Question on buying recalled Sandy Bridge MoBo

gogamer2007

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
I have been using a (now ancient) p4 gaming computer for 6 years and have waited way too long to build a new one. Anyways I have been planning since last year on building one when sandy bridge comes and have been saving eversince too this day, and now have my $2,000 to custom build my new gaming computer. Only problem is.... I found out Sandy Bridge MoBo's are recalled (no Sandy Bridge MoBo = no Sandy Bridge CPU) and they won't be available till April. I read were the problem is the SATA II ports or 3.0GBs. Anyways I won't be using those as I plan on getting one SATA III 6.0 GBs hard drive (may add another one later and RAID 0 it) and one blu-ray writer. My question is, since the faulty port won't really affect and I really can't wait till April (been waiting to long and finally got the funds and really would like to buy it before wifey uses it) were can I buy the MoBo and CPU at? (I'm getting a ASUS Maximus IV extreme and Intel Core i7 2600k, but newegg has them unavailable) and when they do finally replace the MoBo, will I be able to exchange the MoBo (not that it matters, but if the will, I don't see why it would hurt to do that even though I will probable end up never using those ports.)

Thanks in advance :)

xinpig

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
what kind of graphics cards are you going to get? you possibly could save money by not getting such a high end mobo and/or get a 2500k, as Hyperthreading does nothing for games, and put that extra 100 towards something else.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Most of the these people crying about this issue are chicken littles.

It is the SATA 3 ports that are the issue, not all chipsets are affected either and may show up over time. Yes the mb manufacturer will replace it for you down the road - Intel is paying them.

Many of these same people use poor quality PSU's and other parts that put their system at greater risk than this issue does.

Its not going to affect you initially, go get one and go have some fun....in the scheme of things to worry about, this isnt one of them.

And the same chicken littles will reply with some goofy factoid trying to prove their myopic viewpoint....

gogamer2007

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
xinpig: I was thinking about getting either a HD6970 or GTX 570 (I was thinking Spending around $350 for the graphics and buying that nice 27 inch ASUS monitor on newegg.) but not sure which to go with. I have had NVIDIA with all my other computers and would welcome the ability to play 3D down the road, but I have heard nothing but great thing from ATI/Radeon lately.

vvhocare5: Are you sure it is the SATA 3 port? I thought it was the 3.0gbs SATA 2 port. Not that it matters either way as I agree with you, from what I have heard so far, that this is way overblown, and won't even affect me since I wouldnt even use that port anyways. Do you know what store has the MoBo's and CPU's in stock? (I normally buy everything from newegg but they don't carry anything Sandy Bridge)

l2p_iwin

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
If you live near a microcenter they have the CPU's Amazon also is selling them. As far as the mobo's they are hard to find atm. I only saw 3 on ebay today and they are the regular p67 mobo and they are way over priced. I gave you a link to people selling mobo's but I have not bought anything from these dealers so I can not vouch for them. Good luck, and if you do find a good place to buy a mobo please let us know, I am in the market for one as well.

CPU's : http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500K-Processor-Socket-LGA1155/dp/B004EBUXHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297496467&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-2600K-Processor-Socket-LGA1155/dp/B004EBUXSA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297496537&sr=1-1

Mobo : http://www.google.com/search?q=p67&hl=en&tbs=shop%3A1&aq=f#q=p67&hl=en&tbs=shop:1,cat:289&source=lnt&sa=X&ei=ITpWTYfCItTogAes9eXDDA&ved=0CBUQpwU&biw=1242&bih=891&fp=9a208d2ec536306b

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi :hello: ...If you must buy,then you must...Surely you have got some hiding place somewhere to put your money & save some extra towards your $2000-00 cents for your future cougar chipset & sandy bridge combination within the next 3 to 6 months :??: ...Try opening a PayPal account & storing your $2000-00 cents,but make sure you do not spend any of it on eBay or any other site that may use PayPal :pt1cable: ...I do not think PayPal will go bankrupt in the next 6 months or so :??: ...Maybe even a short term deposit account where you can make a little extra cash on the interest that will be made from your savings,but you may have to give tax details depending on which country you live in :) ...You will have to go to a bank & make sure that it is a stable large bank & ask about their short term deposits :) ...There are short term deposits that are for 6 months & I have heard in the past even about 3 months,but try hard to find out about the 3 month one & do not forget that you can not take any or all of your money out until the end of these short term money deposits :pt1cable: ...If you trust all you hear then you might as well buy a new computer based on Intel's sandy bridge line of cpu's,but then again you only have to wait for another 6 more months ;) ...P.S. these ideas are just so your wife can not find any of your spare cash,but beware hide any details of your future term deposits in a safe place away from your wife if you do go that way ;) ...

TRENDING THREADS