Budget Replacement Help Needed

bandoth

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a Week BUDGET RANGE: Budget computer - $350 after rebates tops

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Photoshop, general usage, Half Life 2 era gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: No need for hard drive, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS or tower case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Heard good things about AMD CPUs for tight budgets. Motherboard with slots for 4 hard drives would be nice, but not necessarily needed.

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No (Budget remember?)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200 max

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/THE STORY: My computer is quite old and apparently has died. However, I am on a very tight budget and am wondering if the community here could help in at least minimizing the number of parts I need to replace. Since the parts are so old, I'm not too optimistic for just one replacement part, hence the new system section.

For the last few weeks, my 7 year old computer has been suffering from frequent and random restarts. Hoping the problem was merely in a corrupted system file, I decided to roll back my computer a month today. While in the process of doing so, I heard a pop, smelled smoke, and the computer died. I just went to Best Buy to get a replacement power supply (thinking if that was the problem, I would return the psu, then order another online for a better price). A light turned on on my motherboard and the fans start to spin, but then the fans stop and even the bios failed to boot up.

I have inspected the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and GPU to the best of my abilities but found no tell-tale darkening indicating burning.

I am at a loss for determining exactly which part of my computer has failed and was hoping one of you might be able to direct me toward procedures for doing so. Like I said, I am short on cash right now, and would be extremely grateful if you could help me find a solution that costs less than $350. If a single replacement part is inadvisable, then a workable replacement system/upgrade from newegg would be great.

Time is an issue as Photoshop is part of my work. Below are the specs of my dead computer. I would think the biggest issue would be finding a Motherboard with enough slots for my hard drives. I have at least one I can disconnect so don't worry about it too much.

Dead Computer Specs:
CPU: Pentium 4 - 2.4 GHz OC'ed at 2.56 GHz
GPU: Geforce FX 5500 AGP connector
Mobo: Asus p4sdx
RAM: 2 512 MB sticks and 2 256 MB sticks not sure which brand
PSU: 450 w unknown model
4 Hard drives with Windows XP Home installed on one

Hmm ok worse case scenario: this combo still allows u to squeeze in a Samsung F3 500GB SATA HDD if u really have all IDE HDDs and perhaps you could sell those off in the used h/w market and recover some dough hehe
Untitled-86.jpg

Or perhaps reuse the biggest IDE drive/s (up to 2) and hit a HD 4670/5670 if u plan to game

bandoth

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
I'm still not sure about my PSU. It may not have burned out, but it's also quite old and I'm not even sure it has a 24 pin connector. Would this PSU be a good choice for the above setup from zipzoomflyhigh?