Choosing SSD's - Quick Question.

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
Hi, I wouldn't consider myself a technical expert but I'm not a novice either :p

Anyway, I'm building a PC, but SSD's are fairly new, I don't really know much about them.

My question is: Will any SSD work with any motherboard? If not what do I have to look out for- what do I have to look at before choosing an SSD for a motherboard

The motherboard I'll be using for my build is the GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
Thanks very much mate, I'm only going to be using an SSD to install Windows on and for software I use on a day to day basis- so like office 2010 etc.

Thats why I don't really want a big SSD- particularly because my budget is going to be limited for the SSD- just about £40 which is about $65 in the US

Is there anything in that price range that you know will work with my motherboard but is also a decent SSD?

Thanks so much pal.

I think something like a Crucial M4 64GB SSD would do well for your needs. Personally, I would opt to go with something a little bit bigger like a 120GB, but my 60GB SSD served me well for about a year :)

When I used my 60GB SSD, after installing Windows and configuring Paging Files to my HDD, I had about 35GB free which left me plenty of room for the programs I used most often (one of them being Office 2010).

**Crucial M4 64GB is around $75 at the moment..a little over-budget but it's the cheapest and most reliable SSD I can think of at the moment.**

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
Will this Samsung 64GB 830 SSD SATA work with this motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 and is it a good choice?

Yes the Samsung SSD you have listed is very good. A few friends of mine use them and they're all very pleased with their performance.

As for Motherboard and SSD compatibility, you shouldn't worry :) anything will work with it.

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
Alrite I'd like to thank you for your quick replies. Really appreciated mate. It's the first time that I'm building a PC and I'd like to make sure all the parts I get work together. It'd be annoying to have wasted money with something that doesn't work with the motherboard. Thanks again :)

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
I know and cause like a fraction of the money is my dad's he'd be pissed if his money ended up being wasted lol- thats part of the reason why I have such a low budget.

One quick question, sorry about this, but would you know anything about normal HDD's

I mean would the Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Drive OEM work with my motherboard?

It's just because, I'll have an SSD for windows and like the main programs I use as I said- photoshop and office, but a regular spinning harddisk for other programs.

Cheers :)

Yes, that would work as well! That's a good call on your part as I forgot to mention it. I personally use an SSD for Windows and a few applications I frequently use, and have a 1TB storage drive for other things :)

You don't have to worry about Hard Drive compatibility as well, anything will work! :)

anwix

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
Thanks a lot mate. I've got my parts list sorted and I just have one problem it goes way beyond my budget. I just couldn't find any decent pc case for cheap or a decent power supply which wasn't a rip off. :S

You're very welcome! Though what site are you purchasing these parts from? And what PSU did you settle with? Maybe I can be of assistance on making your budget :)

Also on a side note, how much is the Samsung 830 SSD that you were looking at? The Samsung drive and Crucial M4 perform very close, and if the price is right, the M4 may be the better deal as it's $20 cheaper in the USA.