Connected to Internet but not

5uperMario

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
um, hello again.

I have a problem that is really p***ing me off.

I have three computers, each basically the same specs, OS, ect...

Two are laptops, one is a desktop.

Now, I decided to get internet awhile ago, and add a wireless router to it, cuase at the time the two laptops would be going online only.
I wanted to backup my one laptop to I used the enternet cord to the laptop to the desktop and got it working to backup all my files to the desktop.

Now suddesn;y that way doesn't work anymore.
I have no idea why.

Ok, so since laptops can't upgrade their grapich cards, and Im a huge pc gamer, I thought I'd just buy a new card for my desktop and play that way.
So I moved the modeom and router close enough so my desktop can connect to one of the routers pc ports.

It currently looks like this:

untitled02.png

Ok the the cable is connected to the modem, which is connected to the router.
The router is connected to the desktop using the one of 4 pc slots

Yet, this doesn't work...:(

Ok when my laptop connects to the router wirelessly, it works.
When I connect it via cord, it works

But my desktop says its connected, both router and internet, but won't go online.
Even when I bring up the routers page, it says failed to connect.

In the Connect To, it says the router but keeps saying "PPPoE Connection" which I have no clue what is.

Also, I resetted the router and tried again
Still, the computer says its connected, but the strange thing is that it says the old name before the reset

Now, every time I try to go online, the browser stops and a window pops up with username and password field.
I type in the admin, the wireless passphase, nothing
WAN Miniport it says connecting

Then I get a error:
Error 815

I tried uninstalling the network card and reinstalling, nothing.

The set up wireless router or access point still pops up the box with username and password
Nothing else works, and I really want to get online.

Some extra specs:
All computers running Windows Vista
Desktop has NVIDEA network card thingy
Using a linksys Router
Comcast Modem

I tried with password wireless and non-password.

Please, if anyone can help it'd be a great help to me.
Thank you.

On the desktop having connection problems, go to Start->Run, type "cmd" (no quotes), and hit enter. In the command window, type "ipconfig > temp.txt" (no quotes) and post the file's contents here.

5uperMario

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Hey thanks for the reply.

ipconfig > temp.txt brings up nothing but another command input...
Did I do something wrong?

It should have written the output of ipconfig to a file named temp.txt, it didn't?

No matter, the file was merely a convenience for you, just run ipconfig and report the results.

5uperMario

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
This is what I get:

Ethernet adaptor Local Area Connection:

Connection-Specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.il.comcast.net.
Link-Local IPv6 Address ..... : fe80::6551:80b7:3e1a:9f4%10
IPv4 Address ............ : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask ......... : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway ........ : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
Media State ......... : Media disconnected
Connection-specifi DNS Suffix . : hsd1.il.comcast.net.

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:
Connection-specfic DNS suffix . :
IPv6 Address .........: 2001:0:4137:9e74:3c9a:93c:3f57:fe9b
Link-local IPv6 Address ...... : fe80::3c9a:93c:3f57:fe9b%11
Default Gateway ...... : ::

That is all that is displayed

5uperMario

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Update:

I kept playing around with it and found out how to delete the old internet profile thingy I had. So now when I connected the internet it auto-configured.

It still says its online, yet when I try to go to the routers page or google.com, it doesn't load.

Also, its obvlsuy connected, cause:
1.) Computer downloaded and installed some HP updates
2.) Installed some Windows Updates which were successful
3.) Going to network I can see my laptop connected to the router

But, like I said, I can't go online, or playing a game and connecting online doesn't work.

I have no clue why still ...:(

I want to go back to some of your initial comments because something doesn't add up here and may be related to your problem.

You mentioned you're using a Comcast modem, iow, cable. And then mentioned the following:

In the Connect To, it says the router but keeps saying "PPPoE Connection" which I have no clue what is.

Also, I resetted the router and tried again
Still, the computer says its connected, but the strange thing is that it says the old name before the reset

Now, every time I try to go online, the browser stops and a window pops up with username and password field.
I type in the admin, the wireless passphase, nothing
WAN Miniport it says connecting

Then I get a error:
Error 815

PPPoE is generally how you connect to DSL, not cable. And some DSL providers require a username/password for PPPoE as well. But for cable, the connection type is typically plain ol’ DHCP, not PPPoE.

Did you previously have DSL and use it w/ this router, then move to cable? Otherwise I have no idea why that router would be configured as such, certainly not by default.

You mentioned that you had tried resetting the router. But I wonder if you only rebooted it. Most reset buttons will only reboot the router if held for a few seconds, and must be held for about 30 secs to reset the router back to factory defaults. And factory defaults almost always properly configure any router for cable (DHCP).

So that's what I want you to do. A factory reset by holding the reset button for 30 secs (while powered on, of course) and then reboot all your computers and try again.

5uperMario

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
No I completely reset the router, wheres I needed to reput the passwords ect... and name the router again

The PPPoE thingy was confusing to me. How I got that was going to Connect To and manually adding it. Since it was the only option I used it.

But now I know thats not it. I completely removed all previous connections profiles.
replugged in the router and it auto-connected to the web (or says so in the corner)

Thanks

Computer connected to internet but isn't...
It won't connect to the routers page but can download updates and see whos connected wirelessly to the router 0.o

I'll reset the router again and computer but I'm afraid it still won't help :(

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
If Vista says it's "online with internet access" then it usually is. Further, your laptops can connect both wired and wirelessly... so that does a lot to lessen the likelyhood of it having anything to do with your router... so stop messing with it.

Have you verified you don't have a proxy set within Internet Explorer? Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings -> UNCHECK ALL BOXES HERE

If it's still not working, go back to the command prompt and type "ping yahoo.com". Note any messages that come back. If you see "Reply from..." (4 of them) then your system is configured properly to connect. (ie... it rules out DNS, Subnet mask, and default gateway in one big shot, meaning you have an application problem (like the proxy configured, weird application based firewall or something)

If your ping says something about the "host not found" then it wasn't able to resolve the name of yahoo.com to an IP address... meaning DNS isn't resolving. So try running "ping 72.30.2.43" instead. If this yeilds replies then your issue is solely with DNS. If you still don't get anything back then post the output from the ping command back here.

If you've narrowed it down to a DNS problem, you can try manually configuring your DNS. Start -> Control Panel -> Network(whatever it's called) -> Manage Connections (or something like that, don't have a windows PC handy) -> Right click on the connection, properties, TCP/IP (v4), Set it to manually use a specific DNS server... 8.8.8.8 (Google public DNS). Ok / save settings and see what you got...

Let us know what you find after going through the above...

5uperMario

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, I use Vista

Well I tried with both IE8 and Firefox 3 and niether seem to connect to the internet. And proxy settings are off in Firefox.

I get the following when pinging yahoo:

Pinging yahoo.com [209.131.36.159] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 209.131.36.159: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=51
Reply from 209.131.36.159: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 209.131.36.159:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>,
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 80ms, Maximum = 81ms, Average = 80ms

I tried the DNS however and still yield no results.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
You've got <something> weird going on within the application side of the house. The computer IS connected to the internet, make no mistake. Download Safari or Chrome and see if it works... do you have any firewall apps installed?

5uperMario

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I got Chrome and it still doesn't connect.

Besides Windows Firewall, not that I can think of.
Its pretty much a new computer except for the games I've installed.
I tried disabling Windows Firewall and it doesn't have an effect.

Also, I don't know if it matters but I use to have dial-up internet on it, netzero

Go to Network Connections->Advanced->Advanced Settings->Connections. You'll see all your network adapters listed there. If there's more than one, make sure the LAN connection is listed first. Then reboot. Try again.

I'm out of ideas. All I can suggest is letting someone in there w/ RDP, LogMeIn, or similar remote access tool, to take a better look (assuming it's even possible to get connected). Sometimes a problem comes along that’s not going to be solved by continually guessing. Or else find a local computer expert.

5uperMario

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
This is really making me mad.
I uninstalled almost every game, program, thing I had on it.
I went from 19GB left to 72GB out of 130GB HDD

I am about ready to just format the HDD and reinstall the OS...
That might fix the problem.

Thanks eibgrad and Brian_TII for the suggestions

If anyone else has last minute help, please post.
The only option I have left now is to backup the drivers and reinstall the OS

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Unless there is something doing port filtering on the router, I'd recommend reinstalling the OS. There is SOMETHING weird going on there... maybe a virus / malware. You've ruled out all the common problems you'll see:

1) DNS - you can resolve IP addresses, this shows you're able to communicate over IP and UDP to at least the DNS server

2) You don't have a routing problem, you're able to get ICMP (ping) replies from public servers. This indicates that your computer is able to both communicate to your gateway and your gateway is able to talk back.

3) Your browser doesn't seem to have any proxies setup which would typically cause this type problem.

4) You have tried both statically assigned and dynamically assigned IP addresses... I'm assuming you didn't set them the same. This makes the chances that there is a rule in the fw that blocks YOU specifically on tcp/80, but none of the other IP's much less likely. And I really doubt your firewall would allow protocol / port filtering by MAC address.

5) You don't have any programs installed (that you are aware of) that would do application specific filter / blocking on your desktop.

Given the above... unless you have something really weird in your firewall... I'd just re-format / reinstall the OS. Malware is known to do this kinda weirdness... and you've ruled out 99% of the common "normal networking" situations that would cause it.

Good luck and keep us updated.

5uperMario

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Alright.

I reinstalled the OS.
I connected the router and everything seems to be working.
Downloaded Firefox, browsed my website.
Everything seems to be working.

I don't know what the problem was. :(
I un-installed all the games, every program. I had an anti-virus when I did have dial-up.

But I am glad it wasn't the network card thingy.

Thanks for the help. Wish it weren't for the extremes but sometimes reinstalling the OS is the best choice.

-John

jac428

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Hi I would just like to add some things to this post after having the same problem and not reaching a way to fix it without reinstalling the OS. I have experienced this problem twice now in the last 2 weeks and would really not like to have it happen a third time.

I am inclined to think it is a virus that made it past Nod32 on the back of a torrent I downloaded. But it wont show up on any scans. The closest I have had to determining what is going on is when closing the browser it crashes and it tells me the browser encountered an error and that the DNS had something to do with it. But I have no idea what it is that the DNS shut down. But I may be heading in the wrong direction with that anyway.

I had tried to do system recovery to the earliest dates with no success either, the last thing the computer had done that I noticed before the problem (second time round anyway) was it had installed an auto update to Windows Defender but closing WD did not resolve the issue either.

My other thought is that one of the automatic updates is conflicting with something but wouyldnt know where to look.
Another point is I did not do a clean install of my OS the first time.
Im hopiing someone will have an idea on this so i can avoid a 3rd occurence.

Babe007

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Hi :),
I had the same problem for weeks going crazy, my friends tryed to fix it in many ways but no succes, but today I had luck, I have updated the triber and there is a connection straight away on both pcs :) :), maybe you can try too ;).
I habe a german pc, but to do it in english I think you have to doble click on your connection in internet options, than properties, trieber and triber automatic update. It will take time to update and you should have a internet connection.
hope it works for you too :)!
greetings from germany!
Lahorka :)