dos drivers diags for NEOMAGIC 256AV SOUND ??????? (dell l..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
October 8, 2004 12:34:27 AM

HELP!! looking for dos drivers or stand-alone diags for a neomagic
256AV sound chip (AKA the 2360 chip, which also serves as the video
chip)

Would anyone have any tips on running a NEOMAGIC 256AV sound card/chip
under DOS?

Windrivers sites NADDA

DELL support for this laptop: NADDA
no DOS or WIN3.1 audio drivers..very strange...
NO NT audio drivers either PHHT
No answers anywhere

Dells 32bit diags are having a problem initializing the thing under
pure DOS, but I have not added any drivers or environment variables to
the config.sys or autoexec.bat, so I might be missing something.

ANY DOS drivers or test utils for DOS from other NEOMAGIC 256 machines
would be helpful too..

Have tried a fresh re-install of WIN98SE, drivers, then previous
drivers from DELL site, Windrivers suggested drivers, all to no avail.

DOS is my last chance..

help!
Please post a reply
or decode to email:

kingbeatrythmbox
usual mail of great heat
dawt
calm

check out horrible noise at :
kingbeatrythmbox.iuma.com
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
November 11, 2004 3:23:29 AM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004, need_dos_drivers4_for_Ne@magic_sound.org
<need_dos_drivers4_for_Ne@magic_sound.org> wrote:
> HELP!! looking for dos drivers or stand-alone diags for a neomagic
> 256AV sound chip (AKA the 2360 chip, which also serves as the video
> chip)

The old original 256AV used part of video memory for sound. Is that
laptop pre-2000? Neomagic went out of business years ago.

> Would anyone have any tips on running a NEOMAGIC 256AV sound card/chip
> under DOS?
>
> Windrivers sites NADDA
>
> DELL support for this laptop: NADDA
> no DOS or WIN3.1 audio drivers..very strange...
> NO NT audio drivers either PHHT
> No answers anywhere
>
> Dells 32bit diags are having a problem initializing the thing under
> pure DOS, but I have not added any drivers or environment variables to
> the config.sys or autoexec.bat, so I might be missing something.
>
> ANY DOS drivers or test utils for DOS from other NEOMAGIC 256 machines
> would be helpful too..
>
> Have tried a fresh re-install of WIN98SE, drivers, then previous
> drivers from DELL site, Windrivers suggested drivers, all to no avail.

Didn't the OS it came with have drivers for it?

I wonder if any old Sony PCG-3xx series would give a clue. I have a Sony
PCG-450, with Neomagic 256AV (2.5 MB RAM) video, but separate Yamaha PCI
sound (with legacy SB like sound for DOS). I have been running mostly
Linux for years, which works with svga drivers, but not sure how Linux
support is for 256AV using video RAM for sound.

PS: I had to disable "PnP Bios" in CMOS setup for my PCI sound to work
properly in Linux (which did not affect Win98se any). I wonder if that
needs to be disabled for 256AV sound to work.
!