Help Troubleshooting Please :)

Gfresh404

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Hello all

My computer started acting up about a week ago - all my issues started showing up right after we traveled with my computer. I brought it to school in NC - I live in MA. Anyway, about 70% of the time, the video signal would become glitchy or not even show up at all. It would only seem to consistently boot up after I hit the reset button after my first attempt with the power button.

All the lights and fans seems to be working okay. Also, I just sent in my GPU and they said everything checked out okay. So I am thinking either PSU or MOBO? Are there any quick ways to check?

Any thoughts, suggestions, troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

One thing I should add, when I noticed things weren't working right, I opened up the case and noticed that some hand screws had become loose - they were holding the GPU in place. Is it possible these short circuited my MOBO when I tried to power it up?

Thanks in advance!

Reseat all connections to the video card, optical and hardrives, and the power supply connection to the video card if used. Something may be loose. The loose screws aren't the problem if the board still powers up with the reset button (reboot). The power supply can go at any time. I also clean the ps and cpu fans with canned air solvent at least once a year to keep them turning properly so the system stays cool.