trcomm.net (Shehi) wrote:

>Ha ha. Nope, not September 2002. March 2001, after I closed my The
>Longest Journey site which was there for 2 years. I know TR Universe
>very well, no need to teach me, my friend. I did not ask for that. And
>next time, please try to be more polite, as I am in contact with those
>and all other TR webmasters much often than you are. All of them are
>good contrbutors, friends of our community, plus most are our good
>partners.

I'm trying to figure out how much of a threat these TR webmasters
actually are. Have they some kind of mystical power that we should be
wary of? Control over Usenet cancelbots?

FEAR THE TR WEBMASTER CABAL!

- AG

"We are two countries separated by a common language"
George Bernard Shaw, on England and America
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 3:27:18 AM

Arthur Green wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2004 13:06:55 -0700, shehriyari@trcomm.net (Shehi) wrote:
>
>> Ha ha. Nope, not September 2002. March 2001, after I closed my The
>> Longest Journey site which was there for 2 years. I know TR Universe
>> very well, no need to teach me, my friend. I did not ask for that.
>> And next time, please try to be more polite, as I am in contact with
>> those and all other TR webmasters much often than you are. All of
>> them are good contrbutors, friends of our community, plus most are
>> our good partners.
>
> I'm trying to figure out how much of a threat these TR webmasters
> actually are. Have they some kind of mystical power that we should be
> wary of? Control over Usenet cancelbots?
>
> FEAR THE TR WEBMASTER CABAL!

Oh no! I'm shaking! <squeaks out a puny: HALP!>
McG.

> - AG
>
> "We are two countries separated by a common language"
> George Bernard Shaw, on England and America
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 3:49:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.lara-croft,alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

There I was, minding my own business, when Arthur Green said...

> On 2 Aug 2004 13:06:55 -0700, shehriyari@trcomm.net (Shehi) wrote:
>
>> Ha ha. Nope, not September 2002. March 2001, after I closed my The
>> Longest Journey site which was there for 2 years. I know TR Universe
>> very well, no need to teach me, my friend. I did not ask for that.
>> And next time, please try to be more polite, as I am in contact with
>> those and all other TR webmasters much often than you are. All of
>> them are good contrbutors, friends of our community, plus most are
>> our good partners.
>
> I'm trying to figure out how much of a threat these TR webmasters
> actually are. Have they some kind of mystical power that we should be
> wary of? Control over Usenet cancelbots?
>
> FEAR THE TR WEBMASTER CABAL!

One day I shall be a webmaster. Then I'll show you all!!

Bwahahaha!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA<cough>HAHAHA<coughcough>HAHAHAHA!

> - AG

Duncan
Twirling handle bar mustache and flourishing cape in a demonic fashion.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 3:49:20 AM

Thunderchief wrote:
> There I was, minding my own business, when Arthur Green said...
>
>> On 2 Aug 2004 13:06:55 -0700, shehriyari@trcomm.net (Shehi) wrote:
>>
>>> Ha ha. Nope, not September 2002. March 2001, after I closed my The
>>> Longest Journey site which was there for 2 years. I know TR Universe
>>> very well, no need to teach me, my friend. I did not ask for that.
>>> And next time, please try to be more polite, as I am in contact with
>>> those and all other TR webmasters much often than you are. All of
>>> them are good contrbutors, friends of our community, plus most are
>>> our good partners.
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out how much of a threat these TR webmasters
>> actually are. Have they some kind of mystical power that we should be
>> wary of? Control over Usenet cancelbots?
>>
>> FEAR THE TR WEBMASTER CABAL!
>
> One day I shall be a webmaster. Then I'll show you all!!
>
> Bwahahaha!
>
> BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
>
> BWAHAHAHAHAHA<cough>HAHAHA<coughcough>HAHAHAHA!
>

>> - AG
>
> Duncan
> Twirling handle bar mustache and flourishing cape in a demonic
> fashion.

Heh! You saw LoEG too huh? Got the mask?
McG.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 9:26:07 AM

Shehi wrote:

> You right, I came here to let people know that we have contest, in
> times when Tomb Raider world is too quiet, where there is no news and
> excitement. Instead of suggestions and support, people started to
> question the quality of my site and flood me with nowhere-leading
> critics. Just wanted to say that we changed those rules, to satisfy
> your needs, but I see, there was no need. :(  I will recommend our
> Judges team to switch back to the old rules asap.

Rather mercurial of you...but hey, it's your call. < Slides stories
back into desk >

--
rolobeastie@earthlink.net
'We come in peace...shoot to kill! Shoot ot kill! Shoot to kill!' - Star

Archived from groups: alt.fan.lara-croft,alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

> Thunderchief wrote:
>> There I was, minding my own business, when Arthur Green said...

>>> I'm trying to figure out how much of a threat these TR webmasters
>>> actually are. Have they some kind of mystical power that we should
>>> be wary of? Control over Usenet cancelbots?
>>>
>>> FEAR THE TR WEBMASTER CABAL!
>>
>> One day I shall be a webmaster. Then I'll show you all!!
>>
>> Bwahahaha!
>>
>> BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
>>
>> BWAHAHAHAHAHA<cough>HAHAHA<coughcough>HAHAHAHA!
>>

>>> - AG
>>
>> Duncan
>> Twirling handle bar mustache and flourishing cape in a demonic
>> fashion.
>
> Heh! You saw LoEG too huh? Got the mask?
> McG.

I...I....don't know what came over me?!?!? ;-)
Duncan
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:38:17 AM

bbocquin wrote:
> A very sad moment for AFL-C...it used to be a place where everyone was nice
> and did *not* indulge in mean spirited humor at someone else's expense.

yep, I thought it a bit boring too, glad it's over:-)

> It's probably hurtful to Shehi, and you cannot justify knowingly and
> willfully being hurtful for any reason that I can think of-- especially
> something as inconsequential as a writing contest based on a computer game!
> :)
>
> <another complete digression again>
>
> Know anything about DSL software?
>
> Can't figure out why SBC/Yahoo wouldn't "see" new posts at AFL-C. I mean
> the newsgroup is there from my old dial-up account, so maybe it's something
> to do with new software & its settings?
>
> It would be the same news-server correct?

that is set somewhere in your newsgroupper which seems to be outlook
express (according to headers). I haven't used it for ages but you
should be able to find it somewhere in the menus. You can also try the
SBC help, they should be able to tell you how to set up newsgroups (in
window, using outlook).

or try mozilla mail/newsgroup client and go to Edit|Mail&Newsgroup
Account Settings... SBC help should be able to tell you which newsgroup
server to use (news.prodigy.com?).

erik
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 6:43:33 AM

"Shehi" wrote

> Thanks bbocquin,
>
> You right, I came here to let people know that we have contest, in
> times when Tomb Raider world is too quiet, where there is no news and
> excitement. Instead of suggestions and support, people started to
> question the quality of my site and flood me with nowhere-leading
> critics. Just wanted to say that we changed those rules, to satisfy
> your needs, but I see, there was no need. :(  I will recommend our
> Judges team to switch back to the old rules asap.

Ohmigod! Almost scared to peek back in, but thankfully it doesn't look so
flamie anymore-- well maybe with one-- make that three regrettable
exception(s).

I wouldn't change the rules back, but well...

Still having to google to see anything over at AFL-C.

Shouldn't have done that... :(

Not very friendly over there for AGT's "best and brightest".

Ha ha! That's a fun jab from back in July when the flame wars here at AGT
concerning AoD made quite a few people move over to AFL-C to get away from
all the nastiness. Now it looks as though some of those same people are
having quite a few laughs at your expense.

Very regrettable... :(

So if you *do* change the rules back-- can't say as I'd blame you, but
hopefully you'll reconsider. Not all of us are mean spirited and nasty! :)

Here's another quick thought too fwiw...

Do you have age categories? Was thinking that might be a good idea. Having
say, a 13 year old, go up against adults who might have had university
course-work in composition-- well that's sort of like me trying to play
basketball "one on one" with Tim Duncan. (Timmy's a pro basketball player
in San Antonio where I live)

Anyway just a thought. :)

> Thanks all for "support"!
>
> Two notices (not for you bbocquin, it is general reply):
> 1. I am male,
> 2. Links on the left of my site are in-site navigation links, not
> remote links. I think it was confused, my site is at: trcomm.net. We
> are holding contest on my partner site, tombraidergirl.com. Again
> thanks!

Yes, I'd dare say some people might not understand the difference between an
intra-site short cut and an external url, but I know very little about
web-page authoring-- still using an antiquated version of Adobe Front Page
circa 1999... ;-D

> HAPPY RAIDING!

Yes, good luck with your site and the contest. Hopefully you'll still post
here occasionally when this "tempest in a tea pot" has blown over. :)

Saloot-tay

--Bruce
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 6:45:13 AM

> Shehi wrote:
>
> > You right, I came here to let people know that we have contest, in
> > times when Tomb Raider world is too quiet, where there is no news and
> > excitement. Instead of suggestions and support, people started to
> > question the quality of my site and flood me with nowhere-leading
> > critics. Just wanted to say that we changed those rules, to satisfy
> > your needs, but I see, there was no need. :(  I will recommend our
> > Judges team to switch back to the old rules asap.
>
> Rather mercurial of you...but hey, it's your call. < Slides stories
> back into desk >

Yes, hopefully he won't let others-- who don't even write to my knowledge
and thus have no real stake in the issue-- well hopefully he won't let all
the nastiness get to him. Otherwise the meanies would've won and that would
be a shame for you and Arthur.

By the way...how long do you think it would take to brain-storm a plot
outline, and fire off a little 2000 word vignette? Maybe six hours tops
right?

We could always come up with something new if really motivated... ;)

But for me...

Well...

(To be Continued...) :-D

> --
> rolobeastie@earthlink.net
> 'We come in peace...shoot to kill! Shoot ot kill! Shoot to kill!' - Star
> Trekkin' < filk song >
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 9:22:49 AM

"bbocquin" <SirTalksAlot@chatteringnuns.com> wrote in message news:<v9hQc.265$zd4.32@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>...
> He posted his contest not knowing about AFL-C and how popular GS is...
>
> So then people started in on him-- very subtle at first.
>
> And he was probably like: "Uh...OK...well I just change it then."
>
> But unfortunately a flame war is sort of like a feeding frenzy and other
> people-- not yourself-- started smelling blood in the water, and it began to
> get nastier.
>
> Shehi was probably like: "WTF? These people certainly are sensitive! OK
> I'll modify it to 'professional' and that should solve the problem."
>
> Very good, but sadly-- by this time-- more blood in the water brought out
> the worst in people and he had a full fledged flaming frenzy on his hands
> which I think is very sad.
>
> That's probably why he decided "well screw this. If they're just going to
> make fun of me at AFL-C then why even bother with it."
>
> Can't say as I blame him really.
>
> AGT's "best and brightest" indeed!
>
> Reads more like AGT's "elitist and worst" under Ms-T's ill advised cross
> post. I'm sure Treva had the best of intentions, but look how it turned
> out.
>
> A very sad moment for AFL-C...it used to be a place where everyone was nice
> and did *not* indulge in mean spirited humor at someone else's expense.
>
> It's probably hurtful to Shehi, and you cannot justify knowingly and
> willfully being hurtful for any reason that I can think of-- especially
> something as inconsequential as a writing contest based on a computer game!
> :)

Hi Bruce,

No I know AGT and AFL-C well enough. But I am sure many things changed
here in past 2 years. :(

By "professional work", I meant that we don't want those old
professional fictions by ostercy, Tim Radley etc. If those good old
stories are submitted, new contestants, young writers won't have any
chance in competition against those classics... That is it :)  There is
no need to drive varying meanings from this word.

HAPPY RAIDING!

Shehi
TRComm Webmaster
http://www.trcomm.net
http://www.tombraidercommunity.com
http://www.pcgamesdb.com/tombraider
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:50:25 PM

"bbocquin" <SirTalksAlot@chatteringnuns.com> wrote in message

><snip>
>
> See I find that amazing. I guess just didn't read it that way. To me, he
> just came here, said his spiel, and inadvertently walked into a hornet's
> nest! Poor bastard-- if he's not into use-net then he'd have had no idea
> what he was in for!

You didn't read it that way because you didn't do your homework so no one
needs to be defensive here-Andy (who *is* a writer) was treated in the most
appalling manner on their forums despite asking valid questions in a
civilised manner.

No-one worth their salt was going to see either Andy LJ or Arthur shafted by
some pompous little brat who appeared not even to know what a blog was.They
were given many opportunities to stand still and *listen*.

I don't say I agree with all McG said including the S words- but then I
don't care to open up a post and see *you* type the F word either - we
agreed long ago that it was strictly verboten.

Dungeonbunny
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 5:54:18 PM

"Gary Mitchell" wrote

<snip right to the point. Do not pass go and do not collect $200>

> > Many moons ago Snark^ suggested a very good newsreader that I had
installed
> > for a while, but when I put a new HD in, I forgot what program it was.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Would appreciate the help
>
> Maybe it was Free Agent?
>
> -- G

Ding ding ding!

Yes, I think that might've been the one. Very useful in how it allowed you
to keep track of things. Tomorrow I'll try calling tech support-- hey get
this!-- SBC's call centers are right here in Texas because the communication
workers went on strike and the fat-cats had to back down.

Anyway sorry that I'm chattering. I'm really in a rush to be off to the
library.

Thanks for the tip.

Oh, and thanks for the word of support from way up above. I almost
overlooked it. I'll be sure to post story at AFL-C when the snafu is worked
out and...

....provided of course I finish it.

(to be continued) ;-D

I'll also try to type more thoughtful replies to everyone else who replied
later this evening.

Or...

Well maybe not

Lets just allow this unpleasant thread to die out...

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply though! :)

--Bruce
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:17:12 AM

bbocquin wrote:
> So everyone's in then.
>
> Yay!
>
> No more bickering!
>
> I hate bickering-- it makes for boring reading as Erik pointed out.

actually the 'it' in my post (as it was heading out of here) referred
to everybody being nice being boring:-) Not sure what happened along the
way... These words are sometime just too hard-headed to mean what they
were ordered to...

on the other hand: I agree that flamewar (even the lukewarm one like
this) gets boring after few messages after which everybody just rehashes
the args over and over and over...

> That and it's a downer.
>
> Anyway, I'll be finished with summer term today-- why study for the final
> when I can be wasting time typing on use-net? ;-D
>
> So I'll have three weeks off to maybe tinker with that annoying damned
> stupid story I was playing around with two years ago.
>
> (I have a love hate-- mainly hate-- relationship with my writing.)
>
> Wondering though if there's a place at one of your sites that I might post
> the opening gambit to see if anyone is even interested in the idea.

I was just wondering - what about the copyright? Shehi never
responded to that one... I understand that he (they?) wants new stories,
that makes sense but if it's all informal and nobody knows you've
written the story because it's not published anywhere... I mean do you
have to send it registered mail to your lawyer or something?

erik
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 12:00:40 PM

Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<10h61i987ore0a4@corp.supernews.com>...
> I was just wondering - what about the copyright? Shehi never
> responded to that one... I understand that he (they?) wants new stories,
> that makes sense but if it's all informal and nobody knows you've
> written the story because it's not published anywhere... I mean do you
> have to send it registered mail to your lawyer or something?
>
> erik

What you mean by "copyright"?

Shehi
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 6:55:29 PM

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net

> Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> I was just wondering - what about the copyright? Shehi never
>> responded to that one... I understand that he (they?) wants new stories,
>> that makes sense but if it's all informal and nobody knows you've
>> written the story because it's not published anywhere... I mean do you
>> have to send it registered mail to your lawyer or something?
>>
>> erik
>
> What you mean by "copyright"?
>
> Shehi

If someone doesn't know, or lets on like they don't know, what copyright
means, and they solicit original work from someone, you better believe I
would stay as far away from them as possible.

Mean Marine
"lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way".
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 10:56:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider,alt.fan.lara-croft (More info?)

[Cross posted to alt.fan.lara-croft]

In article <FuQQc.5087$Nd7.3708@fe39.usenetserver.com>,
"Mean Marine" <pminnick@rbnet.com> wrote:

> "Shehi" <shehriyari@trcomm.net> wrote in message
> > Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> >> I was just wondering - what about the copyright? Shehi never
> >> responded to that one...

> > What you mean by "copyright"?

> If someone doesn't know, or lets on like they don't know, what copyright
> means, and they solicit original work from someone, you better believe I
> would stay as far away from them as possible.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but anyone who writes fan fiction of any
sort and lives in the US (Land of "Only the Rich are truly free") really
needs to know about copyright/ownership issues.

For an understanding of how copyrights mostly work start here:
(Pay special attention to point 6)

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

For issues specific to fan fiction see this:

http://chillingeffects.org/fanfic/faq.cgi

-Andy-

--
see2go4me@yahoo.com
http://radio.weblogs.com/0104508/

-Andy- wrote:
> [Cross posted to alt.fan.lara-croft]
>
> In article <FuQQc.5087$Nd7.3708@fe39.usenetserver.com>,
> "Mean Marine" <pminnick@rbnet.com> wrote:
>
>> "Shehi" <shehriyari@trcomm.net> wrote in message
>>> Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>
>>> What you mean by "copyright"?
>
>> If someone doesn't know, or lets on like they don't know, what
>> copyright means, and they solicit original work from someone, you
>> better believe I would stay as far away from them as possible.
>
> Not to rain on anyone's parade but anyone who writes fan fiction of
> any sort and lives in the US (Land of "Only the Rich are truly free")
> really needs to know about copyright/ownership issues.
>
> For an understanding of how copyrights mostly work start here:
> (Pay special attention to point 6)
>
> http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
>
> For issues specific to fan fiction see this:
>
> http://chillingeffects.org/fanfic/faq.cgi
>
> -Andy-
>
> --
> see2go4me@yahoo.com
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0104508/

Good stuff Andy, thanks for the heads up :)
McG.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 6:39:12 AM

In article <6b4b3e0b.0408060700.9f428ab@posting.google.com>,
shehriyari@trcomm.net (Shehi) writes:

>Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> I was just wondering - what about the copyright? Shehi never
>> responded to that one... I understand that he (they?) wants new stories,
>> that makes sense but if it's all informal and nobody knows you've
>> written the story because it's not published anywhere... I mean do you
>> have to send it registered mail to your lawyer or something?
>>
>> erik
>
>What you mean by "copyright"?
>
>Shehi

To my knowledge, EIDOS owns all the rights to the Tomb Raider game and all that
results from that effort, including the Lara Croft character. If someone were
to officially attempt to write, publish and then make money off a story based
on this, EIDOS can sue the living daylights out of you for copyright
infringement.

See "Paramount Pictures" for the way they dealt with "Star Trek" fiction. It
wasn't a pretty sight.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 6:39:13 AM

But who said that we are earning money from this? I already said that
we are non-profit, fan-supported web site... So there is nothing to
worry about :)

Shehi

pkieferjr@aol.com (Paul E Kiefer Jr) wrote in message news:<20040806223912.10083.00000162@mb-m11.aol.com>...
> In article <6b4b3e0b.0408060700.9f428ab@posting.google.com>,
> shehriyari@trcomm.net (Shehi) writes:
>
> >Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> >> I was just wondering - what about the copyright? Shehi never
> >> responded to that one... I understand that he (they?) wants new stories,
> >> that makes sense but if it's all informal and nobody knows you've
> >> written the story because it's not published anywhere... I mean do you
> >> have to send it registered mail to your lawyer or something?
> >>
> >> erik
> >
> >What you mean by "copyright"?
> >
> >Shehi
> >

> To my knowledge, EIDOS owns all the rights to the Tomb Raider game and all that
> results from that effort, including the Lara Croft character. If someone were
> to officially attempt to write, publish and then make money off a story based
> on this, EIDOS can sue the living daylights out of you for copyright
> infringement.
>
> See "Paramount Pictures" for the way they dealt with "Star Trek" fiction. It
> wasn't a pretty sight.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 6:40:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider,alt.fan.lara-croft (More info?)

OMG people! What are you talking about?! I am not asking you to teach
me what copyright/patent is?! I just wondered what is the relation of
it with our topic? We are not violating any laws here, its just
contest held by fan sites, which are already recognized by Eidos. We
value our relations with Eidos, and we are non-profit web sites. We
make it for fun, as a hobby, not to earn our life. And all donations
goes to expenses, as in all non-profit, fan communities.

I also recommend you to check our Copyright/Disclaimer and ToS/Notices
at:

http://www.pcgamesdb.com/tombraider/legal_disclaimer.ph...

http://www.pcgamesdb.com/tombraider/legal_tos.php

before posting anything in our web site/forums. Thanks!

HAPPY RAIDING!

Shehi

-Andy- <see2go4me@spamworm.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<see2go4me-29A303.18565906082004@news-east.dca.giganews.com>...
> [Cross posted to alt.fan.lara-croft]
>
> In article <FuQQc.5087$Nd7.3708@fe39.usenetserver.com>,
> "Mean Marine" <pminnick@rbnet.com> wrote:
>
> > "Shehi" <shehriyari@trcomm.net> wrote in message
> > > Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>
> > > What you mean by "copyright"?
>
> > If someone doesn't know, or lets on like they don't know, what copyright
> > means, and they solicit original work from someone, you better believe I
> > would stay as far away from them as possible.
>
> Not to rain on anyone's parade but anyone who writes fan fiction of any
> sort and lives in the US (Land of "Only the Rich are truly free") really
> needs to know about copyright/ownership issues.
>
> For an understanding of how copyrights mostly work start here:
> (Pay special attention to point 6)
>
> http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
>
> For issues specific to fan fiction see this:
>
> http://chillingeffects.org/fanfic/faq.cgi
>
> -Andy-
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 7:21:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider,alt.fan.lara-croft (More info?)

Hey Andy, I just wanted to thank for the references you gave... They
really were useful :)  Thanks!

HAPPY RAIDING!

Shehi

-Andy- <see2go4me@spamworm.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<see2go4me-29A303.18565906082004@news-east.dca.giganews.com>...
> [Cross posted to alt.fan.lara-croft]
>
> In article <FuQQc.5087$Nd7.3708@fe39.usenetserver.com>,
> "Mean Marine" <pminnick@rbnet.com> wrote:
>
> > "Shehi" <shehriyari@trcomm.net> wrote in message
> > > Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>
> > > What you mean by "copyright"?
>
> > If someone doesn't know, or lets on like they don't know, what copyright
> > means, and they solicit original work from someone, you better believe I
> > would stay as far away from them as possible.
>
> Not to rain on anyone's parade but anyone who writes fan fiction of any
> sort and lives in the US (Land of "Only the Rich are truly free") really
> needs to know about copyright/ownership issues.
>
> For an understanding of how copyrights mostly work start here:
> (Pay special attention to point 6)
>
> http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
>
> For issues specific to fan fiction see this:
>
> http://chillingeffects.org/fanfic/faq.cgi
>
> -Andy-
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 9:08:12 AM

Shehi wrote:
> Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<10h61i987ore0a4@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>I was just wondering - what about the copyright? Shehi never
>>responded to that one... I understand that he (they?) wants new stories,
>>that makes sense but if it's all informal and nobody knows you've
>>written the story because it's not published anywhere... I mean do you
>>have to send it registered mail to your lawyer or something?
>>
>> erik
>

> What you mean by "copyright"?

in most countries copyright is automatic, no need to register
anything etc. (well, at least the countries I know about, I am not a
lawyer). But you still have to prove authotship (only author has copyright)

if they submit previously unpublished stories than they have no easy
way to prove it they wrote it first... Unlike when they post it on the
web and/or to newsgroups...

I am not saying/implying you have any bad intentions, it's just
something to think about (both for people who organize a competition and
authors of submitted stories/artworks).

erik
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:58:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider,alt.fan.lara-croft (More info?)

"-Andy-" <see2go4me@spamworm.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [Cross posted to alt.fan.lara-croft]
>
> In article <FuQQc.5087$Nd7.3708@fe39.usenetserver.com>,
> "Mean Marine" <pminnick@rbnet.com> wrote:
>
> > "Shehi" <shehriyari@trcomm.net> wrote in message
> > > Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>
> > > What you mean by "copyright"?
>
> > If someone doesn't know, or lets on like they don't know, what copyright
> > means, and they solicit original work from someone, you better believe I
> > would stay as far away from them as possible.
>
> Not to rain on anyone's parade but anyone who writes fan fiction of any
> sort and lives in the US (Land of "Only the Rich are truly free") really
> needs to know about copyright/ownership issues.
>
> For an understanding of how copyrights mostly work start here:
> (Pay special attention to point 6)
>
> http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
>
> For issues specific to fan fiction see this:
>
> http://chillingeffects.org/fanfic/faq.cgi
>
> -Andy-
>
> --
> see2go4me@yahoo.com
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0104508/

This post came with perfect timing for me Andy- thanks. :)  I have been asked
to produce a portfolio of my card designs as real samples (they had seen
scans) and was thinking hmmm what's to stop this business just reproducing
them somewhere else?

Having checked it out though- each design will cost £65 in the UK to
copyright :/  Yikes!Not sure where to go from here.other than the bankruptcy
court ..............;)

DB
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 9:21:49 AM

Of course, you are right Erik. But you know, writers in our contests
usually put copyright lines at the beginning of their stories,
alongside with Eidos-Core copyright lines. We check the stories in
network of our partner-affiliate sites, see if they are plagiarism or
not. Mainly we try to check it on fanfiction.net too. So big fan sites
like planetlara.com, tombraidergirl.com etc plus our own fan fiction
library plus fanfiction.net is our primary sources for research of
plagiarism. We do not check any other web site, as all we care about
is TR community. You would justify me in this, coz it is really hard
to check whole net for stories which were submitted.

And I also want to emphasize that protecting copyright of stories is
not our job, but of authors'. There have been many occurances when
works of some fans were stolen by others - I have seen many arguments
regarding this in forums and mailing lists. Its hard-to-bear and
-solve situation, that is why I will try to keep out of such
situations as much as possible.

Respect,

Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<10h9hhf9mvhr21f@corp.supernews.com>...
> Shehi wrote:
> > Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<10h61i987ore0a4@corp.supernews.com>...
> >
> >>I was just wondering - what about the copyright? Shehi never
> >>responded to that one... I understand that he (they?) wants new stories,
> >>that makes sense but if it's all informal and nobody knows you've
> >>written the story because it's not published anywhere... I mean do you
> >>have to send it registered mail to your lawyer or something?
> >>
> >> erik
> >

> > What you mean by "copyright"?
>
> in most countries copyright is automatic, no need to register
> anything etc. (well, at least the countries I know about, I am not a
> lawyer). But you still have to prove authotship (only author has copyright)
>
> if they submit previously unpublished stories than they have no easy
> way to prove it they wrote it first... Unlike when they post it on the
> web and/or to newsgroups...
>
> I am not saying/implying you have any bad intentions, it's just
> something to think about (both for people who organize a competition and
> authors of submitted stories/artworks).
>
> erik
Anonymous
March 4, 2009 6:39:31 AM

I've never written professionally despite what it says in this thread. :)
Ostercy
(http://www.tokakeriby.co.uk)
March 11, 2009 9:31:19 AM

Who won this competition? Is there a link to a page?
!