Sign in with
Your question

New motherboard for my I5-650 ~

Last response: in Motherboards
February 11, 2011 12:41:41 AM

Looking to get a new motherboard for my I5-650. I currently have a lame dell micro board and I want to move into a better case and motherboard with more slots.

It appears there are 3 main chip-sets. H55, P55 and a Q57.

I will be running 1 ATI 5770 Radeon graphics card.

I was hoping to get a few suggestions on chip-set and brands.

I here Gigabyte is doing well and that Intel is always a safe bet.

I would appreciate any feedback.

More about : motherboard 650

a c 135 V Motherboard
February 11, 2011 5:25:15 AM

ASUS P7P55D-E is a good choice.
m
l
a c 245 V Motherboard
February 11, 2011 4:34:34 PM

The H55 and Q57 chipsets support the integrated graphics of the clarkdale cpu's.
Since you will be using a discrete graphics card, you will want a P55 based motherboard.

The major brands are all good.
Gigabyte and Asus are most popular, but I don't think there is a bad manufacturer out there today.

A full ATX motherboard will have 7 expansion slots.
A micro-ATX will have 4 slots.
A mini-ITX will have only one slot.

Pick according to your needs.

6gb sata and usb3.0 will be on the newer versions, like this Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 LGA for example :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
a c 135 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 9:34:03 AM

If you like Gigabyte,then yes it's a great choice.
m
l
February 12, 2011 10:17:14 AM

dlo_22 said:
Looking to get a new motherboard for my I5-650. I currently have a lame dell micro board and I want to move into a better case and motherboard with more slots.

It appears there are 3 main chip-sets. H55, P55 and a Q57.

I will be running 1 ATI 5770 Radeon graphics card.

I was hoping to get a few suggestions on chip-set and brands.

I here Gigabyte is doing well and that Intel is always a safe bet.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Hi Dlo_22 :hello:  ...Since your core i5 650 has got onboard graphics within the cpu,you can use exactly the same chipsets as you stated above...I myself have an Asus P7H55-M/USB3 motherboard :)  ...If you go to the Asus site you will find that there is enough overclocking features for this on the cheaper side motherboard to use as well as being able to test it's onboard graphic features out of the cpu ;)  ...I myself use two types of processors for this mainboard & they are the core i5 680 & the core i7 875k :)  ...The motherboard has only one PCI-e x16 slot,2 PCI-e x1 slot & 1 PCI 2.0 slot,both usb 2 & 3 ports,it also has 6 sata 2 ports & also 2 sata 3 ports which are not Intel supported sata ports,but marvel I think :??:  ...I have only bought this Asus motherboard recently due to the cougar chipset flaw,I returned my Asus P8P67 Deluxe back and with the proceeds bought the motherboard & cpu from them ;)  ...I will leave now & return back to leave a link to the Asus P7H55-M/USB3 mainboard ;)  ...Hi :hello:  ,I am back again the link is here for you :- http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=MQ8YxXaDGTThb93E&... :o  ...Sorry about this,but the exact page did not come up & only the main Asus site page came :o  ...You can still search for the Asus P7H55-M/USB3 yourself once you are on their main site :)  ...+++...P.S. You only have to go through the bios with my choice of a motherboard to decide if you want to use onboard graphics or to use your own graphic card ( I only mentioned this in case you do not know of the onboard bios selection for either onboard graphics or to use a graphic card instead )...
m
l
February 12, 2011 1:25:19 PM

Well its pretty much down to Asus and Gigabyte at this point. A friend of mine said Asus had fallen off a bit so I was leaning towards Gigabyte.

My friend is good but can be wrong of course.
m
l
February 12, 2011 2:07:10 PM

dlo_22 said:
Well its pretty much down to Asus and Gigabyte at this point. A friend of mine said Asus had fallen off a bit so I was leaning towards Gigabyte.

My friend is good but can be wrong of course.

Hi once again Dlo_22 :hello:  ...I have got a good case that I will tell you about...It is the Coolermaster CM-692 with model # RC-692-KKN2...It is black in colour,1 blue led fan on the lower front of the case,places for fans all over the case even underneath the motherboard which is positioned below the cpu socket area ( 1 x 80mm x 80mm x 15mm will only fit ) :ange:  ...Also with the width of this case you should be able to fit a fairly good cpu cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 all in one cpu cooler,I know,I have one already ;)  :)  :ange:  ...The only thing is,that you will have to buy most of the case fans yourself and also the power supply unit is not included ;)  ...If after going to their site and examining this PC case model you do not like it,there are other brands like Thermalright that have cases that also have that fan just underneath the cpu socket area to help cool your processor from underneath :)  ...
m
l
February 12, 2011 4:52:28 PM

Thanks! Im leaning towards the Antec NineHundred. I own a 650W Corsair power supply and my 5770 should be fine on that. :) 
m
l
!