Computer Shuts Down After Windows Login

markspinner

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I have a 3 year old system running a Intel Quadcore, 4GB memory, EVGA 8800GT and a 600W PSU. Recently, some of my games started to really drops FPS, and one time the screen totally went blank. I called EVGA (as I had problems with the GPU previously) and they had me read off the 12v rail in the BIOS. It was around 11.8. They told me that an acceptable range was 11.96-12.33 and that the culprit was probably my Rosewill PSU.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I receive my brand new 400W PSU from Newegg. The max current on the 12v is 30a. So I install the PSU tonight and fire up my computer. I go straight into the BIOS to check the 12v rail and it's now 12.264, well in the range of the GPU manufacter's requirement. I proceed to boot into Windows 7 and log in. I step away from my computer for a few minutes come back and my computer is turned off. Weird. I power back on and log into Windows again. I let it sit for maybe 2 minutes and BAM it shuts down again. After it shuts down, I can hear the speakers popping for maybe 6 seconds. I start it up again but this time I unplug a few fans, the DVD drive to see if it's a power issue. Nope, shuts down again. I power it on again but this time I sit in the BIOS. Probably sat at least 5 minutes and no restart. I put my old PSU in and it is no longer shutting down. Check event viewer and only thing I see it reporting is that the computer shut down abruptly.

Any thoughts what this could be? Bad PSU? Not enough power?

markspinner

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

400W PSU is the new Corsair one I purchased and the other is a 600W Rosewill PSU.