Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Cannot get windows 7 to install. Please help, driving me nuts.

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 11, 2011 8:43:46 AM

Hello All,
My PC is giving me issues. I bought two gtx 570's to replace my gtx 260. When i put them in my motherboard crashed, so i rma'd it. The new motherboard came and i put the windows cd in and went to load the os again. But after windows loaded the files into memory, way before the actual install, it stopped. Then i get a window that pops up;
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Windows Boot Manager.
Windows failed to start, A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
..
..
.. Etc

Status: 0xc0000225
Info: an unexpected error has occured.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The OS cd is already in, i try to continue and it just loops and im back at the same page.

I was able to get windows xp to install without any issue. but still cant get 7 to install.

System:
Intel q9300
4gb ddr2 ocz reaper 8500
intel x-25 ssd
corsair professional 850
Evga 2 gtx 570 - yet to enjoy
evga 750i FTW

UPDATE: So i tried to reinstall xp now, and i got an error.
______________________________________________________
fatal error:

an error has been encountered that prevents setup form continuing.
one of the componenets that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

If you are installing from a cd, there might be a problem witht he disc; try cleaning the disc or using another disk.

Etc.
_______________________________________________________________

I have tried:
A different install CD (both burned but legit.)
-The first cd i have used to install windows 7 on my machine 5 times or so with no trouble.
different optical drive.
one stick of ram
only one video card, tried both solo and together.
Tried using my 260 instead
Switched psu
flashed bios
tried different sata ports
changed bios settings (cant remember off the top of my head which ones.)
ran memtest from memtest.org for 2.5 hours. no errors
Already Rma'd the board, this is my second RMA with the exact same problem.
Different HDD's. Tried just normal sata hdd and an extra ssd i have.
formated the hdd prior to installing.[/spoiler]
a c 212 V Motherboard
February 11, 2011 12:55:43 PM

Are you trying to upgrade an existing install or a new "clean" install?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2011 12:58:20 PM

So Windows 7 will install on a different machine with one of your discs you say? Install it on that machine, restart in safe mode, swap the HDD (or SSD in your case) into your new machine, and boot to safe mode. Let it auto install whatever it wants then reboot. I've swapped Windows 7 between machines a couple times and it seems to handle it better than XP. No guarantee this will work, but it's worth a shot.

Also, does your BIOS recognize your SSD? That really shouldn't matter and you've probably checked that, but I thought I'd ask.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 11, 2011 1:09:07 PM

Swapping a Win7 hard drive between different PC's is pretty ghetto - it might work and it might not.

Start simple - 1 GPU, one stick of memory everything else out.
In the bios make sure the SSD is AHCI or RAID.
Make sure all of your power connections are in place. The number of systems I have fixed for friends who cant get the power right is incredible.
Set the voltage for your RAM, make sure the RAM specs are ultra conservative.
Install the DVD and delete the partition and reformat the SSD

Then tell us where you are at...
m
0
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
February 11, 2011 1:23:26 PM

vvhocare5 said:
Swapping a Win7 hard drive between different PC's is pretty ghetto - it might work and it might not.

Start simple - 1 GPU, one stick of memory everything else out.
In the bios make sure the SSD is AHCI or RAID.
Make sure all of your power connections are in place. The number of systems I have fixed for friends who cant get the power right is incredible.
Set the voltage for your RAM, make sure the RAM specs are ultra conservative.
Install the DVD and delete the partition and reformat the SSD

Then tell us where you are at...

+1 in reference to the AHCI or RAID setting. That makes a huge difference when moving installs. The other advice of simplifying the hardware config is also useful. However, the OP is describing a system booting directly from the SSD/HDD to initiate an upgrade install from Windows. The hardware detection process is what appears to be failing (and thus the proper SATA mode setting suggested).

Booting directly from the DVD and installing a clean install should alleviate all of this.....
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2011 1:29:56 PM

I guess I was kinda assuming he did all that--in which case swapping drives was all I had. But you're right. He probably messed up somewhere there.
m
0
l
February 11, 2011 5:05:01 PM

Thank you all for so many ideas and responses. Toms really is an awesome community. I have been using toms for all kinds of things. This is my first post, very happy and surprised.


COLgeek,
I am trying to do a clean install. I had windows 7 installed before i rmd'd my board. When i reinstalled it, i got a media error and to check the cables. I then tried and installed xp (worked fine). Then tried to install 7 again to replace xp, it failed with the boot manager windows, i coudlnt install 7 from xp because my xp is x86 and my 7 is x64. I then loaded xp cd to format my ssd. Then tried again, still same error.


dalauder:
I tried taking my hdd out of my laptop and putting it in my pc, but it failed to start, i got an error. I cant remember which one though.

Are you saying to restart in safe mode then shut down and put it in my main pc? will it remember to start in safe mode? Because i havnt even gotten it to load up to windows yet.

And yes, the bios recognizes my SSD, its the same ssd i used prior too.

vvhocare5:
I dont believe my motherboard supports AHCI. If it does, i havnt found it yet.
And yeah all the power connectors are in place. Ive checked, and rechecked them to many times to list.

I set the ram to the ocz recommended settings.
With no luck.

COLGeek:
I have been trying to install directly from the disk. and that is where i have been getting the errors.
I do agree that it seems to be a sata control issue. But i dont understand why xp would work and not 7, are they handled differently?

Sorry i am not the most pc literate.






m
0
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
February 11, 2011 6:00:28 PM

tdunlap0001 said:
Thank you all for so many ideas and responses. Toms really is an awesome community. I have been using toms for all kinds of things. This is my first post, very happy and surprised.


COLgeek,
I am trying to do a clean install. I had windows 7 installed before i rmd'd my board. When i reinstalled it, i got a media error and to check the cables. I then tried and installed xp (worked fine). Then tried to install 7 again to replace xp, it failed with the boot manager windows, i coudlnt install 7 from xp because my xp is x86 and my 7 is x64. I then loaded xp cd to format my ssd. Then tried again, still same error.


dalauder:
I tried taking my hdd out of my laptop and putting it in my pc, but it failed to start, i got an error. I cant remember which one though.

Are you saying to restart in safe mode then shut down and put it in my main pc? will it remember to start in safe mode? Because i havnt even gotten it to load up to windows yet.

And yes, the bios recognizes my SSD, its the same ssd i used prior too.

vvhocare5:
I dont believe my motherboard supports AHCI. If it does, i havnt found it yet.
And yeah all the power connectors are in place. Ive checked, and rechecked them to many times to list.

I set the ram to the ocz recommended settings.
With no luck.

COLGeek:
I have been trying to install directly from the disk. and that is where i have been getting the errors.
I do agree that it seems to be a sata control issue. But i dont understand why xp would work and not 7, are they handled differently?

Sorry i am not the most pc literate.


In your BIOS, what mode is your SATA set to (AHCI, RAID, or IDE)? What is your primary boot disk (SSD or HDD)?
m
0
l
February 11, 2011 9:46:16 PM

COLGeek said:
In your BIOS, what mode is your SATA set to (AHCI, RAID, or IDE)? What is your primary boot disk (SSD or HDD)?

I have searched around for the option, but i havnt found it. i checked on Google and i came across a few posts saying that the 750i ftw doesn't offer AHCI. and my raid options are under its own header.

Could you point me in the right direction?
m
0
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 12:21:28 AM

Most mobo BIOSes have in the SATA/IDE configuration area. Sorry I can't be more specific.
m
0
l

Best solution

February 12, 2011 2:35:26 AM

If I understand what you have tried all of your drives are set to IDE. That is the only way you would have been able to install XP unless you have slipstreamed drivers or loaded them during install which I think is unlikely. If your DVD drive is on an IDE port Win 7 may not install. It will not install from my IDE DVD drive on one of my PCs. You will have to find the option in the BIOS to set the SATA ports. It should be on one of the first pages. Be more specific. How long did you have the original system working with Win 7 before you swapped out the video card? Were all of these parts in the original system?
Share
February 12, 2011 2:48:41 AM

turk_1000 said:
If I understand what you have tried all of your drives are set to IDE. That is the only way you would have been able to install XP unless you have slipstreamed drivers or loaded them during install which I think is unlikely. If your DVD drive is on an IDE port Win 7 may not install. It will not install from my IDE DVD drive on one of my PCs. You will have to find the option in the BIOS to set the SATA ports. It should be on one of the first pages. Be more specific. How long did you have the original system working with Win 7 before you swapped out the video card? Were all of these parts in the original system?

I had the system working for a good few years with the gtx 260. After i tried switching to the sli gtx 570, the mb crashed and when the rma came i found that i needed a bigger psu, this is how i ended up with the corsair. Everything else is the same i had in the previous setup. I just went and got a new cd/dvd writer/burner. I am getting the same error.
On a side note, i got another error after getting the new cd drive when i tried to install xp,
______________________
fatal error

An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.
etc
___________________________
m
0
l
February 12, 2011 5:07:00 AM

Thanks all for the help,
Its now working. but it seems to be freezing a bunch. but i think this is from using an ssd one a mb that doesnt fully support it.

It was a combination of trying to load windows from an IDE cd rom and bios settings.

Thanks again.
m
0
l
February 21, 2011 2:24:17 AM

Best answer selected by tdunlap0001.
m
0
l
!