Athlon II X4 635 Compatible DDR3 speeds

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • DDR3
  • Compatibility
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
July 26, 2010 11:42:17 PM

This question is about the DDR3 memory I have already purchased for my motherboard. Alright guys, I am stumpted. I am building my second computer and I am almost finished. The specs are a bit odd so bare with me.

MSI 790FX-GD70
Athlon II X4 635 or Phenom II X4 955
OCZ3R1600 which is PC3 12800 @ 7-7-7 @ 1.65v
Corsair HX750
XFX 5850 x 2
Spinpoint F3 500 in RAID Array
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Corsair H50 ( compact water cooling )
Storm Sniper case

Now the only choice I have left to make is the CPU. My budget is blown and I have to stop the bleeding. I want the Athlon II X4 635
but I am concerned about the high speed RAM I have being an issue seeing that the Athlon II X4 635 supports 1333 RAM speed tops. Will my RAM downclock itself and work perfectly or will there be some kind of bottlenecking issue? Also will my 5850's suffer from the Athlon II X4 635 CPU performance wise? Please help me out....

More about : athlon 635 compatible ddr3 speeds

a b à CPUs
July 27, 2010 12:01:58 AM

Well, You've got an impressive build there, to say one thing. Firstly, I don't think the Dual 5850s will be bottlenecked by an Athlon II x4, and this article should really back that up.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3-440-ga...

Comparing a slower triple core Athlon against the might i7-920, it gave more than enough power to drive two 5870s in crossfire. When you throw in the additional fourth core and reduce the graphics power to two 5850s (Still smoking fast), you should have a good combination. The only thing I can think of where having the Athlon II x4 would hurt you is in productivity.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I really have no idea whether or not that's faster than an Athlon II x4... I'm assuming it is with the extra Cache memory and the simple fact that it's a Deneb PII x4. You'll have to have someone else confirm that, though. It is only $40 more, so if your 'bleeding' budget can afford it, it would give a decent boost in performance, plus the added reassurance that it can handle the memory speeds you're running at. I'm certainly no memory expert, though, and my good old 9-9-9-Twenty something DDR3-1333 memory should really back that statement up. You'll have to ask someone else about whether or not it can handle it to be sure. Sorry. :D 

Any thoughts on the PII x4 925? Still overbudget? It would provide a bit more power to be on the safer side of running your memory at that speed...
m
l
July 27, 2010 12:42:24 AM

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you so much for your prompt response. I will review those links this evening and I am sure they will be helpful. I know it seems silly to spend as much cheese as I did and then complain about a difference of $60. What it boils down to I am afraid will be opinion. That seems to be the conlusion most often decided upon. I bought these parts totally out of wack. Luckily, it is shaping up to be a solid machine. Once again, thank you so much!! I will let you know what I find out! Also, it might be the wrong place to ask but I have always wanted to post threads on this site that state my computer specs down at the bottom. Thats so shallow.... I need to learn how to do that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2010 1:01:16 AM

No problem. That's what we're here for. I'm glad to have been able to help. :D 

And I'm honestly trying to figure out how to put my specs at the bottom, too... I'd have thought that their signatures in the profile options would do it, but I haven't seen mine since about two years ago... hmm...

I wouldn't really say that your machine is out of wack compared to mine, actually... I've got a $180 motherboard with a PII x4 965 mainly for gaming and such, but failed to realize that a single Radeon 5770 isn't exactly a powerhouse of a graphics card. Like yours, though, I'm sure I can grab a second some time and really shape this machine back up. :) 
I'd say you're doing quite well... most people (like me) really neglect their graphics while focusing on the motherboard and processor. With those 5850s, though, that thing has enough power to run any game ever made... probably two instances of it, too. :D 
m
l
!